Numbers won't get me down..

Options
mhoss101
mhoss101 Posts: 49 Member
I started mfp a week ago and when I weighed myself last Wednesday, I logged my weight. I weighed myself again before my weekly weight in and was down 3 lbs. I weighed myself this morning for my weekly weigh in and was up 2 lbs. Now the emotional part of my brain started going into freak out mode.. “all this hard work and blah, blah blah”.. we’ve all been there.. but then the logical side of my brain kicked in and was like “self, look at all that you have accomplished in just a week”

1. I went to the gym 5 times in a week.. 5 TIMES!!! and by the 3rd day, I actually wanted to go.
2. This past Saturday, I did an hour and a half of cardio and didn’t die!
3. For the first time in I can’t remember how long, I am holding myself accountable for what I eat.
4. For lunch the other day, I had a banana instead of potato wedges and mac and cheese.
5. I joined an online community that shows so much support, you all make Richard Simmons look like Simon Cowell.
6. I haven’t eaten fast food at all this week! (This is a big one.. I am a huge fast-food breakfast junkie)
7. For the first time ever, I am setting workout/nutritional goals.

So instead of getting hung up on a number, I am celebrating my first week accomplishments and looking forward to week two. Week two goals are..

1. Attempting a kickboxing class.
2. Making 2 of my 5 workout days in the am.
3. Getting more sleep.
4. Eating more veggies.

I take comfort in knowing that I will never again weigh this much and things can only improve from here. Thanks to everyone for the inspiration and support. How do I move a mountain? One inch at a time..

Replies

• kaylada89
    kaylada89 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same as you number wise. I haven't excerised as much as i do now and ate as healthy, but my weight is going up 3 pounds down 4 lbs then up again. Well done on your lifestyle change, i am sure the numbers will catch up with you and i am hoping the same will happen for me. Good Luck!!!!!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I love your positive attitude. Your body is going through some massive changes. Your weight will hold on for dear life. Keep going and eventually it will lose its grip. Great job!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    When you first start working out, your muscles hold water. After you've been at it for awhile and your body is used to it, it will let go of those pounds. Trust me.
  • mhoss101
    Options
    See.. this is what I am talking about! Such support! Thank you! Its nice to know that I am going into battle with some backup!
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You could not have posted this on a better day!! Thank you.

I needed something like this last night. I worked so hard this past week. I got weighed in at WW and was up 1.5. This is the one week I was certain I had lost more than my average 1.5 pounds. That was a lesson in humility for sure.

I know it's water retention because I had a sock mark on my leg all last night from retaining water. However, it took me several hours of feeling sorry for myself (which I don't do very often), then getting mad before I took the logic route. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one that this happens to.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Your attitude is remarkable and that is what will make you a complete success. You are inspiring and I needed to hear what you had to say!
  • mhoss101
    Options
    You could not have posted this on a better day!! Thank you.

I needed something like this last night. I worked so hard this past week. I got weighed in at WW and was up 1.5. This is the one week I was certain I had lost more than my average 1.5 pounds. That was a lesson in humility for sure.

I know it's water retention because I had a sock mark on my leg all last night from retaining water. However, it took me several hours of feeling sorry for myself (which I don't do very often), then getting mad before I took the logic route. It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one that this happens to.

Normally I would hop right on the bus to negative town and that is what has killed my motivation and ultimately led to me quitting so many times before. I figured if I focus on the things I am doing right, with the things I can change, then I will be successfully. I know I will have my days where I will want to throw in the towel and go on an eating binge, but its not today.. and when I do hit that wall, I can look back and be proud of my accomplishments. Hang in there! The weight will come off..
  • KateDonnelly
    Options
    Wow, I needed to hear that too. Your positive attitude is inspiring. I gained this week and am also pretty sure it is water retention from vigorous workouts but was feeling pretty blue about it! I needed the reminder of why I am doing this at all. It isn't about skinny. It's about living a healthy, happy, balanced life. Thank you for sharing your insight with the group. You are doing a great job!
  • losingweightfor30
    losingweightfor30 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You're positive attitude is inspirational. I know I get demotivated when the scale yo-yo's, but looking at the positives will keep us more motivated!! Great job!
  • gnakazawa
    gnakazawa Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Never, EVER give up....I expect that your fluctuation could be water and let's not forget that being a woman you will retain some fluid as a natural process...so proud of you to NOT beat yourself up! Stick with it, record your food, drink your water, stay with the exercise and you will be rewarded! You CAN do this!!!
  • cymills
    cymills Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes- I truly believe scales were invented ny a man!!! The numbers can drive you crazy!!!. It also appears the less positive the results - the more obsessed we get with the scales. FWIW...focus on staying true to logging in all you eat . i also have found a pair of "skinny" jeans , from way back when?..and keep those handy. i try them on approx every four days. Your results may be seen better withthe way your clothes fit & feel vs the numbers on the scales! Hang in there!
  • jmatecki
    jmatecki Posts: 32
    Options
    I want to thank you and everyone else in this posting for putting my mind the correct mindset. I wasn't the most excited to see just a .2 drop for all the work I have been doing but now I see how much progress I have done. It was as if you took the info straight from my head b/c all the progress you made was exactly what I have done. This was just what I needed! Thanks everyone...I would love everyone to add me as their friend and keep me positive =)
  • Berliner
    Berliner Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    this is great, someone like me!! I was wondering why my sodium intake was so high yesterday...mhhh maybe the chips?? lol
    thank you for sharing!

:flowerforyou:
  • nikkolatwell
    Options
    2. This past Saturday, I did an hour and a half of cardio and didn’t die!

I seriously love this comment, I cant tell you how many time I have been surprised I haven't died : ) You made me smile today, Thanks
  • mhoss101
    Options
    Never, EVER give up....I expect that your fluctuation could be water and let's not forget that being a woman you will retain some fluid as a natural process...so proud of you to NOT beat yourself up! Stick with it, record your food, drink your water, stay with the exercise and you will be rewarded! You CAN do this!!!

giving up is not an option for me.. i know that if i give up, then i eventually have to start over and this cycle has been going on for almost 10 years.. losing, not losing, getting discouraged and giving up.. so on and so forth.. time flies so before i know it, it will be a year from now and i will be posting my before and after pictures.. thank you so much for your support!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    W
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    What a great attitude! With an attitude like that you can't fail!
  • DawnCallas
    Options
    What perfect timing! I litterally just signed on to report a gain! Your attitude on things snapped me back to where I needed to be. This week was my second week of HARD workouts and I feel that may have something to do with it! I too have gotten to were I LIKE to work out and feel dissappointed when I do not get to! Thank you for being so uplifting! You are a great inspiration! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • mhoss101
    Options
    What perfect timing! I litterally just signed on to report a gain! Your attitude on things snapped me back to where I needed to be. This week was my second week of HARD workouts and I feel that may have something to do with it! I too have gotten to were I LIKE to work out and feel dissappointed when I do not get to! Thank you for being so uplifting! You are a great inspiration! :flowerforyou: :heart:

Thank you!! I just keep reminding myself its about how I feel, not what the scale says.. I know I will have my challenges but a positive attitude is what its all about.. that and a supportive community like mfp!
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    Good for you for being motivated! I feel like the real pounds will come off when working out isn't a chore and it's something we love to do and look forward too! Your fat is probably turning to muscle and that's why the scale is up! Don't be disapointed, be happy for yourself. I don't pay attention to numbers either, just my skinny jeans and my inches. I'll bet there's a difference in your inches by the end of this week! Good luck, I'm cheering for ya!:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!