Vegetarians I have a ?

Options
For those of you who are Vegan or Vegetarian, how do you get enough protein? I am considering going vegetarian.

Replies

• nicoled6842
    Options
    I just decided to switch, and if you go to PETAs website, they have some great information that I have found really really helpful. If you are going to continue consuming dairy products, Greek yogurt and cottage cheese have a decent amount.
  • Ayirela
    Ayirela Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've only started and if you join Happy Herbivores there is a lot of information and seriously helpful people. Very nice community there and full of advice. I had received an email with a bunch of links to recipes that are high in protien....etc....great group. After giving up animal products and by products for only the last 4 or 5 days I already feel so much better. I always was getting sick and had terrible nausea and stomach pains every time I ate a meat dish for the last year. Decided to eat vegan for 30 days to see if it helps. So far I've not had an ounce of nausea :) It's a very filling diet as well. Most of the stuff is pretty low on calories and substantial to boot. :)
  • babydiego87
    babydiego87 Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    dairy, beans, lentils, pulses and meat substitutes. have a look at my diary, im usually over or close to target.
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Quorn! Loads of protein in Quorn products. Tofu has a lot of protein. I also have one meal replacement a day which is full of protein.And unlike the hhardcore veggies here, I am pescetarian, so I get my protein from fish (no hate please!)
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans, soy... I'm vegetarian and I also eat low-fat edam cheese sometimes.
  • kusterer
    kusterer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    IMO, some younger adult members of my family don't. For those who do:

Soy almost every day, fermented is healthiest, but I usually just make oatmeal-and-blueberries with soy milk, or put it on whole grain cereals, also with blueberries.

Beans! Fortunately, where we long lived, beans and tortillas came with every meal, and mashed black beans (supposed "refried") were a comfort food. like mashed potatoes here. Just open and drain a can of whole beans, put some healthy oil in the pot. and mash with a potato masher while heating. The smaller the bean, the higher the percentage of "germ" (the proto-seedling), which is the protein.

Nuts. High fat, but among the best kinds of fat there is. Drink almond milk, or munch almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, or brazil nuts, probably others. Seeds are very good, too.

Whole grains. Among "normal" grains, oats have the kighest % of protein.
  • unfeigned
    unfeigned Posts: 30
    Options
    That's interesting for me. I am vegetarian for roughly 4 years and never had problems with protein intake. I eat a lot of dairy products (cottage cheese is perfect for your diet!) and seitan (google it :bigsmile: ). I was also vegan for 6 months and have to admit during those 6 months I felt better than ever before in my life. But I did miss cheese a lot, therefore I am back to being vegetarian.
  • babydiego87
    Options
    Quorn! Loads of protein in Quorn products. Tofu has a lot of protein. I also have one meal replacement a day which is full of protein.And unlike the hhardcore veggies here, I am pescetarian, so I get my protein from fish (no hate please!)
    'hardcore' you mean an actual vegetarian? no offence.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Beans, nuts, whole grains, eggs, yogurt. I did soy for awhile, but it contributed to certain medical issues, so I stick with eggs. I also make protein shakes every once in awhile, but more as a treat than a supplement.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options

Depends on who you ask. There are a lot of groups and religions that still don't consider fish to be real meat.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of beans, chickpeas, lentils, nuts, eggs and yoghurt. Specifically, I have overnight oats with yoghurt most mornings, sometimes with nuts in it. Then my most common meals for lunch and dinner are vegetarian chilli (made with kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans etc), chickpea curry, and different types of lentil soup - split pea, red lentil, daals...

Oats have a good amount of protein, so does quinoa, and whole wheat pasta and whole wheat bread.

When i live in a country that has it, I try to eat a good amount of tofu as well. Unfortunately I don't at the moment and so sub in the occasional serving of fish (and so am currently pescetarian...boo). I buy Granose veggie burger mix and make veggie burgers out of it - those have a bunch of protein.
  • lovescontrary
    lovescontrary Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 45 years. I never think about protein. It is really easy to get enough and most Americans eat way more than they need.
  • GingerBiscuit_19
    GingerBiscuit_19 Posts: 75 Member
    Options

Depends on who you ask. There are a lot of groups and religions that still don't consider fish to be real meat.

I meant in the sense that fish is something I could never give up, much like someone who eats meat could never give up bacon, so I consider vegetarianism hardcore, in an appreciative way. I stopped eating meat because I don't like meat. I also find it hard to comprehend how mammals can eat mammals. Meat is so tampered with these days, no one knows what they are eating anymore. At least with fish it's sustainable (at the moment), it's not as cruel, and there are legislations on preserving fish stock and protecting environments. My only bug bear with fishing is the irresponsible net dumping that harms marine mammals. I aporeciate that every country's regulations on fishing is different, but I'm proud to say that the UK's are among the most stringent and I feel satisfied that my eating of fish is responsible from sea to plate.
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    Beans, lentils, Quorn, eggs, dairy, textured soy protein (never used it myself, it looks like mince lol) , tempeh, tofu, protein bars/shakes, etc. :)

Edit: Yeah, greek yoghurt and cottage cheese too!
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options

I meant in the sense that fish is something I could never give up, much like someone who eats meat could never give up bacon, so I consider vegetarianism hardcore, in an appreciative way. I stopped eating meat because I don't like meat. I also find it hard to comprehend how mammals can eat mammals. Meat is so tampered with these days, no one knows what they are eating anymore. At least with fish it's sustainable (at the moment), it's not as cruel, and there are legislations on preserving fish stock and protecting environments. My only bug bear with fishing is the irresponsible net dumping that harms marine mammals. I aporeciate that every country's regulations on fishing is different, but I'm proud to say that the UK's are among the most stringent and I feel satisfied that my eating of fish is responsible from sea to plate.

I understand what the OP meant, before I became vegetarian I considered pescetarianism because a lot of people see fish as no more than insects and bugs, really, and I'd happily swat a fly. But I couldn't do it, "Fish are friends not food!" ;-)
  • babydiego87
    Options

Fish live and breathe - it's an animal i.e. meat.
  • kahawa57
    kahawa57 Posts: 2
    Options
    I look at what India Inadians eat. They have been vegetarian for 1000's of years. Also I go to web sites of vegan/vegetarianj athletes, iron mew/women etc. !
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Lean 15 protein powder
    Greek Yogurt
    Almond Milk
    Chickpeas, Lentils, Beans.
  • babydiego87
    Options
    If anyone is undecided or confused about vegetarianism and needs some guidance, feel free to add me. I have been a vegetarian for around 13 years and have a completely open diary.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    As for fish, "Meat" is muscle fiber or other body parts. Therfor eating fish muscle is eating meat of course.