No motivation for strength training or other workouts

Options
Hi guys! Seeking a bit of advice if anyone would like to offer.

I'm looking to drop around 5-8kg over the next few months...it's achievable because I'm tall and don't want to be underweight.
I'm in my first week of working out and trying to eat better. I've worked out on the treadmill, elliptical/xtrainer and the bikes and am sweaty and feel great after a workout of around 30-45 mins + nightly walks around the block.

However, I carry most of my weight in my mid section and am finding that it probably won't shift with just cardio. But I don't like doing crunches, sit-ups, planks or squats...I just give up for some reason :S Probably a lot of you will say just do it and that it's just self determination, but has anyone else been through this and been able to successfully do these activities as part of their routine.

I would do them at home rather than the gym also. xx

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    You really should just do it. The results are addictive.
  • princeliam
    Options
    Hey, B@H, the big thing about weight around your midsection (or, as I call it, "Male Pattern Weight Gain") is that it won't come off just by working your core. You need to burn it off with full-body exercise, I know from experience.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Follow this simple flowchart

tJzqgvi.png
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    planks and sit ups won't give you a flat stomach or make any kind of weight shift around. no exercise makes weight shift around.

if you just want to drop weight, it's all about a calorie deficit.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are great, Kettlenetics is a fun workout to start with. They help alot and "most" of the excercises with them are standing ones, that is my hardest area to lose weight too. I have 3 kids and accumulated some from that and some from the medications I've been on in the past. But I have started to see some success from the kettlenetics
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    hiyah not successful yet but getting better each day. was mortified when i did my first plank. never heard of such things before. its really a case of keep going. keep going. apart from spinning i do my workouts at home. check out you tube lots of workouts there
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Follow this simple flowchart

tJzqgvi.png

And that's all there is to it! :)
  • nornyb
    nornyb Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the way to lose the extra weight, you can't "shift" it around, we can't make fat move from one place to another on our bodies. Keep burning the calories and it will go away. What do you want to be left with when it is gone? Ab/core work will tighten up the muscles and give you nice tone and improve your posture. Start with easier stuff and work your way up to the harder stuff, like planks, or don't, planks are not the only way to tighten your mid section. Find things that will that you like, or at least don't mind doing. Get a stability ball, most of them come with dvd's on how to use them.