diet soda's

Options
http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthieryou/371/skip-the-diet-soda/

Get ready to ditch your soda habit. I’m kicking Diet Coke — it takes time, and I’m down to five a week from a high of 12, but it’s worth it.

Here’s why: Recent research has shown that artificial sweeteners in soda may interfere with your body’s ability to estimate how many calories you’ve ingested, so you eat more than you need.

In a new rat study, animals that ate fake sugar consumed more calories overall and gained weight, compared to those that didn’t eat artificially sweetened treats.

This is just one study, but it’s enough to make me want to kick the can habit. Need more convincing? For every diet soda you sip daily, your risk of becoming overweight can rise by 37 percent, according to researchers at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio.

We also know that regular soda is a total sugar bomb — most people I know gave it up long ago. At roughly 225 calories a pop, a 20-ounce bottle of regular soda packs nearly as many calories as a chocolate bar (but is much less satisfying).

Typically, soda also contains zero nutrients — so who needs it? Still have some soda around? Fine, stow it for guests who haven’t decided to quit. Next time you want a fizz hit, try seltzer with lime (or for a caffeine fix, green tea). What are your favorite low-cal soda substitutes?

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    http://health.yahoo.com/experts/healthieryou/371/skip-the-diet-soda/

Get ready to ditch your soda habit. I’m kicking Diet Coke — it takes time, and I’m down to five a week from a high of 12, but it’s worth it.

Here’s why: Recent research has shown that artificial sweeteners in soda may interfere with your body’s ability to estimate how many calories you’ve ingested, so you eat more than you need.

In a new rat study, animals that ate fake sugar consumed more calories overall and gained weight, compared to those that didn’t eat artificially sweetened treats.

This is just one study, but it’s enough to make me want to kick the can habit. Need more convincing? For every diet soda you sip daily, your risk of becoming overweight can rise by 37 percent, according to researchers at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio.

We also know that regular soda is a total sugar bomb — most people I know gave it up long ago. At roughly 225 calories a pop, a 20-ounce bottle of regular soda packs nearly as many calories as a chocolate bar (but is much less satisfying).

Typically, soda also contains zero nutrients — so who needs it? Still have some soda around? Fine, stow it for guests who haven’t decided to quit. Next time you want a fizz hit, try seltzer with lime (or for a caffeine fix, green tea). What are your favorite low-cal soda substitutes?
  • jraatz
    jraatz Posts: 4
    Options
    I read that somewhere also. I gave it up in January and I no longer have cravings for any food in particular. When I drank soda every day I was always hungry and craving food after a soda, now I don't have that constant battle. I drink iced tea with Splenda or water or Propel water or Dasini flavored waters. I also think that eating 5 small meals per day keeps my blood sugar levels constant so I can stick to my plan and remain satisfied. Stick with it, you'll be free in no time. :flowerforyou:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    what will I do with out my diet chocolate cherry dr pepper?? I don't drink a lot of it, but every now and then I have a sweet taste craving.
  • plantlady99
    plantlady99 Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I know the last time I tried to loose weight I did fine until I started drinking diet soda’s . When I drank it I always seemed to be hungry. So when I heard of the research I just quite and started on juice. Now I drink one cup of black coffee and the rest of the day its water. I don’t have the cravings I use to have. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • wtchywmn
    wtchywmn Posts: 193
    Options
    I gave up soda cold turkey on January 1st. It was hard the first two weeks, now I don't even miss it.:drinker:
  • alimac1972
    Options
    I heard the same thing about diet soda. I gave up diet pepsi for lent and after the struggle I've decided not to go back to it. My husband also reduced his intake and only has one every so often. Best thing we could have done, and saving a buck while we're at it!

Favorite drink with a kick---Market Pantry wild cherry sparkling water (sold at target). I think Walmart has a similar water. Still has artificial sugar but it's not addicting like soda, so one every so often helps with soda cravings. Mixed with sugar-free kool-aid taste like a punch!
  • ltalakai277
    ltalakai277 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I LOVE soda. Especially with fry chicken! I quit Soda 3 months ago. I gave up fried chicken last month. Now....water and baked chicken and I love it!