Should i reduce my calories or give it a bit longer?

Hi, I am a 5'2 female. 39 years old 66KG. I exercise 6am monday to Friday for roughly an hour. I mix it up with cardio and strength classes. I work a desk job 5 days a week 9am - 5pm. Then extras i do at home once finished work. I calculated that i am moderately active. I have set my TDEE - 20% and it is @1600.
I have had it set at this for all of February and on week days have not eaten back any exercise calories as they are included in this number but i have not lost weight this month.
Should i reduce my calories or give it a bit longer? Any advice would be great appreciated :)

Replies

• Your body defends fat mass aggressively and exterts control by compenstory meaures. The caloric hypothesis is an error in cognition. It does not at all address the behavior of fat cells or their regulation.

. You will not find any useful information here. Look into Dr. Jeffrey Friedman for your information.
  • kirstimscott
    kirstimscott Posts: 4 Member
    I think you might want to change from "moderately active" to sedentary. I think it refers to what you do for work for 8 hours a day, which is probably sedentary. That will probably lower your calories. And, great job on all the exercise!
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    I would give it a bit longer. I started with calculations similar to yours, my deficit is a bit larger because I have more to lose. It took 7 weeks for the weight to start moving down. I just feel better eating at this amount, so it's worth the wait for me. Best wishes to you!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Since I had my daughter a few years ago, I find that I lose my weight in chunks -- like nothing for 4-6 weeks and then BAM down 2-4 pounds in a week. I would probably give it another month doing what you are doing and then if nothing happens after 2 months change from moderate to light activity and see where that leaves you.

Are you by chance measuring yourself? I also often find that I will lose inches before the scale moves.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    I am not an expert but I had the same issue last month and I think you have to change something. You may have to reduce your carb intake or increase the intensity of your workouts. But I don't think reducing your calories is a good idea, your workouts may suffer because you will have less energy. Also changing your workout may help like going from running on the treadmill to using the stair master will work different muscles and you may lose some weight before those muscles wake up and adapt. This is what has worked for me, I hope it helps.
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    I am 5'2" also. And although I dont work a job, I sit mostly all day.
    My exercise is a 30minute walk and 30 day shred every day, and all that plus the gym every other day -- so i guess im moderate as well?

I was eating around 1,600 calories too - but i got stuck, so i upped to around 1,680 - 1,800 depending on the exercise day. I try to net my BMR now.

Give it a few weeks and see if it helps, if not, reassess.
    Try not to go below your bmr though.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    edited because I am an occasional idiot.
  • MissBernie73
    MissBernie73 Posts: 115 Member
    Thanks for the advice everyone :flowerforyou:
  • karenhray7
    I think you might want to change from "moderately active" to sedentary. I think it refers to what you do for work for 8 hours a day, which is probably sedentary. That will probably lower your calories. And, great job on all the exercise!

Miss Bernie is definitely moderately active. If she cut out all her morning exercise, then she'd be considered sedentary.

Harris Benedict Formula
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
  • MissBernie73
    My BMR is 1396 x 1.55 = 2163
    This seems very high do i minus 20%? = 1731
    still seems very high.
  • karenhray7
    It does sound really high, but you have to consider that your body needs fuel to function efficiently. The important part is how you use those calories, right? I looked at your food diary and my best advice is this:

30g of protein at breakfast, 90g protein daily
    no more than 75 net carbohydrates daily, and no more than 25 at any given meal
    less than 5 net carbs for breakfast
    and drink enough water that you pee clear!
    (net carbs=total carbs-fiber)

Keeping the net carbs under control will keep your blood sugar steady without your pancreas producing any excess insulin.
    With your goal weight of 55kg, your body needs between 65g and 128g of protein daily to maintain muscle. Considering how active you are, I would definitely stick to at least 90g. And don't be afraid of fat. Avoid "low fat" or "non-fat" anything. Seriously. The fat is generally replaced with some sort of sugar product.
  • MissBernie73
    My coffee is at 7.30 when i get home from gym and then a snack around 10-10.30. I have tried to have breakfast just hard trying to fit it in.
  • karenhray7
    Tell me about it! Breakfast is my make-or-break for losing though. I usually end up microwaving dinner leftovers for breakfast. But only the protein. I'm all fat and protein in the mornings and I don't crave sugar, in any form, all day. I love those days.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    on week days have not eaten back any exercise calories as they are included in this number

Surprised no one pointed this out. So you're only eating 1600 five days a week, but are eating more on weekends? That's probably what's causing the slowdown. But I also don't think you should adjust. Give it another couple weeks and see what happens. Like others have pointed out, weight gets lost in chunks. If you need to do anything maybe try to limit the "extra" calories day to just one day a week not two. That'll keep your average down.
  • michellel313
    michellel313 Posts: 19 Member
    I wasn't losing any weight for weeks but then I upped my calories a bit, I lost 2 lbs that week! I know everyone is different, but I would give it a shot. I looked into it before I did it and it seems like it does work for a lot of people.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member

No, keep it at moderate... That pretty much means you workout 3-5 times a week... But the scale sucks, you have to start measuring! You have probably lost inches while the scale is staying the same.. Also, lift HEAVY!! Get a program like "The new rules of lifting for women" or stronglifts 5x5.

You should look up the group on here called "eat more 2 weigh less" You might even need to be eating MORE calories than that! I ate at 1,600 and was sure to add my exersize calories in... Now i eat 1,900 everyday. So yeaaahhhh.
  • taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    My coffee is at 7.30 when i get home from gym and then a snack around 10-10.30. I have tried to have breakfast just hard trying to fit it in.

You dont NEED to eat breakfast... Its not going to make or break your weight loss! I used to eat breakfast allllll the time. I was obsessed with making sure i ate right when i woke up, because i didnt want to screw up my metabolism or something.. Now i do intermittent fasting with a (mostly) Paleo diet and i have lost a lot in such a sort time...

I just recommend getting enough protein! Eat about as many grams as you weigh. And for carbs, try to only get them from veggies, and then eat fat!! It helps a lot with hunger.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    I'm not an expert, and I'll probably catch Hell for this, but I think you should eat at but not over your TDEE for a few days and then drop back to 1600 calories and the a few hundred lower, then back to 1600 and back up toward TDEE etc. with every day a different calorie amount, keep your body guessing. I was stuck for weeks not losing anything, when I went up in calories then back down I lost weight. I hope you find your answer.
  • michellel313
    michellel313 Posts: 19 Member

Yeah I thought thats what that meant as well...??
  • MissBernie73
    Lots of great advice. I think i will stick to 1600 cals as this is a good balance for me. I will just have to hope something changes if not then at least i can tell my body is changing from the exercise. I would just like to lose those last 8 kgs :)
    I have taken measurements, not a lot has changed recently. Most of my weight was lost before christmas, i exercise a lot more now than i was when i lost the weight. Maybe this has something to do with it.
    I dont meet my carbs, fat or protein on a regular basis. I need to fix this.
    When i say i eat back my exercise calories on the weekends this is only if i think i need it, its not that often.
    Thanks again for everyones help :)