How to become a personal trainer?

Options
I know I don't look good enough to be one right now, working on that, but I do want to become one. How do I go about doing this? I'm assuming I take some classes or something to that extent? I'm excited about doing that, because I enjoy learning all I can about fitness. And I do need to learn a LOT more & I want to learn. I'm currently enrolled in a university working on my Bachelor's degree. I would like to to do PT certification without interrupting in this. Sort of do it all at the same time, but hopefully I don't have to enroll in a school. Just like get certified through a program online?
Can someone help me & point me in the right direction?

Replies

• westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    You just have to pick an organization, get the study materials, then take the test. ACE is a good organization to start with (many trainers get several certs); it's sort of a basic cert but respected. A more advanced certification that I would recommend is NASM.
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can do the distance learning through ISSA, which is the oldest of the fitness certification organizations and is a very good one that I have. You can take the exam and quizzes all online and the book is very in-depth. I am currently taking the NASM cert, but honestly I feel like ISSA is the best initial one to go with but it is best to get certs from all over in the end. Plus they each have certain specializations that you can take afterwards, like I did with the strength and conditioning cert through ISSA and am doing with the PES and CES through NASM. Most gyms will accept either of these certs. Although private studios are where the real money is to be had.
  • joel3736
    Options
    Just be sure to get either the CFT/CPT before getting the specializations. So you can get hired right away if that is your goal.
  • jpfrimmer
    jpfrimmer Posts: 134
    Options
    I just finished my NASM certification. I did my research before deciding to go with NASM and found that it is accepted pretty much everywhere and is a very well respected program. This was my first certification and I didn't have any degrees related to the fitness, so it is doable even without any previous experience or certification. I did all of it on my own, didn't go to any workshops and still had no problem passing the test. NASM also has other certs you can get in addition to your CPT.

Good luck!
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much! See, I had no idea they had different organizations & some weren't accepted. I thought it was all the same. Glad I posted here!
  • joel3736
    Options
    Well ISSA, NASM, NSCA, ACSM, and ACE are pretty much accepted anywhere, with few exceptions.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    At our center we will only interview trainer candidates with a Bachelor's degree in a fitness or fitness-related major. They must also have a major certification, but we only accept ACE, NSCA, or ACSM.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    This is good information to have thank you ! I was thinking along the same lines but, doing it for myself not so much to teach others. I want to learn as much as i can .
  • wolfcounty
    Options
    thank you tons for posting this question! im currently on the same pursuit. ... and hopefully opening a studio at some point.... eventually lol