Squats

Options
It's a love/hate thing for me with squats. I know that doing barbell squats is the holy grail of strength training, and I do them with excellent form and progressive overload, but geez they really do suck. If the pay off wasn't so huge I know I'd be doing easier leg work.

Replies

• vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I adore squats! The endorphins that get released during squats and other lower body stretches... aaah yes. As soon as I get a yoga mat I'll be pulling that out every day just for the stretches.
  • borisda
    borisda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I hate squats as well . It puts to much strain on joints so instead I use the leg press . I can hammer my quads but nowhere near the discomfort .
  • MattDustin
    MattDustin Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree, squats are terrible! But you know what made them more bearable, I'm not even joking, is doing dumbbell step-ups. Do 3 sets of 8-10 dumbbell step ups, and then squats won't seem so bad.

I'm assuming you know exactly what those are but for any readers who might not know, you stand in front of a plyometrics platform, usually about 2 feet off the ground. Hold a dumbbell in each hand, then step onto the box, one leg at a time, for example, plant your right food then use your leg to lift your whole body onto the platform, keeping your leg in a straight line (don't lean or leg your knee move left of right). Do 8 on each leg, and suddenly squats feel like fun.
  • mhoss101
    mhoss101 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree, squats are terrible! But you know what made them more bearable, I'm not even joking, is doing dumbbell step-ups. Do 3 sets of 8-10 dumbbell step ups, and then squats won't seem so bad.

I'm assuming you know exactly what those are but for any readers who might not know, you stand in front of a plyometrics platform, usually about 2 feet off the ground. Hold a dumbbell in each hand, then step onto the box, one leg at a time, for example, plant your right food then use your leg to lift your whole body onto the platform, keeping your leg in a straight line (don't lean or leg your knee move left of right). Do 8 on each leg, and suddenly squats feel like fun.
  • mhoss101
    mhoss101 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I absolutely loathe squats. I would rather get a root canal then do leg squats.. Your suggestion sounds good so I am going to try it the next time i am at the gym.. I will let you know how it goes..
  • aareeyesee
    aareeyesee Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I only have a few words.....MOAR SQUATZ U PANSIES!!!!!!! lol I have a love/hate relationship as well. I love them on Thurs-Sun. Mon is squat day and then I hate squats monday afternoon thru the waddle stage lol. They really are the best move a person could possibly do other than deadlifts. Congrats to everyone with the %$^#& to squat.