weight training suggestions please

Options
I started in February with changing myself and so far I have done pretty good. I am making better choices with my foods. I work out a least 5 days a week at the gym, I rollerblade on days I don't. My work outs only include cardio though and I know I need to add some weight training for my muscles. I have tried Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and The biggest loser last chance workout. The 30 day doesn't really seem to do to much, 20 minutes just doesn't seem to be enough time to make a difference. The biggest loser one does good, but is soooo repetitive.

So here is where my questions come in. I have no idea what to do! I see all of this equipment at the gym and don't know which ones would be good to use and how many reps with what weights, etc. I have looked online for some pre-made exercise plans and haven't been successful. Does any one have any suggestions, what do you do?

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    What gym do you go to? Most will offer an orientation session where they will show you how to use the equipment. Many gyms also have a circuit set up (a bunch of weight training machines you do in order) with the equipment numbered. Most circuits take 20-35mins to complete. I found this was a great place to start when I was new to weight training. Just make sure you are putting on enough weight to fatigue your muscles.
  • sweetbn
    sweetbn Posts: 318
    Options
    I sort of go around and do every machine (then again, my "gym" only has 10 or so).

I would say either 1) try out the machines that look less confusing (or watch others do them first). or 2) see if your gym offers personal trainers. Many of the gyms I have belonged to in the past offer one free session- that could be good enough for them to show you how to use each one. Or, if you have to pay for a few sessions, it might be worth it to be able to use all the machines correctly.

Good luck!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    A good way to start weight training is to focus on your main muscle groups and avoid getting overwhelmed with all of the machines. I always start with chest/back and quads/hamstrings in that order and pairing by doing bench press (or the comparable bench press machine) followed by a rowing like machine that works the upper back/shoulder area. I do 3 sets of 10-15 alternating between bench and back. Then I will do leg press alternated with the squat assisted rack (or machine). Last, I do bicep curls and tricep extensions with free weights and finally the calf machine. This covers all of the main muscle groups and is balanced between complementary groups (chest/back, quad/hamstrings, bicepts/tris,). When you walk into the weight lifting area just head for which ever group you want to work on and have a plan as to what machines you are planning to do and in what order. Hope this helps :-)
  • pearlyfatcat
    pearlyfatcat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Katwood, the gym I go to is a 24 hour gym, you have a key card to open the door and 80 percent of the time the staff isn't there. Also a big part of it is, I am intimidated by the trainers and don't ask! How ridiculous is that?! I will look and see next time if there is a circuit set up!

I may suck it up and ask Sweetbn!

Cass, Thanks for the detailed advice! It is very overwhelming with all the machines! I hate not knowing how to do something! I like the big muscles suggestion!

Thank you all so much!