Anyone got ideas about eating on the road?

Options
I work out of town 3-4 days a week. Anyone have any ideas about eating on the road? I try and stop into grocery stores as much as I can, and buy fresh vegetables.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    make stuff at home you can take with you, salads for example (ones with lots of protein so it's filling). Do you have a cool box? You could use that like a fridge to keep stuff fresh. Are you working out of town on one big trip for 3-4 days, or is it 3-4 separate trips? Logistically, the answer would be very different for those situations. If you're traveling on separate trips, make stuff the night before, keep it in the fridge, store it in the cool box when you travel. If you're staying somewhere, what food storage, heating etc stuff do you have access to?
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Beef Jerky is a great snack. low in fat and very high in protein. Tuna, the kind in a bag. All you need is a plastic fork. Apples, bananas, grapefruit. Whole Wheat bread. Kashi cereal and greek yogurt is very yummy, get the plain kind though it has low sugar and no fat and very high protein. Hard boil several eggs ahead of time. That's about all I can think of. Have a great day.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Denny's and Wendy's both make ok salads. i tell them to not put salad dressing on it, and just give me some lemon slices to squirt on top. Dennys also has a low(er) cal selection like chicken sausage, egg beaters, etc.
  • HardRockCamaro
    Options
    Subway.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    As in literally, in a car, or just traveling away from home as in airplanes or trains? I suggest protein shakes and one of those shakes with a the funny metal ball in them. For whatever reason, I have noticed lean protein is the most difficult to eat enough of for me while on the road. If I am driving thru west texas, all the gas stations/convenience stores have beef jerky which is fine with bottled water. Generally they all have bananas or apples or both.

I avoid carbs like bread, pasta, potatoes and rice on the road as much possible.
  • benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    Beef jerky, water, deli turkey, fruit, oatmeal. I know they sell all those things in gas stations. Goodluck
  • MichaelBrewer2634
    MichaelBrewer2634 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Good ideas. I stay out 3-4 days at a time, and stay in hotels.
  • jessbbaker
    jessbbaker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Protein bars, hard boiled eggs, oranges and apples, nuts, instant oatmeal.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Subway is most transparent about its calories.
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I don't travel as much as you but when I do. I measure out 2 scoops of protein and put in snack bags. I pack my shaker cups and have my protein and grab fruit at the hotel. I typically eat/drink that while I am getting ready in the morning. I try to get something semi healthy for lunch/dinner. I am a huge fan of subway/panera but when I travel with coworkers, I tend to eat more.

I also carry protein bars in my laptop bag and grab extra fruit at the hotel for snacking.

Good Luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    On the days that you are staying at the hotels just stick to grilled meats without sauces and vegetables whether it is room service or you go to the Applebee's down the road or whatever. There is always something decent everywhere, you just have to think before ordering! Check the menus ahead of time if you can!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I agree with the posters who mention Subway. I'd also take a careful look at the nutritional information available online for the various fast food restaurants. If you are careful with which sandwiches you order, you can do pretty well. Yes, definitely pack vegetables and fruit, or stop by the grocery store and buy some when you can, but you also have to accept the limitations of being on the road. Just make sure you get a work out in and drink water to help with the sodium intake. If you sweat enough though the sodium isn't much of a problem.
  • The1iceQueen
    Options
    I'm listing some take-out things you can get, since a lot of times when your out and have to stay at a hotel, after working all day you don't feel like cooking much.

When I go out while away I try to go to a steakhouse and order a bunless burger with vegetables on the side, usually broccoli.

KFC Grilled Chicken-Drumstick 90 calories, Breast- 220 calories----Green Beans/Individual sized - 25 calories---Mashed Potatoes/Individual sized 120 Calories.

Wendy's Grilled Chicken Go Wrap-270 Calories--Full sized Spicy chicken ceasar salad

You can even go to the KFC/Wendy's site and build your own meal.

Ihop/Cracker Barrel Various breakfast items that are great protein/calories.

I'd bring some PB2, pecans/almonds/or whatever nuts you might like, boil some eggs before leaving and bring them in a ziplock bag to put in the fridge and also pick up protein bars if you like, in case you get snacky in the evenings with not much to do, you may.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Sandwiches: Skip the mayo, cheese

Sides: Avoid potatoes and rice - ask for side salad, fresh fruit or "double the veggies"

Sauce on the side, No dressing on salads

Ask what the vegetable of the day is - if it's Creamy Spinach, ask if they can give you steamed broccoli instead.

Grilled Chicken and Fish are usually safe bets

Seltzer Water instead of soda - ask if they have fresh mint

For dessert, see if anything on the menu is "topped with fresh berries" - if so, ask for just a bowl of fresh berries with nothing on them
  • IsleEsme
    IsleEsme Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I travel that way too-gone 3-4 days..hotel...most hotels have microwaves in room and if they don't you can ask the front desk to use the one in the kitchen. I've never been told no when I asked. I prepare almost all my food ahead of time (I will admit this is a total pain in rear but hey, I do what I have to) and eat in my room. This can include all meals. Breakfast is normally yogart/hard boilded eggs/fruit. Lunch & dinner can be veggies/lean meat sandwhiches/shakes/pasta. It's all easy food but nutritionally sound. Sometimes I go with lots of plain chicken breast and my own bottle of salad dressing. Every town has several grocery stores and most of them have salad bars. Add my own chicken...dinner is served. Easy. I carry string cheese, almonds, baked chips...for snacks. Good luck :)

And then there is always Panera-they list all the cals and the food is awesome. Subway too like someone else mentioned. The thing about those places though is the salt-it always kills my numbers for the day...
  • amyfliesalot
    amyfliesalot Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have to take enough food for three days to work, so I have a pretty big food bag. I use two of those headache-ice bags (from any CVS or RiteAid) to keep everything cold. They are easy to refill whenever I'm near ice. I grill pork tenderloins, and slice and portion them into baggies. They are GREAT cold, eaten right out of the baggie. You can cook several at a time, then freeze them for your next trip. I've recently started doing that to save grilling time when I work too many trips in a row, and just can't do it. Snacks are difficult for me. I have to eat fast, so I take hummus to snack on, with veggies to dip. I spend a LOT of time cleaning and cutting up red, yellow, and orange peppers, carrots, and celery for it- but it's worth it. Snow peas are also good to dip, and all of those are very low in calories. I found these EAS Carb Control High Protein (17g!) shakes at Sam's Club. They are good, only 110 calories, and travel well- great in a pinch. Fruit is always good, but I'm finding myself leaning toward salads and veggies because they're lower calorie, and I'm trying to lose a bunch of weight. I'll get back to you if I think of anything else for you. Good luck!