There's a reason "fat burners" that work are banned.

Options
jonnythan
jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
This is a "there are no magic pills" post. People always ask about this or that "fat burning" or "metabolism boosting" pill or supplement. Whether it's cayenne or green tea or whatever, the answer is always the same: "they don't work, focus on calorie control and exercise."

But I want to point out one thing. There are magic pills that boost your metabolism. They're also illegal, because they're very dangerous. And they're not dangerous because they have unrelated side effects: they're illegal and dangerous because increasing your metabolism is inherently dangerous.

Taking substances that actually boost your metabolism is playing with your life. Literally.

Think about that when you see some pill that claims to "boost" or "kick start" your metabolism. If it actually worked, it would be dangerous and probably be straight-up banned in short order.

Replies

• Ploogy
    Ploogy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There are tons of folks who've achieved successful weight loss with low-level use of dinitrophenol. I wouldn't say its playing with your life. The reason they are banned is because the gap in "therapeutic" use and "death" is small enough that you'll have legions of people with the more-is-better attitude dying as a result of taking too much.

Its unfortunate, but I think there's a place for some of them, but society isn't able to handle it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have died taking DNP. You can minimize the chances of actual death by taking relatively low doses, but even those lower doses result in elevated body temperature, sweats, increased heart rate, etc. AFAIK there are no long-term studies looking at lasting systemic effects and whatnot.

But you can't deny DNP is dangerous. It's sort of the perfect metabolism booster, as it simply makes metabolism less efficient. But it's still dangerous and illegal.

Anyway, the entire point isn't whether DNP is good or bad. The point is that all those magic pills that are supposed to boost your metabolism don't. The things that actually boost your metabolism kill people.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    I've heard crack cocaine is good for weight loss, does it come in shakes? It has a lot of celebrity endorsement so it must be good.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    When I was 18 and stupid, I took some ephedrine for an energy boost on a regular basis. I was working three part time jobs and there were inevitably days that I worked all three jobs at once. It was awesome. I'm glad I didn't take a lot of it or take it for too long considering the long term ramifications.

But, yeah, I know what you're saying.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I've heard crack cocaine is good for weight loss, does it come in shakes? It has a lot of celebrity endorsement so it must be good.

I've not tried it, so apparently I'm not allowed an opinion. Even if I'm the Head of Crackology and Coke Studies, University of Toking and Snuffing.
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options

I've not tried it, so apparently I'm not allowed an opinion. Even if I'm the Head of Crackology and Coke Studies, University of Toking and Snuffing.

You have no experience!!!

I don't mind negative or positive opinions, as long as they in no way conflict with or contradict my own!

Now stop harassing me!
  • Ploogy
    Options
    The point is that all those magic pills that are supposed to boost your metabolism don't. The things that actually boost your metabolism kill people.

Fair enough. Amphetamines and the like still seem to be prescribed despite having extremely dangerous side effect profiles. I think pat of the reason DNP isn't marketed is that it isn't patentable, and therefore there is no interest by Big Pharma in trying to turn it into a sellable product. I'm shocked that Phentermine is still being sold after all the heart valve issue it caused some years back.

Ahh, the days of Dan Duchaine. Those were fun times!
  • Ploogy
    Options
    What are the long term ramifications of taking ephedrine?
    When I was 18 and stupid, I took some ephedrine for an energy boost on a regular basis. I was working three part time jobs and there were inevitably days that I worked all three jobs at once. It was awesome. I'm glad I didn't take a lot of it or take it for too long considering the long term ramifications.

• CristinaL1983
    Options

I'm pretty sure the reason it's illegal is because of the CNS problems, seizures, and heart issues including heart attacks.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the reason it's illegal is because of the CNS problems, seizures, and heart issues including heart attacks.

I thought it's mostly illegal because people turn it into meth.
  • CristinaL1983
    Options

I thought it's mostly illegal because people turn it into meth.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/legal-ephedra/index.htm
    Turns out the FDA banned alkaloids of ephedrine, found mainly in the stem of the ephedra sinica species. It's the chemical presumably responsible for weight loss but also for boosting heart rate and blood pressure. Adverse effects included heart attacks, strokes, seizures, and even death.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I heard one of the side effects is that it turns you into a supermodel or rock star. Or sitcom actor winning at everything.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Yeah, the "StemFast" diet plan.
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. Before my thyroidectomy, I was severely hypothryoid which did result in an increase in my metabolism, but also resulted in debilitating heart palpitations, a resting heart rate above 110 bpm, severe anxiety, insomnia, and a host of other seriously hardcore symptoms. My doctor told me recently that he is glad we decided to go with a thyroidectomy because I was at a real risk of heart failure. After going through that, I would NEVER want to artificially raise my metabolism again. It was hell, pure hell.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    A friend of a friend of a friend who lives down the street from another friend who is now doing hard time for this suggested meth. You burn loads of calories because you cannot sleep so you have time to exercise, pace constantly (good cardio) and you generally lose your appetite. Some unfortunate side effects include all your teeth falling out, aging 50 years in a matter of weeks, losing friends, being hooked instantly on meth, unappealing lesions on your face, all your money going to your habit and potentially ending up in prison. But hey! - you don't have to worry about your weight...

I have a family history of leaky heart valves so that fen medication is out of the question. It just seems that any medication that has a longer warning list than list of ingredients should be avoided. The only effect I got from a diet pill was that I barfed when I saw the NV commercial endorsed by Kim Kardashian.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

Its not illegal. You just have to show your id at a pharmacy to buy it.. Comes in products like Bronkaid..etc