Options

Replies

• oneworkoutatatime
    Options
    Water.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I believe celery only has about 15 calories for two large stalks and I've heard it takes a bit more energy to chew/digest than other foods. ?????
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I believe celery only has about 15 calories for two large stalks and I've heard it takes a bit more energy to chew/digest than other foods. ?????
    Your bmr includes already includes digestion. A calorie is a calorie. If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. If you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight. There are no foods that you can eat that are not going to factor into this equation.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I think WW point system is different now. Fruit definitely has points and I think it has for quite a while. Vegetables now have points, too, but I think they're 1 point per serving depending on the veg. I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

You could have an egg white and veggie omelet if you're low on calories for the day. Egg whites are only 17 calories. Add sauteed onion, bell pepper, and some sliced tomato for not much more. Sargento Ultra Thin slice cheese for a bit of protein.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think WW point system is different now. Fruit definitely has points and I think it has for quite a while. Vegetables now have points, too, but I think they're 1 point per serving depending on the veg. I could be wrong. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

You could have an egg white and veggie omelet if you're low on calories for the day. Egg whites are only 17 calories. Add sauteed onion, bell pepper, and some sliced tomato for not much more. Sargento Ultra Thin slice cheese for a bit of protein.

Nope, WW has made all but starchy veg and all fruit 0 points.It's crazy. People eating 5-6 serves a fruit a day and wondering why they aren't losing.
  • STKari
    STKari Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's all fine and dandy and I do have a scale to do so, but, even so when I type something in with the measurements I get different calorie counts its frustrating.

ETA: Sorry meant to quote and reply here.
  • STKari
    Options
    Air. Swallow lots of air.

I am here for support not comments like this.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

you'll want to get used to comments, good and bad. This is a big organic conversation and you can't dictate the way people will reply.
  • STKari
    Options
    If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. If you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight.

Then why when you exercise does My fitness pal tell you to add more calories? To me that is saying you aren't burning more calories than you eat. Also, if your diet contains less than 1200 calories no matter what your weight you likely aren't going to lose weight according to studies. This includes burning off say 400 on a 1500 calorie diet. What you are saying just doesn't make sense there about burning more calories than you eat and loosing weight based on scientific studies.
  • STKari
    Options

you'll want to get used to comments, good and bad. This is a big organic conversation and you can't dictate the way people will reply.

I am new here and very vulnerable I would appreciate nicer replies if that isn't what this board is about (support) then maybe I need to be elsewhere any way. I can handle constructive criticism and hearing what I don't want to hear just fine but being rude to me when I am here for support (and presumably we all are) is just not helpful to my journey at all.

I'm not talking about dictating the way people reply, I'm saying that I am at a spot in my weight loss journey where I need support and I won't tolerate someone being this way as I struggle through. If that is what is supported here then I will just not participate here in the community. Perhaps sparkpeople is a better place IDK.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If you eat more calories than you burn you will gain weight. If you burn more calories than you eat you will lose weight.

Then why when you exercise does My fitness pal tell you to add more calories? To me that is saying you aren't burning more calories than you eat. Also, if your diet contains less than 1200 calories no matter what your weight you likely aren't going to lose weight according to studies. This includes burning off say 400 on a 1500 calorie diet. What you are saying just doesn't make sense there about burning more calories than you eat and loosing weight based on scientific studies.

You burn calories just by existing. That's your BMR. MFP has already figured your deficit, which is why they give you extra calories if you exercise, so that you don't make your deficit too large.

I burn 1760 calories just by being alive and going about my normal day. If I eat 1760 calories, I stay the same weight. If I eat less than that I lose. If I eat more than that I gain. If MFP gives me 1400 as my goal that's a 360 calorie deficit and it intends for me to keep my deficit that size. So if I then exercise and burn off 200 calories my deficit has grown to 560 and I can eat those calories back to get my original goal.

