Eggs and fish!? YUCK!

Options
Since I was really small, I have always hated fish and eggs. This stems from my parents making me sit at the table to eat my fried eggs when they were cold for hours, and it really upset me, and finding skin on my fish as a kid. Now, I can't eat anything which is obviously eggy - omelette, scrambled, boiled, poached, even quiche. And I won't even touch sea food. This includes TUNA (last time I checked, yes, tuna is a fish, and it astounds me when I say I don't eat fish and people ask if I eat tuna...), prawns, anything that comes from the sea.

My issue is that many healthy eating guides, or recipes include A LOT of fish and eggs. Tuna steaks on a bed of leaves, or scrambled eggs three times a day (I'm looking at you, Commando Diet..) These are the things which I feel are really holding me back from making the most of a healthy eating plan.

I think I'm pretty much a lost cause where these foods are concerned. The thought of eating them makes me feel really unhappy.

What are suitable alternatives to these? There is only so much room for chicken and turkey, so it would be nice to switch things out a bit with something else...

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i'm ridiculously allergic to seafood and only have eggs occasionally. are you looking for protein replacements? lean pork, beef, lamb, venison are all fine. I get protein from dairy. Nuts are proteiny i think too?

I dunno. I'm healthy and happy with my no-stuff-from-the-ocean-with-flesh diet :)
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    What, are you looking for protein sources, or - judging by how fish and eggs have been ruled out - protein and fat sources?

If the latter, red meat is great: some ground beef/lamb or steak is high in protein with a good deal of healthy fats to boot.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I'm not rich enough to eat what I need without eggs and cheap fish.

If you are, then by all means- have steak every night!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Eat the things you like.

You don't need to eat eggs or fish if you don't want to.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat the things you like.

^^yep
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    It's funny how so many of our food hates come from childhood experiences but last lifelong. I have never been able to eat offal since the overcooked dried out muck we were fed for school dinners.
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want.

Just don't make excuses that you 'can't eat it' because something happened when you were a kid. Be an adult and say you don't like them.
  • JustinSLawler
    JustinSLawler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Since I was really small, I have always hated fish and eggs. This stems from my parents making me sit at the table to eat my fried eggs when they were cold for hours, and it really upset me, and finding skin on my fish as a kid. Now, I can't eat anything which is obviously eggy - omelette, scrambled, boiled, poached, even quiche. And I won't even touch sea food. This includes TUNA (last time I checked, yes, tuna is a fish, and it astounds me when I say I don't eat fish and people ask if I eat tuna...), prawns, anything that comes from the sea.

My issue is that many healthy eating guides, or recipes include A LOT of fish and eggs. Tuna steaks on a bed of leaves, or scrambled eggs three times a day (I'm looking at you, Commando Diet..) These are the things which I feel are really holding me back from making the most of a healthy eating plan.

I think I'm pretty much a lost cause where these foods are concerned. The thought of eating them makes me feel really unhappy.

What are suitable alternatives to these? There is only so much room for chicken and turkey, so it would be nice to switch things out a bit with something else...

Hi Lulzaroonie,

I was plagued by this for quite a while as well and understand how hard it can be to find sources of protein in foods that you actually like.

I'm going to label a few for you, I realise you've stated a couple of these, but I'll do it anyway.

These are averages, obviously check the package.
    Cottage Cheese: 32g Protein per 100g
    Lean Beef & Veal: 36g Protein per 100g
    Tofu: 7g Protein per 100g
    Green Beans: 17g Protein per 100g
    Yogurt/Milk/Soy: 6g Protein per 100g
    Seeds (Pumpkin, Squash, Watermelon, Peanuts, Almonds): 33g Protein per 100g

Nutrient Dense Proteins
    Sprulina: 58g Protein per 100g
    Parmesan: 42g Protein per 100g
    Dry Roasted Soy Beans: 40g Protein per 100g
    As well as the proteins above.

If that list doesn't fulfil you, you can always look in to isolates (I'm not just talking about protein powders), such as unsweetened Dry Gelatin.

I hope this list helped, if you want to know more, you know where to find me.

Justin
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Just don't make excuses that you 'can't eat it' because something happened when you were a kid. Be an adult and say you don't like them.

Obviously I say that I don't like them now, I'm just giving a reason as to why I don't like to eat them. So I don't think I'm being childish in my reasoning at all.

Thanks to everyone else who have been really helpful :)
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eat the things you like.

^^yep

x3

Avocados, pumpkin seeds, and walnuts are a great source of omega fats. Fish in your diet isn't necessary. Also you can supplement if you want to go down that route.

As for the egg . . . I really don't understand how you don't like them, but there are plenty of other sources of complete protein out there.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    canned tuna is MIFF , only thing i dont eat .
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I take it you are asking for alternative fat and protein sources?

Any type of meat
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Avocado
    Nuts
    Peanut butter

Homemade protein bars are also a good option; very easy to make, cheaper and healthier than shop alternatives and an easy way to bump up your protein intake.
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My husband is the pickiest eater ever and her doesn't eat any type of seafood and although he likes eggs, he doesn't eat them on a regular basis. We make our own protien bars with oatmeal, protien powder, greek yogurt and other ingridients. He eats a chicken salad for lunch and greek yogurt. I believe he drinks a protein shake in there as well. As for protein for dinner we either have chicken, ground turkey, or beef. There are plenty of ways to get your protien other than eggs and seafood. Good luck. :)
  • biggestloser90
    biggestloser90 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump..I absolutely hate eggs and seafood too! LOL I will not eat them EVER haha
  • jjscholar
    jjscholar Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If you like, there are reasonable alternatives to fish and seafood. Beans, nuts, peanut butter, and almond butter are reasonable sources of protein... So are veggie burgers...

Not everyone likes everything. As much as you feel YUCK about fish and seafood, that is the way I feel about greasy fast food such as McDonalds... On the other hand, I have to admit that my aversion to fast food had been because I almost let that stuff kill me back in 2011...