Eat more to weigh more, apparently.

Options

Replies

• ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    not just strength training dollface - WEIGHTS!!!

dont let me catch you lifting something that weighs less than your purse like 30 times!

^^^^ if you want to lose body fat, and fast (well relatively fast) lift heavy weights!

i did cardio for almost a year and was 10lbs away from goal, without the body i wanted. in 3 months of stronglifts 5x5 my abs have popped out of nowhere, i have cleaner lines down my body (fat is redistributing) and my thighs are sleeker, less lumps and bumps. i would be satisfied with this body if i didn't lose any more weight.
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    You might try eating more frequently to kick start your metabolism. You seem to be eating at a decent calorie range, but maybe you should try to break that up into more meals throughout the day. Keep as active as you are, and do the activities you enjoy. Good luck!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    You might try eating more frequently to kick start your metabolism. You seem to be eating at a decent calorie range, but maybe you should try to break that up into more meals throughout the day. Keep as active as you are, and do the activities you enjoy. Good luck!

Lol. Eating more often while holding cals and macros constant doesn't do anything special to lower meal frequency
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for everyone's advice and for taking the time to respond.

My diary isn't open, but to clarify some comments--I don't eat fast food or chips or anything processed. I am vegetarian and try to get protein through beans and lentils, though I do notice that if I'm falling under in MFP numbers it's consistently in protein.

As for exercise, I'm a runner, but have fallen out of it because the lack of progress is demotivating for me. Most of you have suggested strength training, so I guess I should get my *kitten* in gear.

I might also mention that when I saw my doctor about this, he refused to have me tested for anything and tried to put me on anti-depressants. I'm extremely nervous about attempting a dr consultation again.

Thanks again, all =)

You said youre a runner? a true runner doesnt give up running, so don't give it up. get your booty out there and take a jog. It will not only clear your mind, it will motivate you - and you know this!
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I agree about Weight Watchers. It killed my healthy eating. Processed foods and diet soda to keep low on points is not a way to live life. For goodness sakes on the old plan I could drink 7 diet sodas a day but had to watch my fruit intake. I remember feeling so sluggish because I was putting poison into my body and eating low calories. Now, I am eating a bit more, weigh the SAME, and feel great. It took some time to adjust to eating more but was well worth it.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    another +1 for strength training here, lift weights, try and up your protein though i can imagine it's difficult being a veggie, i'd keep up the running too maybe not to the extent you were, at 30% BF it sounds like you've lost muscle rather than fat as someone else mentioned, it's good to weigh yourself but i'd focus on measurements for at least the next... 3 months build yourself up in muscle, and you'll see the fat loss you want, work your core muscles, arms, chest and legs, high reps for arms and chest, weighted squats and lunges for your legs and planks and crunches for your core
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I agree about Weight Watchers. It killed my healthy eating. Processed foods and diet soda to keep low on points is not a way to live life. For goodness sakes on the old plan I could drink 7 diet sodas a day but had to watch my fruit intake. I remember feeling so sluggish because I was putting poison into my body and eating low calories. Now, I am eating a bit more, weigh the SAME, and feel great. It took some time to adjust to eating more but was well worth it.

Same! WW practically gave me an eating disorder! I didn't eat for 2 days straight before a weigh in because I'd get asked if I had had a binge during the week if I was the same weight or higher - then I'd stuff myself after the meeting. Such a waste of money..but I have to give WW credit for making me find a better way of eating and not settling for their crap.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    ...when I was doing Cardio Core Bootcamp, I didn't lose a single pound...

...For 4 weeks I've been on the Wendie plan...

My $.02:

4 weeks just isn't a long time. (metaphor warning!) Have you ever taken a road detour while driving? Sometimes it seems like you're going way the wrong way, but because of other factors, sometimes it's actually the quickest way to get where you're going.(end metaphor) If you've been trying the same thing for 5 years, I challenge you to give this 6 months.

Most of the studies I've seen indicate that long form cardio just isn't that helpful for losing weight for many people - though exceptions do abound. I would recommend that you try a) weightlifting and b) maximum intensity sprints e.g. tabata.

