How do you determine your goal weight?

Options
Hi Guys,

How do u determine how much you need to loose? is it based on ur BMI?

Replies

• morgennn
    morgennn Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It's up to you really :) I've based mines on memory - I remember feeling good at around 130lbs! My BMI is 26.7 at the moment so my first goal is to get below a BMI of 25.. Then my ultimate goal is to be around 130lbs or whatever weight I begin to feel comfortable at :)
  • Starrynightgrl45
    Starrynightgrl45 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Mine is but I also looked at a website: www.mybodygallery.com to see approximately what I wanted to look like within the healthy range.

I don't actually have a goal weight anymore as much as a goal look. I want to look and feel healthy and I don't care if that's 150 lbs or 130lbs. All I know is that it is NOT 220 lbs. LOL
  • Pitch_Adder
    Options
    I actually found this website on Pinterest. I can't remember which one it was (sorry about that), but I'm very sure that you could be able to Google "how to find my ideal weight" or something like that. But like one girl had said, it's really up to you. I'm actually going for 5 pounds less than my ideal weight should be, then I'm (hopefully) going to build up to the ideal weight gaining muscle. You could choose to gain muscle on the way to your goal - it's really up to you! ^_^ Hope this helped, even a little bit! ♫
  • Thatslimgal84
    Options
    I actually found this website on Pinterest. I can't remember which one it was (sorry about that), but I'm very sure that you could be able to Google "how to find my ideal weight" or something like that. But like one girl had said, it's really up to you. I'm actually going for 5 pounds less than my ideal weight should be, then I'm (hopefully) going to build up to the ideal weight gaining muscle. You could choose to gain muscle on the way to your goal - it's really up to you! ^_^ Hope this helped, even a little bit! ♫

thank u sweetie.. :flowerforyou:
  • CrimeanGurl
    CrimeanGurl Posts: 103
    Options
    I set my goal at the lowest healthy BMI (the only weight at which my legs look more or less presentable), but I am willing to rethink it if I find that I look great at a higher weight due to some a muscle gain.
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Kind of both. I want to be around my sisters weight, maybe a little bit above. But BMI is good for height and to see what would be healthy.

"I'm more concerned with how my body looks than the number on the scale."
    I agree with that as well.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i have mine set for 180 because thats the lowest i remember being in high school. i may go down to 160 after that, but as another poster said, im more concerned with how my body looks than the number on the scale. according to the bmi charts i should weigh like 150 max to be in the healthy range, and i just cant see myself there - but we'll see
  • valeriewxy
    valeriewxy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've based mine on my ideal BMI somewhat (around 125 lbs or so), with the caveat that I will judge as I go along ;) I'll stop when I'm happy with what I see in the mirror :D

Edit: I'm Asian, so my healthy BMI range is supposedly between 18.5 and 23.0 >.<
  • kmtwedell
    kmtwedell Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    An IBW calculator may help you also if you type in what was suggested into google some sites offer multiple theories of how to figure your ideal body weight. ultimately though it is where you feel the most comfortable these are mostly just guidelines and not really meant for everyone. :)
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i based it personally on what i 'know' my body 'can' be and how it looks at a certain wt.. and honestly with working out ive lost soo mancy inches with the pounds. .. that im down to a size i havent worn in 10yrs..a nd i was 25 pnds less when i wore it!!?!?!?! so ya.. my 'goal wt' is still 'high' for my height/frame...but i know that if i weight what the doctors scale says i should weigh i would be like sick or anerexic perty much... just remember not to let the 'scale rule your life' and goals.. there are inches/size also :glasses:
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    i have mine set for 180 because thats the lowest i remember being in high school. i may go down to 160 after that, but as another poster said, im more concerned with how my body looks than the number on the scale. according to the bmi charts i should weigh like 150 max to be in the healthy range, and i just cant see myself there - but we'll see

bump
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    last time i was really happy with my body i was 85 and superfit. So I'm going for 80, because you might as well have an aggressive goal - shoot for the moon and even if you miss you're still amongst the stars and all that
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I determined it by how good I look and feel. At 150 I looked and felt pretty good, but I knew I wanted to do a little more. My goal is somewhere between 130-145, I'll know I'm there when I get there.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've set mine for 150 because the smallest I was 10 years ago was 147 and I was thin then. I'm 161 now and wearing most of the clothes I kept from then, so I figure at 150 I will fit into everything and also have a nice body fat percentage. I didn't use to strength train or eat enough back then, so I will look much better at 35 than I did at 25!
  • susheetush
    susheetush Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I looked best in my clothes at a BMI of 23, where I pretty much was for 3 years. I got down to a BMI of 21 but I personally thought that was too low, as I lost the curves I actually quite like on my body normally.

I actually am not unhappy now at a BMI of 26, but I can't fit into the clothes I had collected over the 3 years that my weight was stable, and that's not acceptable to me. And I'm not nearly as fit as I used to be, so I've decided to do something about it.