Food my mom buys :/

Options
2»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i think it's going to boil down to you having the self control to not eat the food you shouldnt be eating.

also there's usually no need for to snack at all if you are eating balanced meals with proteins fats and carbs. a morning meal of 3 eggs with veggies and avocado and homemade oatmeal with fruit is filling for hours. lunch of grilled or baked chicken, salmon or tilapia and a large salad is also filling for hours.

usually the need to snack comes from eating too much stuff labelled low fat, low calorie which is also usually low protein.
  • 1GeorgiaPeach
    Options
    Thanks for all of you're suggestions and good wishes means a lot I will see which one works the best! Thanks :)
  • 1fitwong
    1fitwong Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Start small...ask for a couple basic things like apple and oatmeal. Make sure you eat them each week and ask for the same items until you don't have to remind her anymore. Then add a new one. She's shopping for one household not two separate ones, so it might be helpful to start with easy and inexpensive things that everyone can enjoy like bananas. :)
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm also a pretty strong believer that you can eat healthy for cheap when strategic. Try to not buy for convenience. Buy a bunch of celery, not the individual sticks. Whole carrots, not baby. Complete broccoli, not just the tops. Prepped properly you get snack food that is healthy, low in cals, and cheaper than chips! True, on a calorie for calorie comparison processed food is cheaper, but most of us are starving for nutrition, not calories.
  • julialou1979
    julialou1979 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Here's a link that talks about what to prioritise for organics, and what to not.http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/Save-on-Sustainable-Gallery-44032808#slide-1

Also, frozen veggies can be super healthy while also cheaper and more convenient. The tend to be healthier than veggies shipped in 'fresh' from far away because they freeze them immediately after harvest. Also, if you google 'frugal' and 'healthy' you should find tonnes of easy recipes to help plan meals for everyone. Good luck!