You shouldn't compare other programs to MFP and try to take rules from one and apply it to another. Weight watchers rules don't work here because it's a different program.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Doesn't our BMR/TDEE already take into consideration the number of calories we burn (on average of course) through digestion on a given day? so, then if we count something as zero or negative calorie based on the effort to digest it... we'd be counting that burn twice... right?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Doesn't our BMR/TDEE already take into consideration the number of calories we burn (on average of course) through digestion on a given day? so, then if we count something as zero or negative calorie based on the effort to digest it... we'd be counting that burn twice... right?

Yes that's right.
  • aparis33
    aparis33 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am just sitting here hungry... I have over 600 calories left for today so I need to eat again but I am wondering what to do when you really really are hungry and have no calories left.

As someone else mentioned, you'd need to exercise more to "get more calories back" (for lack of a better phrase). If you're really hungry, eat... Worry about the calories the next day. You might need to make smarter meal choices to help prevent the situation from happening again. But it's not a healthy/sustainable habit to, say, stop eating at 3:00 p.m. one day just because you "don't have any calories left." I've seen people do this and it's torture that can be avoided. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    That's all fine and dandy and I do have a scale to do so, but, even so when I type something in with the measurements I get different calorie counts its frustrating.

Oh about this.

There are usually entries, especially for whole foods, that do not have an asterisk next to them. Those are the non-user-entered entries and they're more accurate. If you have to go with user entered data try to find one with multiple confirmations. Make sure you specify raw or cooked if you're doing meat. Enter your own recipes. If you make lasagna create your own recipe, don't just pick lasagna from the database because your diary will be wildly inaccurate.

Measure free-pouring liquids. Weigh everything else. An accurate diary is very important.
  • STKari
    Options

Oh about this.

There are usually entries, especially for whole foods, that do not have an asterisk next to them. Those are the non-user-entered entries and they're more accurate. If you have to go with user entered data try to find one with multiple confirmations. Make sure you specify raw or cooked if you're doing meat. Enter your own recipes. If you make lasagna create your own recipe, don't just pick lasagna from the database because your diary will be wildly inaccurate.

Measure free-pouring liquids. Weigh everything else. An accurate diary is very important.

That is helpful, thank you. I don't think I've seen cooked meat vs. raw meat as an option when I've created a recipe or just logged what I ate.
  • STKari
    Options
    I am just sitting here hungry... I have over 600 calories left for today so I need to eat again but I am wondering what to do when you really really are hungry and have no calories left.

As someone else mentioned, you'd need to exercise more to "get more calories back" (for lack of a better phrase). If you're really hungry, eat... Worry about the calories the next day. You might need to make smarter meal choices to help prevent the situation from happening again. But it's not a healthy/sustainable habit to, say, stop eating at 3:00 p.m. one day just because you "don't have any calories left." I've seen people do this and it's torture that can be avoided. :)

I don't really have this problem at least not yet... I can see it happening a time or two. My problem is not being able to reach my calorie goals sometimes by a lot... sometimes I don't even hit 1200 (without exercising). I can't eat when I am not hungry but I am eating very healthy. For example my breakfast was scrambled egg whites with some veggies and I had a couple of strawberries on the side it was 53 calories total. That set the tone for my day and I had a hard time getting in calories. After my last snack I decided it is way to late to be adding much more and I'm not hungry anymore with a snack and some water. But, research (and MFP) tells me I won't lose weight like this.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Sirachi Noodles from Whole foods or any other organic shops. Its a zero calorie noodle. Walden farms sauces and condiments.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Haaa No you should deff count them all the little calories add up in your day, so Fruits have calories Yes veggies have calories yes they all need to be added up for the best, success you can get!
  • dazzo62
    dazzo62 Posts: 78
    Options
    What"s that saying? Nothing in life is free!

I have lost and maintained 70 lbs on a VERY OLD Weight Watcher program (25 years old).
    I never followed the points system because I didn't believe in all of that free fruit. However,I have always been pretty liberal with vegetables - if you overeat a large green salad with a little olive oil/ lemon or vinegar you are not going to gain weight. And you will feel full and satisfied. I always try to have a cooked veg plus a salad with dinner.
    I like to snack on raw red pepper strips.
    Yes, water, - but also- Twinings makes a lovely Lemon and Ginger herb tea that is delicious and seems to help me either between meals or after dinner. ????