What should I set my calories to?

Options
My Dr. wants me to eat at 1200 calories and mfp has me set to 1340 calories do you think it will make that much of a difference?
I did the IPOARM from the link I found on here and it has me eating 1700 calories a day. I am so confused. My stats are 5'4" 170 lbs.Exercise maybe 3 days a week for 45 minutes a day.I try to get in at least 10,000 steps a day.I don't lift weights,can't afford to go to a gym. Any help appreciated.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Start with 1700. Wait at least 3 weeks. No weight loss? Decrease by 100-200. Wait 3 more weeks. Still no difference? Repeat until you start losing weight.
  • getter1952
    Options
    Thank you for your response. Will I gain eating that much?
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My Dr. wants me to eat at 1200 calories and mfp has me set to 1340 calories do you think it will make that much of a difference?
    I did the IPOARM from the link I found on here and it has me eating 1700 calories a day. I am so confused. My stats are 5'4" 170 lbs.Exercise maybe 3 days a week for 45 minutes a day.I try to get in at least 10,000 steps a day.I don't lift weights,can't afford to go to a gym. Any help appreciated.

Do you know how much you eat now? And do you know why your Dr. recommended 1200/day? Also, what is your goal weight? It is recommended to lose about 1 lb/week. The first week you will lose more, mostly just water weight, as your body adjusts to you drinking more water and eating more healthfully.

I definitely trust my doctor more than mfp, but you might want to find out his/her reasoning.