SWEET POTATO IDEAS PLEASE

Options
Amellej
Amellej Posts: 197 Member
Hey everyone

I usually make fries or wedges with them but I would love to try something new, any ideas?

Replies

• YuckMoutH28
    Options
    Cinnamon/coconut oil
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Baked in their skin, or boiled and mashed. Also great in soup!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been making soup using sweet potato, but you could pretty much use them how you would use any regular potato. Recently I saw an idea for "loaded" baked potato using sweet potato. Sometimes I will bake a couple on the weekend and then use them in salads throughout the week.
  • amyjax
    amyjax Posts: 102
    Options
    Boil sweet potato with a clove or two of garlic, drain the water and mash the potato and garlic together - delicious!
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I made this for lunch last Saturday: Sweet Potato Hash with Fried Eggs by nomnompaleo.com. Loved it.

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and coolwhip with a dash of cinnamon
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato mash.
    Sweet potato chips (fries for our USA friends)
    I love sweet potato curry.
    Roasted sweet potato.

There are some nice recipes on here http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20600272,00.html
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You've got to make some substitutions to lighten it up (and keep in mind the recipe serves 12, so most people need to cut that down), but I like this recipe as a base: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/11/swiss-chard-and-sweet-potato-gratin/

I like it because it's super flavorful and a comfort food, but you're still getting tons of nutrition. My husband, however, does not like it - the flavor is strong so if you don't care for chard or sweet potatoes you probably won't like it, but I really enjoy it.
  • ewies84
    ewies84 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like to make a hash with cubed sweet potato, onions, steak or bacon, and eggs - serve with salsa. Or, I like to take cubed sweet potato with onion and beets, toss in olive/coconut oil and season with garlic powder and s/p, roast and serve with rough chopped cilantro.
  • kerrylee54
    Options
    Baked sweet potato - cinnamon and nutmeg - berries - nut butter. Makes a yummy breakfast treat!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I just love them plain. I was shocked at how creamy a sweet potato baked in the oven was compared to one baked in the microwave. Love to take them with me as a healthy snack in their skins. Cold even!
  • cherrytm
    cherrytm Posts: 13
    Options
    Sweet potato smoothie: blend sweet potato with cinnamon, a little milk (i use coconut milk), vanilla yogurt, honey, ripe banana, and ice. tastes like pumpkin pie!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Slice them up with the skin on them and cook them on the stove with brown sugar on them and butter while its cooking :) mmmmmmmmm..
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    slice thin put a little oil on and bake till crispy. Dip in guac..

(I'm not a sweet potato lover so I have to turn them into something else and then disgusie the flavor lol.. reallly don't like them with sugar and marshmallows added.. way to sweet!)
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    ummm... this could be the death of me right here.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Cut into wedges. Roast for a bit at about 300 (say 20 minutes) then jack up the heat to get them crispy.

Salt them as soon as they come out of the oven and serve them with mayonnaise (add a bit of miso to the mayonnaise if you really want it to be divine.)

Enjoy!
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I love them cut up and cooked with eggs and onion for a breakfast scramble.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Twice baked with chipotle and bacon
  • pullem
    pullem Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is how I'm eating mine this week

Chipotle Sweet Potato Mash
    Serves 6
    143 Calories, 4g Protein, 30g Carbs, 1g Fat per serving

40g Red Onion
    100g Sliced mixed peppers
    100g sweetcorn
    ½ can drained Adzuki beans (any beans/legumes are fine)
    1 dried chipotle chilli
    5g mild chilli powder
    600g sweet potato

Cook the beans according to the instructions.
    Oven bake the sweet potato at 200°C for around 40 minutes until softened, then remove skin and mash.
    Pre soak the chipotle chilli for 10-15 minutes until softened.
    Place the red onion, peppers, corn, chilli powder, chipotle chilli and beans into a saucepan and gently heat through until peppers and onion softened, add the sweet potato mash and combine ingredients together.
  • raychulj
    raychulj Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    ummm... this could be the death of me right here.
    Lol its so good! Proceed with caution.