High Protein Diets and Hypercalciuria

Options
In today's world of eating your body weight in protein, I was always told to drink a gallon of water a day and take calcium supplements to make sure the protein is flushed through my system properly. I was told my bones would thank me later. I still follow this advice even though some feel it's not necessary (better to be safe than sorry I guess). Anyone else have thoughts on the subject?

Adding protein to your diet can help your body heal faster from illness or injury and can help you lose weight when combined with other healthy foods and a program of physical activity. Dietician Katherine Zeratsky of the Mayo Clinic cautions, however, that a high protein diet is not necessarily safe when followed for more than three or four months. In addition, consumption of excess amounts of protein for long periods may also affect levels of calcium in your body. Check with your doctor before adopting high-protein diet.

Research evidence is mixed, but it suggests that for some people consuming a high-protein diet can lead to the excretion of calcium in the urine. A 2003 study published in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition" explains that chronic consumption of large amounts of protein leads to a condition known as hypercalciuria. This condition is characterized by impaired absorption of calcium, which is then excreted. Left untreated, hypercalciuria can lead to thinning of the bones, increased risk of sudden bone fractures and osteoporosis. A 1981 study published in "Federation Proceedings" explains that this condition appears to occur when protein consumption is approximately three times the recommended amount.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/545106-can-too-much-protein-deplete-calcium/#ixzz2MUFN6XT9

Replies