New to this...

Options
Hello all.

I just signed up recently, and I am liking it already. My motivation to do this is #1, I am getting married in December, and also my office is doing a 'Biggest Loser' competition. I am pretty sure that I am going to win, but first I need to make sure to get into my routine.

I used to be skinny as a rail in High School (10 years ago), 6'4", 175-180 lbs., but since starting my desk job I have gained about 100 pounds, and have become addicted to fast food. Starting yesterday, I have struck down fast food, and will only visit that option as a last resort, and will try something healthier than a burger or beef sandwich or cheese fries (as goooood as they might be.)

So far, I have been walking from work to the local Meijer (grocery store) and back on my lunch break which is about 25 minutes of walking at a good pace. Many years ago, I ran cross country and track, so I know how far to push myself so as to not injure myself. I have also gone from virtually no fruits & veggies to eating an apple, orange, and 2 full stalks of celery with my Healthy Choice lunch.

My biggest downfall aside from the fast food is the salty snacks. I emptied out my snack & lunch drawer at work, and filled it with 40 single serving bags of baked lays products, and Sun Chips. So far, so good. Normally, I could sit and eat a whole bag of chips, or Cheeze-its like it was nothing, but so far today, after 8 hours of being at work, I have only had 2 bags.

I was also drinking soda like a mad-man. From there I was able to slowly get myself onto Crystal light, which is MUUUCH better than the soda, but it's pretty expensive. So now I am strictly on a 1/2 gallon of water (at least) during work, and then water with dinner at home. I SURE do miss the sweet caffinated goodness that is Coke & Pepsi, but I have to start doing better.

I am pretty excited today, as this will be my first GOOD day. Yesterday we had our weigh-in, and in my infinate brillaince, I went to McDonalds and got a Sausage Egg McMuffin, Sausage biscuit, large coke & hashbrown. My breakfast was nearly 1400/1860 calorie a day plan, but I didn't think about it, because I thought it was before the weigh-in, so it would be ok. I should have just chugged a gallon of water, THEN weighed in. Today's breakfast was 1000 calories less than yesterdays, and just as filling. Low-sodium bacon (4 strips cut in half, so I treated myself to 8, lol), glass of fat free milk, and 2 large eggs scrambled. With that breakfast, the fruit-filled lunch I described above, and a dinner of 2 Johnshonville Better with Cheddar brats in light buns, and 2 bags of chips, I am still 250+ calories UNDER what my plan calls for, and I haven't really been hungry at any point. When I get hungry, I open a snack, and that hits the spot, carries me over till the next meal.

I hope that I continue using this site past the competition at work, so that I can keep setting and meeting new goals for myself. Once I get on-track with something, I am pretty much LOCKED in. For example, I have journal books at work that I use to document calls made and received (as I work in a call-center, many calls a day), and I am on my 11th book right now. They date back to Oct. '04. I have also been tracking all of my gas reciepts since June '06, and have only lost 2 to date, once when I was sick and someone else filled my car, and once when I forgot to take the reciept outta the pump when I was tired.... random tangent. Sorry, just getting this out so that I can show myself I can DO IT.

Thanks!

-Zach

Replies

• littlecompton
    Options
    Good luck to you Zach!
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You can add me as ur friend if you like! Dudes must unite!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    welcome and congrats on your wedding! i also pretty much cut soda, and now i drink cabonated mineral water. i do get jealous of my hubs dr pepper, but he plays 3 hours of basketball a day!
  • durbanski
    durbanski Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good Luck!
  • ZGodzicki
    Options
    Thank you for all of the support on this.

I am proud to say that yesterday marked 1 week with my new diet and excersize plan, and so far, I am down just under 8 pounds. Friends and family were the first to notice after only a few days, and said that I was starting to look much more trim. Can't wait until I make my goal of 25 pounds so that I can work towards the next goal. :-)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Welcome, I think the food journal will be your best tool and remember to look at your reports at 1 week and 1 month etc... to track your trends. I also think little notes on the bottom of your food journal in the space provided help with looking back and seeing what you were trying that week, ie, limit carbs or cut down on sugar. Its a great tool. This is a great site.