Maintenance struggles

Options
I know what I need to do, but am having trouble finding the motivation to do it! Just need to vent, and get a kick in the *kitten*!

I started my weight loss goal two years ago, and managed to lose 64 pounds in 18 months to reach my goal (my third goal, the first two didn't seem like enough weight loss once I got there). It took me a few months and a painful relationship breakup to find the motivation 2 years ago, but once I had the motivation it was easy. I was pretty strict with myself in both diet and exercise because that's what worked for me. Also, I had goals. I was extremely goal driven. I had a weight loss goal, and I signed up for a 5k race, then 10k, then a couple 5k mud runs, climbing Mt Kilimanjaro, then a Tough Mudder. I even had a few other goals not related to fitness that kept me motivated throughout 2012. I managed to reach every one of my fitness goals. I hit my weight goal by September, and completed Tough Mudder at the beginning of October. Then I stopped for a well deserved break.

Since then I've gone on a few short runs and lots of dog walks. I've gone to the gym once or twice, but not enough to maintain any muscle. Every now and then I'll do a couple chinups, but in October I could do 6 or 7, now I struggle to do 3. The good news is that I have managed to keep my weight about the same. I've managed to not go too crazy with bad food habits. I normally fluctuate within about 5 pounds, but right now I'm 8 pounds above my lowest weight. So I've gained a bit of weight, but lost a lot of muscle... and I'm starting to feel it. I completed a second Tough Mudder last weekend, but without any measurable training since October it kicked my *kitten*. I was so sore afterwards compared to the first one.

So I decided winter is almost over and I need to get my *kitten* back in gear and stop taking this break that has lasted far too long. I want to get that strength back, start eating better, lose a couple of those extra pounds that snuck back on and get back to running. I signed up for another 5k next month and a half marathon in July, but I'm still having trouble getting off my *kitten*. Since I was so goal driven last year I thought having a new goal would help a lot, but right now running just doesn't seem that exciting.

I know what I need to do is just stop waiting for motivation and go start. The good news is, I went for a long walk this morning even though it was blizzarding, and while writing this post I managed to eat an entire head of celery, instead of something a lot less healthy.

Getting started again is the hardest part. Sigh.

Replies

• tinboy
    tinboy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    "Getting started again is the hardest part. Sigh"

Isn't that the truth! Hang in there.