Being "petite"

Replies

• randimarie1125
    randimarie1125 Posts: 147 Member
    its definitely easier to understand when your a short person! I agree that maybe its the weight number people are hearing, and not the height!! That would make sense!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Unless you're made of muscle, 140 is quite a bit on a 5'2'' frame. Set a reasonable goal for yourself and see how you feel when you get there.

Yep. My goal is 140 but I'm 5' 7". And I might go lower than that; we'll see how I look. I haven't weighed 140 in 15 years so my fat might be distributed differently now.

Maybe you should stop discussing specific numbers with people and just tell them you're trying to lose the baby weight and get back to where you were before. It's hard to argue with that. And if you want to go even lower, do it but don't talk about it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    I imagine they're just trying to be nice and encourage you to be comfortable with your body.

Just do your own thing and don't worry about other people. I don't even share my goals about my body with other people, other than my husband, because I don't want input.
  • randimarie1125
    no, not at all, after having my 3 kids I am now at 173 after losing about 9 pounds so far and the most I want to weigh is 120 my perfect goal is going to be 115 that's what I should weigh for my height too so I'm right there with you everyone tells me I shouldn't get that small but by my age and height that's what I'm supposed to weigh not what they've seen me weigh the past few years.

Yea i think people, just dont understand, that even if a person doesnt look "big" you can still fall in the overweight category for your height and bone structure!
  • randimarie1125
    Unless you're made of muscle, 140 is quite a bit on a 5'2'' frame. Set a reasonable goal for yourself and see how you feel when you get there.

Yep. My goal is 140 but I'm 5' 7". And I might go lower than that; we'll see how I look. I haven't weighed 140 in 15 years so my fat might be distributed differently now.

Maybe you should stop discussing specific numbers with people and just tell them you're trying to lose the baby weight and get back to where you were before. It's hard to argue with that. And if you want to go even lower, do it but don't talk about it.

Yes, i think telling people my ideal weight, is probably the problem, because all they hear is the #, and fail to realize, that thats how much i weighed pre baby!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I am 5'2" and 132 pounds now. I feel like I look pretty good, I am in a size of clothing that I am happy with, but it still isn't exactly the body I want. My goal weight was 130. I have a fair amount of muscle and because of that people always guess me to actually be a lot lighter than I really am (even though I don't see why right now because I still feel squishier). That said, my focus at this point is body recomposition through weightlifting rather than trying to lose more weight. I ended up getting sick the middle of last year and had to stop exercising for a while, but I had surgery and should be cleared to start up again in about 2 weeks. Anyhow, between January and June of last year I only lost 2 pounds but I went down from a size 10 jeans to a size 6 just from weightlifting. If you aren't already doing it, you should consider it! Measurements and the fit of clothing are far more important than a number on the scale anyway!

Edited to add: Don't listen to the other people, haha, your goal weight is totally reasonable! I had people call me skinny when I was 20 pounds heavier than now because I had already lost 30 pounds, but skinny is definitely not the word for what I was then :)
  • randimarie1125
    thanks everyone for your input!! Much appreciated, dont feel so crazy now : )
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I think that's a perfectly acceptable goal weight for your height. (I'm 5'2", so I know what it's like to carry extra weight on a short body). As long as you are doing the weight loss in a healthy way, don't worry about what anyone else says.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    There would be people around who would tell you you're thin enough and don't need to lose weight even if you were 30 pounds heavier, if that's the way they're used to seeing you. Don't worry about it. I think people are instinctively a little bit alarmed when people they care about start shrinking because for most of human history that hasn't been a positive sign.
  • ambootcamp
    ambootcamp Posts: 27 Member
    I am your exact height and weigh 138 - and my goal is to lose 10 lbs. I am also way older than you - 50's :) I too carry the weight in my hips and thighs. People have actually told me my face looks too gaunt and that I shouldn't lose the weight - lol. Well, I have started a great exercise program and I LOVE it and I feel healthier and fitter than I have for a long time. Do what makes you happiest and makes you feel good about yourself.
    I did not have the time to exercise like I am now when my kids were young - but we were always an active family - so, keep up the good work and try and fit fun activities into family life. Don't worry what others say - you know your body :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member

I guess I am made of muscle, because at 140 and 5'2" I was able to fit comfortably into a size 6!

