lifting, eating 1500 cals can i look "toned" ?

Options
2»

Replies

• Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Definitely not "easily" busting out 15lb curls, " grunting" them out more like it - 8 of them are rough. 12 and my neck is really tightening up beyond my liking, but *%¡< it I'm tired of being flabby
    So I will hang another 4 wks, I'm doing a workout from oxygen magazine, every other day for the lifting, it's pretty thorough, is that a good idea? I know to switch it up later but for now keep after the same workout ?
  • miame22
    miame22 Posts: 16
    Options
    If you are aiming for Gwenth Paltrow arms keep with the "Barbie" weights (long ballet arms is what come to mind). I am with you, looking for the toned and softer look, not the rock hard ripped look. I use the Barbie weights with The Method (Pilates, Ballet, Yoga, Tai Chi mix) 2 x a week and kick boxing (bag, gloves not Tae Bo) 2 x a week. make sure you are breaking a sweat with your work outs, if not you may want to kick it up a notch.
    My question though is what is your protein in take? I personally didn't lose any fat or gain any muscle until I started aiming for 80 to 120 grams of protein in a 1200 to 1500 calorie intake day (not net, total). I also cut out 90% of processed food, sugar & white flour. The food part is what made a difference for me. Weight isn't 'melting off', I have to fight for every ounce off and every scrap of muscle but with 2 herniated disks, a mostly dead thyroid and an auto immune disease, it's the best I can do.
    Keep it up! make sure you are breaking a sweat with your work outs, if not you may want to kick it up a notch.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    If you are aiming for Gwenth Paltrow arms keep with the "Barbie" weights (long ballet arms is what come to mind). I am with you, looking for the toned and softer look, not the rock hard ripped look. I use the Barbie weights with The Method (Pilates, Ballet, Yoga, Tai Chi mix) 2 x a week and kick boxing (bag, gloves not Tae Bo) 2 x a week. make sure you are breaking a sweat with your work outs, if not you may want to kick it up a notch.
    My question though is what is your protein in take? I personally didn't lose any fat or gain any muscle until I started aiming for 80 to 120 grams of protein in a 1200 to 1500 calorie intake day (not net, total). I also cut out 90% of processed food, sugar & white flour. The food part is what made a difference for me. Weight isn't 'melting off', I have to fight for every ounce off and every scrap of muscle but with 2 herniated disks, a mostly dead thyroid and an auto immune disease, it's the best I can do.
    Keep it up! make sure you are breaking a sweat with your work outs, if not you may want to kick it up a notch.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    I'm good on protein, 100+ and my weights started at 2.5 & 5lbs after my accident, so I feel I'm lifting decent weight, actually I would never share with my doctors, they prob think it's a bit much as I am still treating, so 1500 calls on cardio only days, 1700 on lifting/ cardio days then ? Reluctant bc my bodybugg often gave 2700-2800 as my TDEE. So, wondering if I should take cals up a bit or is that just asking for it ???
  • miame22
    miame22 Posts: 16
    Options
    When I did body bugg after I had my son (my hubby did it too) we only lost if we had 1000 to 1500 cal deceits each day to what Body Bugg said we burned. Sounds like healthy progression to me. I needed a month before my body agreed to let anything go. Give it more time.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm good on protein, 100+ and my weights started at 2.5 & 5lbs after my accident, so I feel I'm lifting decent weight, actually I would never share with my doctors, they prob think it's a bit much as I am still treating, so 1500 calls on cardio only days, 1700 on lifting/ cardio days then ? Reluctant bc my bodybugg often gave 2700-2800 as my TDEE. So, wondering if I should take cals up a bit or is that just asking for it ???

I know that everyone is in a hurry to lose weight, but why are you pressing your luck lifting more than your dr okayed? It doesn't make sense to hurt yourself so you can't do ANY strenuous activity. This is a fitness site, not a medical site, so it makes sense that people here would applaud your pushing yourself, but lifting heavy weights may not be for everyone. Please be careful. Your body is the only one you have.
  • RobynC79
    RobynC79 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Good work so far. I am going to disagree with several things in various posts up above:

1. The irrational hatred of 'toning' - it's a word, like being 'ripped'. It's figurative, as taken literally it has no meaning applicable to muscles. We all know what posters mean when they invoke the term, for heaven's sake. No need to attack them for not following the dogma of MFP.

2. "Can't build muscle on a deficit". This is usually invoked when people are eating relatively few calories (although this poster may well be eating at maintenance/surplus, I don't know), but it assumes that ingested energy is all the body has available. Except that this lady states she has 30 pounds to lose, which if we adhere to the accepted '3500 kcal/lb' doctrine, gives her an energetic surplus of around 100,000 calories. Now, there is a limit to how many can expended from fat per unit of time, but in general, 'caloric deficit' is not the state of her body. To the OP - I am saying that to be mean, far from it, so please don't think I am. I'm just a little tired of this advice given out without any critical thought. For people at optimal weight it may well be true, but I think you can build a small amount of muscle and lose fat simultaneously. Most of your visible results will still come from fat loss, however.

3. I think the various comments subtly denigrating the weight she currently lifting are a little unfair. Assuming she is starting from scratch, doing curls with 15lbs in each hand and using 25lb for other lifts is not trivial. If she is working out from home and is not practiced, progressing with correct form is far more important than hiking her weights too rapidly, particularly if she has a pre-existing injury! I think she's doing great for being new to lifting.

4. 'Protein intake' For someone who is currently overweight and presumably eats an acceptable western diet, lack of protein is not an issue. High-protein is of use when bodyfat is low already, perhaps, but not really otherwise. She would be fine eating whatever protein levels she likes - nearly all western diets comprise a large excess of protein compared to what is necessary.

To the original poster - it sounds like you are doing quite well so far, and your approach seems to be reasonable and likely to be successful, to me. Take your time and you will get your results, I am sure. There are many 'commandments' stated on the forums, some of which are not necessarily true, some are not even slightly true, some apply to subset of people, and some are worth attending to. Figure out what's right for you and leave the rest.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't hate the word "toned". Describe your goals however you want and good luck in the process!

i agree. Let's be supportive here.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go against the grain here and say that you need to follow your doctor's advice for now. You may not get your dream body right away, for that you will need to lift heavier. But right now, you are rehabbing an injury and need to take care with how rough you are on it. If you don't, it could sideline you for a lot longer than it otherwise would.

Ask me how I know?! I have a bad habit of pushing too much too quickly with an injury and it ends up biting me in the rear, it's something I'm working on. Take your time, this is all about the long haul.
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Options
    Thank you to all who took the time to help me !!! I will continue on as I am enjoying what I'm doing, super helpful mentally, just wished it showed on the outside in the mirror !!! :flowerforyou:
  • christa96
    christa96 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It will show. I, too, have about 30 lbs. I would left to lose. I have been lifting for about 2 months now and I am definitely seeing definition and my measurements are getting smaller! Slowly... but I would rather have that than quickly lose. I am still doing a lot of cardio!!! Not sure how old you are but women need more cardio to burn those calories/fat! The weight is not coming off quickly but I will keep doing cardio and eating a balanced diet. Good luck to you!