lifting and cardio vascular

Options
Hi All,

I just want to get some facts regarding the title. At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest is lifting and doing no CV healthy? I'm don't know so that's why I'm asking I'm not trying to be cute lol. My hubbie has started a training regime with little CV work but lots of heavy lifting and eating....... PROTEIN, PROTEIN and more PROTEIN lol and while I'm sure I would fancy him even more with a six pack I'm just concerned as he has always been quite active.

Replies

• kateguy1981
    kateguy1981 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Lifting has specific benefits. Cardio has specific benefits.
    If he is lifting intensely with short rests, doing circuits, doing supersets, etc. then strictly cardio exercise isn't as necessary.
    Alternatively if he lifts with less intensity and longer rest periods, cardio would be needed to keep his fitness well rounded.

From what I can tell, even those that "lift heavy" do a couple 10-20 minute cardio sessions a week. This is usually under HIIT type training, with hill sprints, prowler work, etc.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I do all lifting and no cardio, although after doing heavy compound lifts to failure, my heart rate is very elevated, so my heart and lungs actually get a good workout from the heavy lifting. Anything that builds up a significant oxygen debt will do this, so anaerobic exercise actually works your aerobic system too. Probably not as much as high intensity cardio would though.
  • kateguy1981
    Options
    Yeah I lift as heavy as I can at the gym although I have to say I love my CV stuff but I can feel my heart rate elevate when lifting
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Most if what I've read says to lift heavy to raise HR, and the do 10-20 mins HIIT for specific CV benefits. I know a lot of folks who follow this to pretty awesome results.
  • kateguy1981
    Options
    That's interesting ta makes sense might try that myself lol x
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am just lifting heavy with some cardio work if I'm feeling in the mood for it - like a short high intensity run 1-2x weekly. It's working out well for me!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    I sweat more lifting than I do doing cardio. Plus cardio is just boring to me. Love lifting heavy.