How do I find a personal trainer?

Options
lklkl5
lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
Help, I would like to work with a personal trainer for a few months. How do I go about finding one if I don't belong to a gym? None of my friends have used one and mostly what I am finding are boot camps that are a bit intimidating at this point.

Replies

• NanaWubbie
    NanaWubbie Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    A personal trainer is a fantastic investment in yourself. I found mine almost by accident. I went to a friend's church auction and placed a low bid on 2 sessions. It was an opportunity to try before you buy, and the one I picked was fantastic!!! (Personal Best Fitness, if in Nashville, TN). It was a private gym....so it was just me and the trainer, that's it. He helped me work up to my first 5 K, and because I was the only one there, I could focus on me learning how to improve myself, and not compare myself to everyone else.
  • Zosimah
    Zosimah Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I started by googling "Personal Trainer {Name of the town}" and read reviews, compared certifications, etc. Once I narrowed the field down to 5-6, I picked up the phone and started calling each of them and set a time to meet them in their gyms and/or studios for a meet and greet.

I decided I wanted to go with one tied to a gym so I was evaluating the gyms at the same time. While there I got to meet some of their other clients and got first hand feedback. After that I went with who I was most comfortable with, thought most understood my goals, and fell within my budget.

My main goal was motivation to get started, help with building a long term fitness plan, someone to ask some base nutrition questions, and remind me how to get in shape. I was once a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army, but have been out of practice for a long time and pretty much had zero confidence. The trainer I chose is helping me to remember I know what I'm doing.

It's important to be upfront with your goals and be honest about things you simply don't know. My trainer and I agreed on a timeline to get started and to teach technique for bar/free weights as I simply can't afford a long term trainer right now (I have to drive about 40 miles each way on top of his fee and the gym membership). We talked about that up front so he knows the time frame so he can build the correct plan.

Take care and live well.
  • joel3736
    joel3736 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You can go to personaltrainercentral.com, as a lot of us trainers are on there looking for clients and they in turn use it to look for trainers.
  • lklkl5
    lklkl5 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Any advice on what to look for in a personal trainer? I've never done this before so frankly I don't even know what to ask.