Edit: Current profile pic was taken at about 138-140, does that look like "quite a bit for my frame?" Just curious!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I'm petite and I got back to my pre-baby body by 7 months postpartum just from eating healthy foods, exercising and being active (I was not counting calories, but I think I was eating at least 2500 calories a day). 120 (your pre-baby fitness weight) is a fine goal to work towards. We all are different in terms of what is the healthy weight for our particular body type. I have noticed that sometimes when people get overweight, their idea of what a healthy weight looks like changes (perhaps that is what is happening with the people saying that to you).
  • carolstartingover
    carolstartingover Posts: 83 Member
    I am 5 ft. 8 and medium ot large build. My goal is 145 and I look normal, not thin at that weight. People always have something to say. The weight you suggested is norma and ignore the naysayers.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    As long as you are within a healthy range for your frame and height and all that- phoeey on what others say - I am 5'8" and all the charts show a healthy weight ranges of 125ish to 165ish - I can assure you I was miserable over 149, and now at 132 am going to keep my weight range between 128 and 133....I feel better and have more energy.

I don't think the charts are wrong, they are just a "guided suggestion" for weight ranges.

Also, have your "ideal" weight range validated by a sports doctor or performing arts doctor. I did, and will continue to check in as long as I can afford it.
  • randimarie1125
    I am 5'2" and 132 pounds now. I feel like I look pretty good, I am in a size of clothing that I am happy with, but it still isn't exactly the body I want. My goal weight was 130. I have a fair amount of muscle and because of that people always guess me to actually be a lot lighter than I really am (even though I don't see why right now because I still feel squishier). That said, my focus at this point is body recomposition through weightlifting rather than trying to lose more weight. I ended up getting sick the middle of last year and had to stop exercising for a while, but I had surgery and should be cleared to start up again in about 2 weeks. Anyhow, between January and June of last year I only lost 2 pounds but I went down from a size 10 jeans to a size 6 just from weightlifting. If you aren't already doing it, you should consider it! Measurements and the fit of clothing are far more important than a number on the scale anyway!

Edited to add: Don't listen to the other people, haha, your goal weight is totally reasonable! I had people call me skinny when I was 20 pounds heavier than now because I had already lost 30 pounds, but skinny is definitely not the word for what I was then :)

I'm doing cardio 5x a week and weight circuit training 2x a week! And its working wonders! In 2 months, ive lost 12 lbs, and over 11 inches total!! my goal is to be 120, with nice tone and definition by June. Seeing as i only have 7lbs to go, then my main focus will be toning, and tightening!
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    You are aiming for the height and weight that is healthy for you. So, unless your doctor is telling you otherwise, just don't pay attention to what people are saying. They maybe well meaning or they may have ulterior motives. Either way, they don't live in your body, you do and you know what weight you feel healthiest at. :0
  • randimarie1125
    i wsh i was all muscle! i have quite a bit, but its mainly in my thighs, where as so id most of my "extra" lol I was a size 9, but my 5's are slowly starting to fit again!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    I'm 5 ft 3. My old weight, before kids was around 140 and I thought I looked fine. However, after having kids, 140 just wasn't me anymore. I'm now around 122lbs (haven't weighed for a while) and I'm aiming lower because of how much fat I still have on my body. Just go until you feel comfortable. =)
  • birdforbeans
    birdforbeans Posts: 4 Member
    I also find that if you tell people you just want to feel strong, again, it helps. That is what motivates me. I want to feel like I can run longer, lift more, and breathe more freely. It gives me a better attitude at work, and helps me to feel like I worry less about my appearance and more about what being more fit enables me to do.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 751 Member
    I am 5'3'' and started on MFP a year ago because I felt awful, physically & mentally. I wore a size 10 pushing 12. The weight I recall feeling my very best at was 119 but that was about 17-18 years ago. At 46 I'm no longer a spring chicken & my weightloss has been slow but that is fine asni never intended to ''diet'' but to be healthier. My original goal weight was 120lbs. Still aiming for that and this morning I hit 125 so getting closer.

That said people will ask me why I'm trying to lose weight, tell me I'm going to disappear....... I'm back down to a size 4/6 depending. That is where I feel good. If I don't lose any more weight I am ok with that. If I lose another 5 I will re-evaluate. I don't want to be skinny. I want to be healthy. I have lots of toning to do. Working on strength training now & running. I have found I love running.

I would say strength train for good muscle tone / definition & healthy eating & see where your body feels best.

I also agree that 5lbs on someone who is 5'3'' is much more noticable than on someone 5'7''.