Eating at social events

Okay, I know this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I want to know what y'all are doing at present:

How do you eat on track at social events?

I'm going to a party tonight (the theme is port and pie) and don't want to go over calories. I'm typically very successful at maintaining my caloric intake at a certain level EXCEPT in social situations. . In the case of tonight, I don't really want to abstain completely because that seems unsociable and the products being served are 'special'- I just want to have 'a little bit'.

So question is, how do I have 'a little bit' w/ out triggering myself?

Also, do you people try to cut back on calories earlier in the day if you know that you might overindulge later at a party, etc.?

Replies

• MaryPoppinsIAint
    MaryPoppinsIAint Posts: 157 Member
    Honestly I might pay a little more attention early in the day and make some effort to trim back extras, but thus far If I know I'm going to an event, I just figure that as my "hell with it" day for this group of 10 and make up my mind to enjoy the event. I don't go super crazy pigout or anything, but I enjoy the food without stressing over it, plug in a guestimated calorie value when I get home, and start over fresh the next day.
  • I've done anything from keeping meals lighter in the day and eating what I did know I could track to just eating before I've gone to parties...

the bottom line is, how important is what you want to you...what will take priority...you can eat a lot of good food for very little calories.....or eat a bite of something high calorie that will last for 2 minutes..I'm not saying to totally abstain and see things as being restricted all the time...you should begin seeing things as your decision though for you to progress!

All the best!
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    You can always take a 'cheat' day, and get gack at it tomorrow. If I know I am going to be in a place where I will want to eat a lot, I will run that morning to off-set the extra calories.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    You can usually find something close that'll do for tracking purposes, and by all means - do NOT go to the event hungry. You can hold back on calories during the day to a reasonable degree, but eat something before you go so as to try not to be famished when you get there and eat the place down. Just try to move on - take a few nibbles here and there, and keep a glass of water in your hand to give your hands something to do - or exercise your elbow.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If I know what's going to be served, I will try my best to eyeball serving sizes (deck of cards for meat, pair of dice for cheese, etc), and if it is some kind of buffet, half of the plate is a veggie. After 3 months of logging, I can almost do as good as my food scale for portion sizing, and it helps me not look/feel like a weirdo in public :)