Broken foot

Options
I broke my foot back in January and have been somewhat unable to get around, now it looks as though I have to have surgery. I have gained 5 pounds since January 24th and was wondering if there were any excercises that I could do in order to get some sort of activity going? I cannot continue to gain weight, I m depressed about my foot and I don't want the added stress of gaining weight on top of it.

Replies

• aedfit
    aedfit Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hi. I feel your pain. I injured by knee on February 3rd and have been on crutches since then. I had reconstructive surgery on my knee last Monday but it's going to be a long road to recovery. I've been told at least 5 months until full aerobic activity. Like you, I'm concerned about gaining wieght and losing muscle. I've gained about 4 pounds so far but I feel very out of shape. I just bought two sets of dumbells and am going to start doing some upper body work for now. Basic arm exercises to at least build some muscle. More muscle means more caloric burn. I'm also going to have a trainer come to my house and set up a routine for me that will get my heart rate up while still sitting down.

Let me know if you'e like to team up for support. I could certainly use the encouragement.
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If you two aren't in casts, I'd say find a gym to swim at! Plus, after an arm heavy workout the hottub will feel great on those injuries!
  • sky379
    sky379 Posts: 46
    Options
    I definetely know how you are feeling. I broke my ankle in January playing soccer. I was training for 2 marathons and was used to running every day. Thankfully I do not have to get surgery. Are you still in a cast? I started going to physical therapy right after the accident, since I was in a boot. I was able to go to the gym and do the recumbent bike. It became my best friend! I would go to the gym with cruches and sit on the bike for about an hour. The bike is good because it doesn't require the ankle or foot to move. The recumbent bike is different than the bike used for spinning.
    I also did a lot of pilates or floor exercises at home. Just put TV on and lie on the floor and do some leg exercises.
    Also you can do strength training.
    I was also really depressed about my foot, especially since I was no longer able to run the marathons. Still not able to run, but I'd rather have it heal correctly than have to deal with injury in the future.
    Hope that helps.