road map

who knows more than me please need a little helping hand, i worked mine out to be 1800 cal roughly i do not eat my calories back i get that but i got told not to go under my BMR so if i do not eat my calories back ill be only netting 1300 cal and this will be under my BMR is this right?? my bmr is 1600 im confused

Replies

• WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    It can definitely be confusing for sure! If your BMR is 1600 and tdee is 1800, your goal (not net) should be somewhere in between those 2 numbers. Your tdee has taken your activity into account already so you don't need to log it or you can log but just enter 1 in for calories burned.

ETA: what is your goal, to lose weight, maintain or gain?
  • hayles333
    hayles333 Posts: 105 Member
    I don't profess to be an expert (just starting on the IPOARM stuff myself), but I found this blog post to be super helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lillebanon/view/my-take-on-eating-more-to-weigh-less-254554

It suggests that you should eat back exercise calories only if you net less than you BMR that day (so that you never net less than BMR).
  • lina011
    lina011 Posts: 427 Member
    id like to lose but im confused by the whole BMR and road map calories, ok so im 154 pounds 67.7 inches tall id like to be 132 pounds and i have atm 18 % body fat i got this calculated at the gym my answers are BMR is 1607 and im moderately active so this 2209 cal pe rday and if i minus 20% of this i get roughly 1800 cal and then if i do not eat back my exercise cal i get roughly 1300 net a day under my BMR ?? i should be higher or cos i wanna loose wieight it should be under my BMR??
  • t2kburl
    t2kburl Posts: 123 Member
    Your "moderately active" modifier takes your exercise into account. You do not log exercise calories using this method. The purpose is that you eat 1600-1800 roughly per day. There is no net, really because everything you eat is still in the net since there are no deductions.
    Eat 1800 every day.
    Keep up your workouts to maintain that moderate activity level.
    Do not log any calorie burns in MFP. Intake only.
    Adjust calories if needed maybe monthly if your weight is not changing how you want.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    id like to lose but im confused by the whole BMR and road map calories, ok so im 154 pounds 67.7 inches tall id like to be 132 pounds and i have atm 18 % body fat i got this calculated at the gym my answers are BMR is 1607 and im moderately active so this 2209 cal pe rday and if i minus 20% of this i get roughly 1800 cal and then if i do not eat back my exercise cal i get roughly 1300 net a day under my BMR ?? i should be higher or cos i wanna loose wieight it should be under my BMR??

The only time you would eat back your calories is if you set up MFP as 'sedentary'. If you are using the roadmap method, your activity is figured in so your goal calories are your net, you don't log in exercise. Set your goal to 1800 and eat that for a couple weeks. If you gain weight, cut back a bit more, if you lose, you've found the right number for you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

With only 20 lbs left to lose, and BF% really good already, your deficit should only be 15% max, getting closer to 10%.

Your body is going to want more than 18% BF, so that is going to be a hard fight to not lose muscle mass, you have very narrow window for error.

You eat your deficit amount daily, planned workout or not.

Now, miss an hr workout, skip 100 calories that day. Make it up, add 100 calories that day. Totally add an unplanned workout, eat the calories minus 15% back.

I'd suggest don't worry about the net BMR thing, as long as daily you spot check and aren't constantly under by 300 calories, in which case you selected the wrong TDEE level.
    But 100 under on heavy day made up by 300 over on rest day with 100 over on easy day, ect. Balance within any 48 hr time period is probably obtained anyway.