calorie label differences

Options
yanniejannie
yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
I've been reading labels and noticed something today while looking for jalapeno stuffed green olives. Two brand choices: one says 10 cals per serving--1 olive, the other 20 cals per serving--1 olive. The olives were about the same size; actually the 10 cal. ones looked a little larger (and were more expensive--approx. twice as much). Although it's only 10 cals per olive this could really add up, especially if such practices carry over into other products. Is anyone else seeing such extreme cal differences between identical products?

I do remember reading somewhere (this was weeks ago, don't ask me to cite a source) that food labeling is allowed ( I think) a 20% "cushion" either way on their calorie counts but this would be way above that.

TIA for any thoughts on this.

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sorry, did I post this in the wrong section?.........or maybe it's been talked to death already..............I just thought that what amounts to a 100% reported increase or decrease in advertised calories was notable..............
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I check online if I am in doubt.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    different brands, they probablly have different ways of preparing them
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how they make them and what they put in them. Pay attention to the grams/ml listed as the serving sizes instead of the other measurements.

I have two salad dressings for example. Both the same flavour however the ml listing is different for both. I also have two jars of olives which both list 2 tbsp as the serving size... but one has more grams listed.

Different countries can have different nutrition facts for the same product as well.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    What were the other ingredients? Was one packaged inside high fructose corn syrup? That generally accounts for the extra calories.

To confirm what were the differences in the Fat/Carb/Protein breakdown? Theres about 1 fat gram or 2 carb/protein grams missing.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    one packed in oil, the other vinegar or water
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    One could have added sugar of the packed in oil versus packed in water.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    one packed in oil, the other vinegar or water
    One could have added sugar of the packed in oil versus packed in water.

Exactly. Check Tuna fish. They do the same thing. One is packed in oil, the other in water. Read the labels.