Finally, try changing your macro mix. Whatever you've done obviously isn't working, so try something different. I like the "Paleo" family of diets, but just make sure it's something different from what you've been doing.

Good luck!
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    My TDEE -20% is 1300 calories, which I've been meeting daily.

Your calorie count is 1300, you are probably underestimating your activity level.. Sounds like you are moderately active, so there is very little chance you have the right amount. You need to have patience and be true about your activity and eat correctly for your body or else you will be stuck in your plateau.. You won't be able to reduce your BF% if your deficit is too great because as you can tell your just losing muscle that you maybe trying to build.
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options

^^ me too ! Thanks for the link
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

dont let me catch you lifting something that weighs less than your purse like 30 times!

^^^^ if you want to lose body fat, and fast (well relatively fast) lift heavy weights!

i did cardio for almost a year and was 10lbs away from goal, without the body i wanted. in 3 months of stronglifts 5x5 my abs have popped out of nowhere, i have cleaner lines down my body (fat is redistributing) and my thighs are sleeker, less lumps and bumps. i would be satisfied with this body if i didn't lose any more weight.

Yes. SAME. 100% - well 90% - I enjoy seeing how much better my body is gonna get
  • laccy40
    laccy40 Posts: 136
    Options
    OP, I feel your pain. I'm 5'7" but I was also eating under 1000 cals most days. I thought I was doing everything right, but somehow I I turned it all on its head so I was cutting portions of good stuff to allow extra rubbish. The result was I wasn't very overweight ( maybe 10lb) but with 40% bf and massively depleted muscles. I am slowly learning to undo the damage I've done. I'm now eating 1950 cals and just started lifting 3 x a week. I've cut cardio right down but even then I'm not sure if I'm eating enough to catch up with myself. But my bf% is now about 28% so it's great news. My point is, you might have to eat at tdee for 4-6 weeks to give your body a real rest before you start over. The eat more to weigh less group has great advice about this.:flowerforyou:
  • samantha1242
    samantha1242 Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Yes. SAME. 100% - well 90% - I enjoy seeing how much better my body is gonna get

Great username and pic. That is all.
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    OP, I feel your pain. I'm 5'7" but I was also eating under 1000 cals most days. I thought I was doing everything right, but somehow I I turned it all on its head so I was cutting portions of good stuff to allow extra rubbish. The result was I wasn't very overweight ( maybe 10lb) but with 40% bf and massively depleted muscles. I am slowly learning to undo the damage I've done. I'm now eating 1950 cals and just started lifting 3 x a week. I've cut cardio right down but even then I'm not sure if I'm eating enough to catch up with myself. But my bf% is now about 28% so it's great news. My point is, you might have to eat at tdee for 4-6 weeks to give your body a real rest before you start over. The eat more to weigh less group has great advice about this.:flowerforyou:

Thank you for sharing! Its inspirational and wonderful to know our bodies can recover from abuse we put it through. This is also a great reminder not to allow myself to get sucked into eating ridiculously low amounts of calories in pursuit of a NUMBER. I am in pursuit of health and an attractive body.

Hope the OP is doing good and finding this method paying off.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I was on 800-1000 cals a day for years and believe me, it does a number on the metabolism. Like me you probably lost a lot of lean mass along with fat at that low of an intake. I basically had to do a metabolic re set which took about a year. I ate at maintenance and even gained some weight back but eventually my body started to accept that more food would be on its way and I started to slowly lose on 1400 to 1500 cals (at the time that was 20%TDEE I was 250lbs and 5'6"). As I lost and and got closer to my goal I raised my calories to 15%TDEE then 10%TDEE with 10lbs to go and when I hit goal I transisioned to maintenance which is now 2400 cals a day. (At one time I was maintaining on 1200 cals. NOT NORMAL)

With 15lbs to lose 20%TDEE might be too aggressive you might be more successful on 15%tdee. . It will take time no matter what because of the likely damage caused by under eating for so long. Be patient and focus on that fat%. Lifting heavy or any any kind of strength training will help tremendously.

Above all else BE PATIENT. If you would like to add me I would love to help you or anyone else transision into a healthy balanced diet/ lifestyle. Starvation is not needed to lose and be happy.

Good luck!!!