having trouble losing lbs. on vegetarian diet

Options
Hello All:

I began a vegetarian diet 2 months ago after seeing the movie "Food, Inc." . I am very passionate about animals and the factory farming
practices horrify me. I have seen so much and read so much in researching this that I absolutely have no desire for meat.

My issue is that I cannot seem to lose weight with my new way of eating. I spoke with the nutritionist at my gym and she says that (based on my body type and where I store fat) I will not be able to lose weight and change my body on a vegetarian diet.
She thinks that I am insulin resistant and that all of the beans and grains, etc. are going to make it hard to lose.

Even with a strong moral opposition to meat, I am considering adding it back in for at least 1 meal a day to see if it makes any difference. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm torn.

Replies

• tavander
    tavander Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I respect your moral views and can see how important it is to you to remain vegetarian if possible. Maybe schedule an appointment with a food nutritionist or dietician? I'm not sure how the person at your gym is qualified but a professional with a bit more knowledge might be what you need.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for almost two years now due to health issues with my stomach/colon. In talking to other vegetarians, many who had gained weight, I realized that in not eating meats, they were increasing greatly their carbs and sugars. So I had to greatly reevaluate what I was eating (this site helped tremendously) and realized I was doing the same thing. It took a few months to get into the swing of things, and sometimes still have setbacks, but it eventually evened out.

Now, I just have the same problems as every other dieter out there. Controlling my intake and exercising more :wink:
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for about a year now. I did not start losing weight until I really cut back on the bread and pasta and started exercising. What really helped me was getting a kitchen scale and actually measuring my portions of pasta, rice, beans, etc. I also had to limit the amount of beans I eat as well. The kitchen scale has really helped me lost weight (more than 30 pounds since January), I don't think using measuring cups works as well. I also try to exercise, about 40-45 minutes of cardio most days. I also discovered that I had a dairy intolerance and so now I feel much better, i eat soy yogurt and soy cheese. I make my own soy milk and tofu. When you make a big change to your diet, especially becoming vegetarian, it is easy to start overeating on carbohydrates to stay satisfied. I think it is important, especially if you feel strongly about the meat industry (as many of us do), that you remain vegetarian. Feel free to add me as friend--we could swap recipes, etc.
    Good luck!
  • kellycrow
    kellycrow Posts: 140
    Options
    my weight loss has been (and will continue to be) on a vegan diet. i always do better when going for a more raw food diet than just vegan. you can eat vegetarian/vegan and eat unhealthy. you really have to watch it, as i have found! Check out Alicia Silverstone's book - The Kind Diet... I read The Hallelujah Diet first but based on your comments about the animals, etc, I think you'll like The Kind Diet. There is a lot of good advice and she talks a lot about what types of food worked for her... local seasonal fruits & veggies were key for her as well. I found that very interesting. You bet I will be planting a garden for the first time this year!! :o)
    But you CAN do it... don't give up. Talk to a nutritionist who knows vegetarian/vegan diets. Several nutritionists that I have heard about really want to push the meat and fish etc so make sure you find one who is open minded.
    So - try as much raw as possible (this eliminates a lot of the starchy foods like pasta, bread, etc but there are a LOT of GREAT recipes for yummy foods out there!)
    Check out the Fat Free Vegan blog, too, for recipes. She is great!
    Good luck & don't give up!!!
    Kelly
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    The key is balance. I am not a vegetarian but I don't eat much meat (maybe 2-3 times a week I eat chicken or turkey). I do always make sure I have a balance of 40 carbs/30 protein/30 fat for each meal or as close as I can come to it.

That said I eat tofu 2-3 times a week. When I do a stir fry or something, I throw tofu in there. Honestly it tastes like whatever you're cooking it in, it is really flavorless on its own. Even my husband will eat it. You need to make sure you're not substituting too many carbs/sugar for the lack of protein. I also eat a lot of eggs - I saw the movie Food Inc too and now I only buy cage free eggs - and I eat a greek yogurt every day, and cottage cheese. Believe me, there are plenty of protein sources out there that don't involve meat. Shrimp/shellfish is another good way to get in some protein.
  • KateDonnelly
    Options
    It's possible to lose with a vegetarian diet. Find a professional in your area who specializes in vegetarian diet or even vegan and they can tell you how to refine your diet. I was a vegetarian for years and all the info out their can do more harm then good. Find good guidance and you will be all set. If going meatless is important to you, stick to it.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I may have to go to a larger city for a dietician that is knowledgable in this though.
    I live in a small town and people look at you like you have 4 heads if you say you don't eat meat.

Thanks for all of the advice!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for over 16 years. I have lost and gained weight. A lot of it came from what I was eating. I would highly suggest you cut back on pastas, white breads, and white rice. Actually you shouldn't really cut back too much on the beans and some of the whole grains because they will keep you filled longer and actually help in losing weight.

What exactly are you eating? Sometimes the meat substitutes can have a lot of sodium in them. You can make a lot of dishes with tofu, seitian, tempeh or beans to get the protein you need.

There are a lot of books out there for people starting out to give you an idea of what you can eat and still stay morally correct.

Also, if you are committed to being a vegetarian, there are a lot of foods that have hidden animal products in them. Some cheeses are made with animal rennet. If you order soup at a restaurant it doesn't specifically state it is vegetarian, it probably isn't. It took me a while to figure it all out. After 16 years, I really don't think anything about it and ignore the comments and looks people give me when I say I am a vegetarian.
  • innerhottie
    Options
    I actually cannot stand any of the meat substitutes. I don't like them at all and don't eat them.

