Veggies! Which ones do you love and how do you prepare them?

Options
I thought this might be sorta fun. Basically, the idea is to tell about your favorite veggie and how you go about preparing it.

I'm addicted to grilled Green Beans sauteed with olive oil and then tossed with a light spattering of lemon, crunched up walnuts and a light amount of walnut oil.

I also love cooking broccoli in the oven with garlic, lemon and mozzarella cheese. Yum!

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I love basically any veggie roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper. My favorites are broccoli, red peppers, onions, zucchini, and carrots.

Right now I'm on a "creamy" broccoli kick -- 3 cups of broccoli and a head of garlic roasted and then tossed with 1/2 cup of garlic hummus.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    My favorite is broccoli and carrots. Chop brococoli into florets, peel and slice carrot into rounds, steam together, mix in a little olive oil and sea salt.
  • stephaniecaine82
    stephaniecaine82 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I love this idea!!
    I love asparagus, marinated in balsamic vinegar with garlic salt and pepper...then grilled on the BBQ!!
    I also love Broccoli steamed in my Tupperware steamer with seasonings!
  • Alesanarose1
    Alesanarose1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd probably have to say Char-grilled Mediterranean mixed veggies (peppers, onion, cherry tomatoes & zucchini), all drizzled with olive oil. Really brings out the flavours!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Love veggies stir fried in a little oil or roasted and brushed with olive oil. But I tend to steam most of mt vegetables lightly and add a little butter. Very few vegetables I do not like, but my favourites are broccoli, butternut, mangetout, carrot and swede crushed together, cabbage, spinach, asparagus, zuccini and brussels sprouts. I can happily munch through a pound of vegetables with my dinner.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I need to try the carrots and broccoli mix. Yum. That sounds good. How long does it take for the carrots to cook? I've always wondered about that one.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat more raw veggies. I love carrots, celery, snap peas, cucumber, radishes, and lots of greens. I will make salads or have them with a little hummus or peanut butter. My husband will only eat peas, green beans, and cooked carrots, which I don't much care for, so I don't do a lot of cooked veggies. I am going to start "hiding" veggies in things like meat loaf, soups, muffins, and anything else I can think of that will disguise the veggies.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    monica, I only steam the broccoli and carrots for 3 minutes to five minutes. Never more than five minutes. They are more nutritious when only lightly cooked. slightly crunchy is okay! Soggy overcooked is yucky, too!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I pretty much throw a handful of baby spinach in whatever I'm eating- sandwiches, eggs, pasta sauce, pizza. It works in everything really.

I eat a lot of raw carrot and celery and always have steamed broccoli on hand to add to meals. I also love red onions and capsicum and throw those into most things I cook
  • stacifahlsing
    stacifahlsing Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE sliced zucchini, onion, and garlic sauteed in olive oil with fresh dill chopped up and mixed in! I sprinkle on sea salt and gobble it down! I have tried to make a lot so I can have it for lunches, but always sneak in and eat up the extras! : ) It screams summer in a pan!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I love roasted veggies. That's my favorite preparation for them. I like to do red potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and onions all roasted together (preferably with some meat, but not always).

I also love asparagus sauteed in just a little butter.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    the word "veggies" makes me cringe
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Frozen sugar snap peas from stop and shop. They're awesome!
  • happydispatcher
    happydispatcher Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I love almost all veggies raw with the exception of onions. I make my own homemade hummus with whitebeans instead of chicpeas and eat it on the raw veggies.
  • mprat210
    mprat210 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like making creamy broccoli or cauliflower. I boil them until soft and mash them with Green Mountain Farms - Greek Cream Cheese. I used to just use light cream cheese but then discovered the Greek cream cheese. It is so good. Sometimes I add a little skim milk if they are too thick and maybe a bit of butter. My kids love them this way too.
  • TayzerFun
    TayzerFun Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound kinda icky to some people, but I love roasting brussel sprouts! Roasting them takes that weird cabbage flavor away. You make sure they are really dry and cut them in half or into quarters. Spread them on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast until a bit dark in spots. You can make a dipping sauce with some greek yogurt, lemon juice, minced garlic, and salt and pepper. Really yummy! I also like to take some onion, carrot, and parsnips and roast them the same way. The parsnips are kind spicy and the carrot is sweet..... great combo!
  • charismanoodles
    charismanoodles Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato. Mashed or baked as fries with aioli yumm
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Steamed broccoli with cheese sauce
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    salad. i eat two a day over summer <3

in winter, steamed veges, often with nothing, sometimes with a little hummus or pesto or chilli or honey-sesame or something.

can't pick a fave :D