What caused you to become overweight (apart from eating)

Options
fun_b
fun_b Posts: 199 Member
I have been thinking about my weight issues most of the Weekend. I have been looking over old photos of me a baby and then young child. I was an average sized baby but started gaining weight when I was about 2/3 because my mother went back to work and the childminder used to feed me junk most of the day. My mum now tells me that they had no idea I was eating so much but suddenly I started to gain weight and I got into the habit of eating junk food all the time.

As I got into School, I was the biggest child there and other kids made fun of me. I remember at the time not being as physically active and feeling big. Most of the time my parents reassured me about my weight but I could sense they were concerned and went to the doctor. I once went into a hospital where they kept me and my mum for a few days while they taught me about eating healthy and exercise. Looking back, I know my family were trying to help me but all I kept thinking was 'I need to lose weight'.

Getting into high school, I became very obsessed with food and dieting/binging. I had been to visit a dietician who weighed me regularly and was encouraging me to lose weight. But when I look back at the photos I think by the time puberty hit, I actually wasn't too big. I would now love to be this size again but ofcourse I thought I looked disgusting thanks to my body image issues.

I wish I hadn't of listened to everyone and had just concentrated on being happy.

Replies

• Keysted
    Keysted Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Menopause & the medication I'm on for other health issues. I did't mind being 30lbs overweight until my Doctor told me I was pre-diabetic and on my way to becoming a type 2 diabetic. This woke me up and I have been diligent about watching my weight and exercising ever since.
  • nanainkent
    nanainkent Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Boredom, Lack of Exercise, Medications, co dependant living with unhealthy eater, Lack of energy due to Low vitamin Levels. Turning to baking for a hobby. I weighed maybe 5 lbs over weight in my teenage years, maybe 10 lobs in my 20's, underweight in my 30's, 10 lbs over in my 40's and then it all started to pack on in my 50's. But mentally I felt very very fat all of my life begining in grade school. I won't forget when a so called friend in 2nd grade called me fat. (I wasn't even close to it)
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Menopause and a change of habits. I was at a stage in my life where I thought I could afford to get lazy about cooking complete meals from scratch every day. There was too much exposure to supper-sized restaurant meals and too much meal-for-two-in-a-bag type processed food at home.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It basically started when I went though puberty...I was never into sports, so i just got caught up in a cycle of bad diet, and no exercise. I am now 30 and just learning to to live healthy...cant help but feel frustrated and mad sometimes that I wasted my youth feeling fat and lazy...arg!!
  • Imigen04
    Imigen04 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It started with having my children and then I lost my mother and little sister right before my21st birthday and lost myself. I feel/ felt like I have no family anymore but I am trying to overcome all my issues and show my children life is beautiful and meant to be lived to the fullest. And be a role model for my other lil sis who was her twin.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I got fat when I was in my teens, got married at 16, only last 5 years was fat and lost weight then
    When I met my current husband I was about 118, gained weight when I started eating regular meals
    I had starved myself so long to stay thin I was really messed up.
    I am so much happier being this size!
  • crystalmohr2
    Options
    I was called fat even when i was young by older kids even though i wasnt, I became over weight as i got older grade 7 & 8 and going into high school. Then i began losing weight in high school because i began walking every where and then i was average weight but i still thought i was fat i just needed to excercise more and get in better shape. I look back now and wish i was that weight again lol. I got heavier again in college just from working full time going to school full time and not eating right and i was partying all the time.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I broke my foot a few years ago and I got in the habit of sitting around.
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    First, being so naive because I thought I would never gained weight (I was skinny and played sports until I went to college) then what made me really blew up was emotional eating combined with boredom and stress (college).
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Definitely an unhealthy relationship with food... it was/is a crutch, anxiety-response, and "friend" that I turn(ed) to on a regular basis. No bueno.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Depression, Lack of confidence, lack of education about healthy eating, people around me who ate poorly , but riddiculed me for eating the same ( depression). I looked for comfort in food and while I was active, my over eating made sure thatI stayed over weight.
  • calisunrise
    calisunrise Posts: 307
    Options
    boredom and lack of physical activity
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Sitting at a desk and not exercising, along with eating way too much.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    first time around: being sedentary, i.e. quitting sport but not changing how I ate, and I wasn't all that slim when I used to play ice hockey because you can't out train a bad diet... so you can only imagine the result when I stopped playing ice hockey.... :huh:

2nd time around: pregnancy combined with rebound weight gain from weight watchers.

3rd time around: pregnancy, then PTSD (which was a combination of undereating and rebound overeating as I lost my appetite due to stress, then overeat, and of course the combination of the two means the overeating calories all get stored as fat.

My body fat percentage is healthy and my weight is now stable, and staying that way. I fully intend for there never to be a 4th time around of being over fat. (although it's my ultimate long term goal to be in the overweight category of BMI while having a body fat percentage of 20 or less...)
  • JubeJewels
    JubeJewels Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think because I was always on the bigger side (not obese or overweight, just a hefty farm girl) I felt I had to be what everyone called me - fat, chunky, flabby. Looking back on my photos, I was 168lbs & wasn't any of those things, but being in an environment where all the girls 'had' to be a certain way, & being made fun of, put an emotional toll on me.

Once I graduated high school & got into computers, my life was stationary & I was eating high calorie foods. When I found out I was pregnant with my first, I was 310lbs. My ex husband was (& still is) over 300lbs & maintaining that sedentary lifestyle.

I think that society pushes such a quick-pace/super mom lifestyle. As women (or parents), we are expected to work full time, have immaculate houses, raise the children, eat socially acceptable foods (ei fast foods) yet be a size 0. We need to be up to date on the latest TV shows & play the most popular games on our handhelds. Who has time to work out when so many other things are expected to be done? I'm not looking for an excuse, but that has been my experience since becoming a mom.

There are so many health benefits when you slow down, breathe, take the time to make healthy foods & work out with your children. Kids learn by example & I cringe to think the impression we leave on them. I am making that change now, to make healthier meals & snacks available & to encourage activity in our lives. Of course, it's always a work in progress.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough :(
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    childhood abuse, eating disorder, lack of trust for my spouse and anybody around me, with good reason for some.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    An abusive first husband and the subsequent divorce. Now a lazy second husband and struggling to find and keep the motivation! Boredom adds to it and so does S.A.D.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I'm an emotional eater, and losing my dad unexpectedly really threw me for a loop.

For me, part of getting healthy has been learning to channel my emotions away from eating for comfort. That's still a work in progress.
  • insilence88
    Options
    in 2004 i started playing world of warcraft way too much :P
    and when i graduated school in 2007 i didn't go out much so i spent my days playing world of warcraft and drinking lots of Coca Cola.