My usual day is:

Breakfast:
    Either a bowl of Kellogg's Smart Start with 2% organic milk and blueberries or strawberries
    or
    Weight control high protein oatmeal with raisins
    or
    an egg, a slice of high fiber toast and a banana

Lunch:
    Bean burrito and salad
    or
    pasta (multi grain) with marinara and mushrooms
    or
    vegetarian soup of some type and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich

Dinner:
    stirfried veggies and rice
    or
    veggie lasagna and salad
    or
    grilled portabello mushrooms and onions, corn on the cobb, salad, veggies or baked potato
    or
    veggie pizza and salad

Snacks:
    fruit and nuts or fruit and cheese, chips with salsa and guacamole, veggies and dip

any advice would be appreciated.
  • kdiamond
    Options
    I see very little protein in your diet.

My suggestions:

switch out the processed oatmeal for steel cut oatmeal
    2-3 eggwhites instead of 1 egg
    switch the bean burrito for a whole wheat burrito with black beans
    cut out the pasta (substitute quinoa instead - full of protein)
    throw some extra firm tofu chunks in your stirfry
  • lawkat
    Options
    I agree with kdiamond.

What kind of dressing do you use in your salad and dips? The low fat stuff has a ton of sugar in it. I would suggest a nice vinaigrette made with olive oil or other healthy oils. It could be that you need a little more healthy fats in your diet. Sometimes a low fat diet isn't all that great because you aren't getting enough healthy fats. The guacamole is great for healthy fats or avacados in general are great for that. What kind of nuts do you eat? Almonds and walnuts are the best. Walnuts are a great source of omega-3 which is something you might be lacking being a vegetarian even though you do eat eggs.
  • kdiamond
    Options
    In addition to what the AP said I would take one fish oil capsule per day.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Please see a diatician not some person at the gym (I personally feel that they have little to no knowledge of vegetarian and vegan lifestyles). My own personal trainer recomened a high protein diet without realising that I'm a vegetarian (I can do high protein as long as it's from non-meat sources-it's just more involved).

Feel free to look at my food diary (I don't log on weekends though).

Many vegetarians and vegans tend to increase their carbs after commiting to the veg lifestyle....this doesn't need to happen. There are plenty of alternatives to eating that many carbs (granted my ratio is 50%, 20%, 30%-I am about to up the protein though).

Also, there is nothing wrong with not eating meat substitutes (I rarely do). Please look at vegweb.com for some great recipies they have alot that are non-faux meat.

*edit: there is a plethera of info on PETAs website as to animal byproducts in foods, cosmetics, clothing, house hold items, ect...(I'm not a huge fan of PETA...they take things a little too far sometimes...but their intentions are good).
  • lawkat
    Options
    If you don't want to do fish oil capsules. You could take flaxseed capsules. I do that to get my omega-3s in since I don't eat fish. You can also sprinkle some crushed flaxseed on your salad. They make flaxseed oil, but it has to be kept cold all the time because it can go rancid pretty quick left out at room temperature.
  • innerhottie
    Options
    Thanks for the input.
    Actually, the person at the gym is a certified nutritionist (for over 20 years). She just doesn't have a practice anymore.

I use homemade vinagrettes most of the time and my nuts are usually always raw almonds, sometimes cashews.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

That's not vegetarian
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

That's not vegetarian

It is...it's just not strict (it would be considered pescitarian).
  • lawkat
    Options
    How many calories a day are you consuming? I think your body has become accustomed to the same or similar foods you are eating everyday. You might want to try and add some new foods and play around with how many calories you consume everyday.

I have found that if I eat the same or similar foods day after day, the weight loss stops. You might want to look into making some new dishes or fruits and veggies to eat to give your metabolism a boost.
  • innerhottie
    Options
    I am eating between 1200-1700 a day. I try to alternate a low cal and high cal day.
    I burn between 400-600 calories a day with my workouts.
  • Angelface28
    Angelface28 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    First of all I think it's awesome that you've chosen to become a vegetarian, I have been one for 2 yrs now and completely agree with your moral stance. Sometimes it takes a while for your body to get used to such a drastic change.

I would definately consider getting a second opinion from a nutritionist whose willing to work with you. Vegetarianism can be an incredibly healthy lifestyle if done right, much more so than a carnivorous one. Plus your also saving the environment, water, and 90,000 animals a year.

Most of all dont give up, there is a diet out there that's perfect for you. Just make sure your healthy, what the scale says doesn't really matter. In case it will help motivate you, I was around 135 lbs in high school I'm 5' 5" and tried numerous diets to slim down a little. Once I started college I became a vegetarian and really tried to eat healthy. I wasn't even trying to lose weight. This change in focus did the trick and now I usually weigh between 110 and 115, but the best part is that I have lots of energy, am really healthy, and feel great about my choices. I dont always eat perfectly, ben and jerrys is right next to my apartment ;-), but my vegetarian diet gives me a lot of leeway in terms of calories. I'll never go back to eating meat, I couldn't live with myself if I did.

Also it sounds like you work out a lot, you might be losing inches and just not lbs, dont forget that muscle is more dense that fat.

Sorry to write a novel, hope some of it helps, and if you want any tips or vegetarian recipes let me know.