Zumba question

Options
mazdauk
mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
I'm supposed to be starting Zumba with my firend (either tonight or next Monday) - how many calories should I be logging for an hour class?

And does anyone have any tips?

Thanks!

Replies

• Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight/height and how much effort you put into it. You can google "zumba calories" and find some site that can tell you calories burned depending on your weight etc.
    I usually put 400 or 500.

And for tips... I don't know... Just enjoy it, it should be fun :) if you can't catch all moves, try to catch legs first, than arms. After 2-3 classes you'll remember it. Good luck :D
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It can vary. I've logged anywhere from low 500s to mid to high 600s. I find that my calorie burn is lower when I am learning a new routine (new instructor/class) compared to when I know most of the moves. I use a heart rate monitor to find out my calorie burn though. I got mine off ebay, it's the Polar FT4 and it was pretty reasonably priced since it isn't the latest model. It was definitely worth the investment as it takes into account, your height and weight as well as your heart rate when it calculates how many calories you burnt in the time period specified.

As for Zumba tips, I say have fun, give it a few classes and try different instructors. They say it takes a few classes before you get really comfortable with the routine, but it is worth it. I have a couple instructors who are my favourites and their classes are so much fun that it doesn't end up feeling like exercise. Each instructor is different, so if you don't like one class try another instructor.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    500 calories burned from zumba sounds like a lot. I would have guessed about half that.
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It depends on your weight/height and how much effort you put into it. You can google "zumba calories" and find some site that can tell you calories burned depending on your weight etc.
    I usually put 400 or 500.

And for tips... I don't know... Just enjoy it, it should be fun :) if you can't catch all moves, try to catch legs first, than arms. After 2-3 classes you'll remember it. Good luck :D

That sounds like a lot. I would have guessed about half that. I know because I used to do cardio and zumba didn't feel as physically demanding.

I burn on avg abt 580-600 calories per 60 min session. A few others I know burn mid to high 600s - and they have HRMs as well. It depends on the intensity of your moves and the routines. In the classes I go to, they normally show us high intensity options as well as low intensity options.
  • Missklara
    Missklara Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Well, i burn 200-250 calories on power yoga, and afteer zumba i'm all sweaty and exhausted so i guess it depends on instructor and how hard the moves are
  • LilacSnow
    LilacSnow Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    ya, zumba burns a lot of calories. i find i can go on a treadmill or elliptical for over an hour but i'm in pretty good shape after it, but with an intense zumba class, i'm dead after 60.
  • Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    eh I guess my internal calorie counter is wrong then haha.
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would check your heart rate, if possible, between songs then average your numbers and use a heart rate into calories burned to calculate. There are several websites that you can go on to use the calculator. I compare the figure to 'high impact aerobics' to see if there's much of a difference. They're usually very close numbers (today the difference was 3 kcals). I'm doing this until i can afford a heart rate monitor. I usually burn 450-600. Can't wait till i have a polar to really know. I am using a heart rate monitor app on my phone, it works very well, just looks silly in class I'm sure, but i just go off to the side like I'm toweling/getting water ;) for anyone considering zumba, stick with it, YOU WILL get the moves eventually ;) i would everyday (live classes) if i could afford to.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    It can vary. I've logged anywhere from low 500s to mid to high 600s. I find that my calorie burn is lower when I am learning a new routine (new instructor/class) compared to when I know most of the moves. I use a heart rate monitor to find out my calorie burn though. I got mine off ebay, it's the Polar FT4 and it was pretty reasonably priced since it isn't the latest model. It was definitely worth the investment as it takes into account, your height and weight as well as your heart rate when it calculates how many calories you burnt in the time period specified.

As for Zumba tips, I say have fun, give it a few classes and try different instructors. They say it takes a few classes before you get really comfortable with the routine, but it is worth it. I have a couple instructors who are my favourites and their classes are so much fun that it doesn't end up feeling like exercise. Each instructor is different, so if you don't like one class try another instructor.

