Does working out affect your hunger?

SquidInTraining
SquidInTraining Posts: 196
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Does anyone else find they are hungrier on days without a workout, or is my body just weird? I struggle to eat all of my calories on the days I'm active because I don't feel hungry, but days that I don't workout I almost always get right up to the limit and have great difficulty not going over (I mean it, some days I got to bed early so I'm not tempted to scarf everything in sight). Anyone know if there's a physical reason behind this, or is it psychological? I'm fairly certain it's not rooted in boredom, because I will wait 20 minutes, drink 20 oz of water or so, and I'll still be ravenously hungry. I'm mostly just curious about what's going on in my body. Anyone have any insight?

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    I guess I am the opposite...working out makes me sooo hungry!!!!
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    I am usually starving the day after a heavy lifting workout.
  • usmcwifeb15
    usmcwifeb15 Posts: 470 Member
    It's actually the same for me. I worked out 6 days last week except for Sunday and I was fine everyday until Sunday came around. I felt like I was so hungry and it took everything I had not to eat whatever I wanted. Sunday was probably one of the worst days I've had in a while. I thought it was just me but maybe there is something there. I didn't workout that day but I sure wanted to eat. It was horrbile!!!!
  • mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    I'm the same, can easily eat less when I work out, which is ironic because we need more on days we work out.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659
    Supposedly a good workout can curb your hunger temporarily. This is why some people recommend doing a little light exercise before you sit down to eat - that way you're less likely to overeat. If I do a good hard workout, I don't want to eat immediately. But by the time I"ve finished cooking I'm ravenous! So it's more effective immediately following the activity.

At the same time, working out frequently has your muscles and metabolism worked up, even on days when you don't work out (especially the day immediately after a workout) and so you're much hungrier.

lol.

Weird, weird bodies. At least, mine is.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    I feel the same. At the very least, I feel like I make better choices on the days I work out. However, some research indicates that exercise affects our "hunger hormones" and can help control our appetite. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081211081446.htm
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    I feel the same. At the very least, I feel like I make better choices on the days I work out. However, some research indicates that exercise affects our "hunger hormones" and can help control our appetite. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/12/081211081446.htm

I saw this on Dr. Oz - he suggested working out to curb cravings! I know i personally never want to eat anything after a long run or cardio session, it's the only time i'm never hungry!
  • kimmrdodge
    kimmrdodge Posts: 190 Member
    I have not started a regular workout routine yet but am planning on it. I did come across something yesterday while reading that said you can actually curb your appetite by working out. I am hoping that is true because I was fearing wanting to eat everything in site when I started to work out.
  • I am STARVING on days I work out. And I never have any problem eating all of my calories! I usually go to bed hungry :sad:
  • princess_in_power
    princess_in_power Posts: 234 Member
    Yes to 2 prior posters w/hungry AFTER workout!

I'm definitely hungrier on the days I work out! (And I CAN eat right after working out, most times I NEED to)

Not that it isn't easy to snack the day after I workout, but I don't notice being hungrier (then normal)

Unfortunately when I get a craving, It does not help to do exercise/move as I just want to eat more!
  • So, I guess it works differently for different people -- I'd love to know why my body does the things it does, though.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    i think it has something to do with the way your body reacts to the change in hormones duirng physical activity. the natural high makes some people hungry while others feel their appetites disappear. it might be similar to the way people react to being anxious or nervous. some lose thier appetites in some situations while others feel the need to gorge themselves.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Does anyone else find they are hungrier on days without a workout, or is my body just weird? I struggle to eat all of my calories on the days I'm active because I don't feel hungry, but days that I don't workout I almost always get right up to the limit and have great difficulty not going over (I mean it, some days I got to bed early so I'm not tempted to scarf everything in sight). Anyone know if there's a physical reason behind this, or is it psychological? I'm fairly certain it's not rooted in boredom, because I will wait 20 minutes, drink 20 oz of water or so, and I'll still be ravenously hungry. I'm mostly just curious about what's going on in my body. Anyone have any insight?
    Yes!!! lol I am taking the day off since I feel yucky, and I am scarfing food down all day. When I work out and have 300 spare calories, I can barely manage to eat my daily level, let alone workout calories. Its sooo weird. lol
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    I think because I eat the calories I burn exercising plus my normal calories I have an easier time of it on the days I work out. Part of that is mental too..knowing I can eat a bit more during the day because I'm going to work out and will still be in range after dinner.

On the days I don't work out I have a super hard time staying within that calorie range because I'm not earning extra to eat. And when I know I can't eat more cals on these days its harder because I tend to think about it more.
  • osram34
    osram34 Posts: 54
    IM ALWAYS STARVING!!! lol
  • On days that I work out I usually don't eat all my allotted calories. On days that I don't workout I eat like a machine!! Go figure.
  • paulkj
    paulkj Posts: 163 Member
    I find that the days following strength training I am hungrier the following morning but it subsides throughout the day. Probably because I eat all of my allotted calories before noon:blushing: If it's just regular aerobic exercise. My appetite is pretty much the regular.
This discussion has been closed.