It's not your weight - it's your waist

Options
Hello Everyone -

I've read a lot of posts of folks trying to lose weight for one life event or another or trying to get in to bathing suit shape. This may seem counter intuitive to you but it's not about the weight - it's about your waist to height ratio and other relevant numbers. I know what your saying " It is TOTALLY ABOUT THE WEIGHT!" My reason - if you workout or begin working out regularly you will begin to build muscle mass. Muscle weighs and is more dense than fat. So you can actually workout, be getting in better physical and cardiovascular shape and remain the same weight. The difference is that your clothes will fit better, you'll feel better and you'll look better because you've replaced the fat with lean muscle mass. Please don't live and die by the scale - you'll be doing yourself a disservice from all your hard work by concentrating on one number instead of the most important numbers - waist height ratio, resting heart rate, LDL & HDL count, blood pressure and bmr.

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Well said , weight means nothing ... i weighed what i weighed now when i was in my teens and i was FAT!
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    i've seen so many people do more harm than good by obsessing over numbers.
    i use two measurements. 1, how fit i feel. 2, how good i look naked.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    2, how good i look naked.

If I go by that I'll NEVER be "done" no matter how fit I feel LOL. I already have a flap and jiggly belly, that's going to translate into loose, floppy skin later on and I'm sorry but that doesn't look good on anyone!
  • judith0622
    judith0622 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Well said
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Whilst I agree with what is being said, I exercise regular and still my stomach and waist do not want to tighten up
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    2, how good i look naked.

If I go by that I'll NEVER be "done" no matter how fit I feel LOL. I already have a flap and jiggly belly, that's going to translate into loose, floppy skin later on and I'm sorry but that doesn't look good on anyone!
    my youngest kid was almost 11 pounds and, yes, i have mom belly.
    does that mean i don't look good naked? hell no! i look great naked!
    stretch marks and scars just show the places i've been and they are NOTHING to be ashamed of.
  • marcsgoal
    marcsgoal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cheryltak,

Unfortunately, that can be a challenge - to tighten up areas that are tough to tighten. With regard to the waist/height ratio be sure you are measuring from your belly button and around in an even circle. Chances are, though your stomach may not be as tight as you would like, you have lost excess fat around your midsection as the weight has and will continue to come off. There are some great free videos on you tube to help replace that lost fat around your midsection with nice lean muscle with varying duration and intensity. Maybe try 2-3 and find one that best fits your needs and time. Like anything, be sure it challenges you enough to stick with it no less than 30 days but not so much you get discouraged or hurt.

Be well!
    Marc
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Well said.
    Im just going until I get to where i feel good and feel fit :-) x
  • JennNH12
    JennNH12 Posts: 56
    Options
    Words to live by! I love it! At 5'2" the best I have looked (since giving birth to elephant like children) and felt was at 152lbs. Sounds like a lot of weight for my height, but I am strong, and carry a lot of muscle. If I weighed what the "experts" and charts say I should at my height I would have NO MUSCLE and probably feel pretty weak. It has never been feeling thin that gives me my kicks, it has always been feeling and looking strong and healthy.