I use this same hrm and i normally get a reading anywhere between 350-425 at my classes.
  • Lucendiluna
    Lucendiluna Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I might start a class next week too, so I'll be following this thread!
  • zumbajheri
    zumbajheri Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The instructor makes a huge difference. I have tried a few, and one kicks my butt, the other was meh and i never went back to his class and barely sweat. I have heard the zumba calories inflates kcals burned, on the boards.
  • toimisaki
    toimisaki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It really depends on how much energy you put into it. Zumba is so much fun especially when the music is great. One lady wears a pedometer to the class I teach, and it usually reads about 5000 steps for one class, but those certainly aren't your average strolling-walking steps. You have to really know the moves to get the upper body into full swing. I remember from my old aerobics days (30 years ago) that if your arms are up and moving, you expend a lot more energy than if they are down by your sides hanging there.
    Even so, the calorie burn is only a guess. I enter 600 for a class where I finish in a total sweat with a red face and I know my pulse has had racing intervals. And as low as 400 when I have my older group and things are slowed down a bit.
  • sassy_sandi
    sassy_sandi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I started a Zumba class a few months ago and I love it. I am 60 and have NO natural dancing abilities and when they go right, I go left but I just keep going and have so much fun. The first time I went I thought the hour would NEVER end but now I really enjoy it and think it is a great way to burn some calories with a smile on your face. I'll be following this also to see what everyone else is saying! Go Zumba!1
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As a lot of people already mentioned, your best estimate is going to come from a heart rate monitor. If you don't have one you could try this site:
    http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned
    It gives an estimate based on weight, duration, and intensity, but doesn't factor in your age or height. My guess is if you're new and still learning the steps, you will want to choose "low" intensity--if you are older maybe choose a value even a little lower than that.

Maybe try out different instructors and find one that is the right fit in terms of energy & intensity for you! My favorite instructor incorporates a song with weights (for arms), some standing ab moves (and a voluntary stay late & do more abs song), a song of all squats/butt/legs, and a pretty high level of cardio... it's tough, but I love it! With zumba you can get good results if you put in a good effort. It's pretty crazy to see some of the ladies from class shrinking little by little, week by week :-) Good luck to you!

edited to add: Tips for your first class... Stand where you can see the instructors feet! Try to follow the steps first & add arms later. Most instructors are really good about giving hand signals (or verbal cues) as to the direction you'll be moving next, or hold up fingers as to how many repetitions of a step you'll be doing. It took me 2 weeks to realize that's what she was doing... I was totally the goober in the back of the class copying her hand signals. Also... wear comfy sneakers & bring water!
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Im going to say it will depend on what type of zumba class you are doing ?? tone or just zumba ? you will lose more doing zumba than tone.

tips dont worry about looking silly, take plenty of water and go pee pee before the class starts.
  • Lyndseed
    Lyndseed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    eh I guess my internal calorie counter is wrong then haha.

Maybe not, maybe that instructor's choreography just didn't incorporate a lot of very high intensity moves. It varies A LOT...
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    According to my HRM, i burn over 600 in most classes. I would suggest getting a HRM, so then you have a better estimate of how much you are burning rather than going off of what other people burn.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all this!

Its goint ot be next week now (BFF's daft husband has his birthday today and has decided he'd rather spend a nice evening with his wife than go out with his mates.:grumble: ) I've done tap and aerobics (not at the same time) so I'm quite quick at picking up routines. I may need a break in the middle for the loo!:ohwell:
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I usually wear my HRM when I do Zumba. It all depends on how hard you push yourself and the instructors choreography. I've burned anywhere from 600cals to 800cals depending on how hard the routine is.
  • Lovebears99
    Lovebears99 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am 5-4 and about 210 pounds, my hrm says anywhere from 8-900 cals, per 60 min live class. My instructor is pretty intense, there are no breaks between songs, and i only stop to down a little water and right back into it. My sister also has an hrm she is only about `140 5'6 hers says she burns between 5 and 600 a class. So it all depends on weight, and activity level. As far as advise, just don't give up, at first you may not be able to keep up, if something is challenging, just try to keep your feet moving! My instructor suggested to mainly focus on the foot moves at first. Most of our songs have a pattern of movement in them, left right left left. It will take a few classes to get the hang of it, but once you do it is an awesome way to release stress!!! I am able to go to class, forget about a horrible day and walk out of there smiling! Also drink lots of water, to stay hydrated, you will def work up a sweat once you get used to it and stay moving. But the best advise is just have fun :happy: