Staying Healthy During a Crisis

Options
I have recently suffered the devastating loss of my younger brother-in-law. This trauma has thrown me way off track.

I have not been doing well at keeping myself healthy for the last week and a half. I spent a few days not eating anything, or eating very little; then, because I wasn’t preparing meals for myself, I began eating whatever my family placed in front of me. So when I was eating, I wasn’t eating anything healthy. I also have not been exercising at all.

I am physically, mentally, and emotionally drained and therefore I do not have the energy to grocery shop, prepare healthy meals, or get any amount of exercise.

I am now back in my own home and trying to get back into my routine.

I know that in order to begin to feel better I need to eat healthy and exercise. The problem is that I don’t have the energy to do that. I’m exhausted. I don’t have a huge support system around my home so it’s difficult to get friends and family to help me.
I need to keep myself healthy and I’m having a difficult time.

If anyone has suggestions or tips on how to stay healthy during a crisis, I would love to hear them. What have you all done to keep yourselves healthy when it was especially hard to do so? I need help from some MFP friends. :) I appreciate any suggestions you have to offer.

Replies

• worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    First, I'm sorry you are experiencing this. It sounds like a difficult situation and I commend you for understanding that you need a lot of self-care right now.

In the fall I went through a family health crisis when my husband was suddenly critically ill. I can relate to how you describe your experience. I lost weight in the first two weeks and then promptly ate and ate and ate like it would keep me and everyone around me safe. So I gained about 10 pounds in 3 months.

What I did about that?
    Number one, I forgave myself. I recognized this was an impossibly difficult time and that beating myself up about it wouldn't help. I recognized I was navigating something very new.
    Second, I started to add self-care back into my routine. This included meditation, reading, a warm bath, nice smelling candles, and walks in nice weather. I didn't do anything that felt harsh - 3 mile runs, etc. :)

As I acknowledged that I was just trying to feel safe, I was able to say that food wouldn't make me safe. These other acts of kindness to myself were much more soothing.

2 months later I have lost 7 of those 10 pounds and I am still working to take care of myself and letting my heart heal.

All the best to you as you take steps forward :flowerforyou:
  • smilingalltheway
    smilingalltheway Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    First I am very sorry for your loss, now you need to take care of yourself if lossing weight right now is to much just maintain for now until you are stronger and feeling better. Rest, eat as healthy as you can, and exercise lightly. You will feel better in time and you can resume your weight loss at that time. Take care of yourself, be kind to yourself, and give yourself the time to heal. My thoughts are with you take care.
  • sherryn84
    Options
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss :frown: and i hope this may help inspire you. When my granddad passed away just over a year ago i went, numb, i started to not eat anything then i started eating everything and anything. i ate when i was happy sad mad, never do i remember being hungry. I put on 59lbs, thank goodness for the physically demanding job i have or i think i would have put on 100+lbs, finally this january (been a year and 5 months since my granddads death :brokenheart: ) i looked in the mirror and didnt see me anymore and realized that if i didnt change i was going to end up just as sick (if not worse) then he was. i also have a 6yr old son who needed me, and that is when i decided to go to my doctor. your short message on here sounds alot like what i went threw but you are just in the begining stages please if you feel yourself becoming distant or numb as i like to call it, find someone to talk to doesnt have to be a doctor, the worst thing you can do is eat (or not eat) your emotions. try to remember to get back to your life, none of our loved ones would want to see you like this. as for your energy levels, i find that a really good Vitamin D pill (i like the ones you chew :tongue: ) will perk you up a little. and keeping busy even if its just doing a craft or reading a book helps with the mental part of it. i hope this helped and again sorry for your loss.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. :smile:

I have been eating uncontrollably the last couple of days and not moving far from my bed or couch. Today is a new day and I am going to get my healthy lifestyle back.
    Heeding all of your advice, I am going to take baby steps to get back into my routine. Do little bouts of exercise, aim for preparing one healthy meal per day, and take some time for myself.

I appreciate your kind words and advice during my turmoil.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for what happened. I hope peace finds you soon. In times like this, I've found I'm only able to concentrate on one aspect of being healthier. Drinking more water, a single workout a day, eating a healthier dinner - something like that, day by day, until I eventually feel up to doing more.

You've got a lot of energy being poured into just staying above water right now, if you have to tread, it's okay.
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice.
    I think that taking it slowly seems more manageable and less overwhelming to me right now and that's what I'll have to do until I get back to my old self again.
  • Goddessmaker1
    Goddessmaker1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Baby steps and don't beat yourself up. You will bounce back just take your time. Don't bury your emotions. Work through them.