when should i start hitting the weights?

Options
lausa22
lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
I'm restarting my weight loss after about 2 years of gaining and losing the same 20lbs.
I currently weigh 180lbs.
I've joined a gym with my boyfriend and I've only been doing cardio, no strength or weights involved.

I know that weights and strength training helps build muscle and muscle helps burn fat, but how early on should I start putting weights in my routine?
should I wait until I lose enough weight to actually tone? Or should I start now?
I'm just worried that starting now will make me more bulkier than what I want.

Replies

• jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options
    I would start incorporating it into your routine now! Not sure how many days you go to the gym but try doing weights 2-3 days a week starting out.

Strength training will NOT make you bulky. You simply do not have enough testosterone. It will make you tighter and more lean.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Asap
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do it now. I regret not lifting heavy early on. I am now working on changing my "skinny fat" appearance, and it's endlessly frustrating me.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a time machine and can start yesterday, start next time you go to the gym.

And if you do have a time machine, can I borrow it? I didn't start real strength training until I was at my goal weight, and wish I started sooner. It would have been nice to have, for instance, nicely rounded glutes as I lost weight, rather than go through that flat droopy bum phase and have to build it back up again. :smile:
  • lausa22
    lausa22 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Okay!!
    im. Actually off to the gym now, I go 3 plus times a week depending on how I feel. Minimum of 3 times though.
    I was worried if I started now id stay a 'big' girl, but I'll start now to avoid skinny-fat haha
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Today.
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So, right,
  • mayflowermn
    mayflowermn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    ASAP !!!

You won't regret it! And you will not get BULKY !!!

For me, lifting is simply awesome because:

1. it allows me to have more calories (yay, more food for the food addict here! :)
    2. makes my body more efficient at burning calories even when it is at rest so you will lose weight faster
    3. my body looks firm and not squishy (even noticed my butt and legs have lost that dimply awful cellulite look! yay!)
    4. it is an ego boost seeing what I can lift
    5. I can lift things at home on my own instead of waiting for help
    6. it just makes me feel good!
    7. it's just AWESOME!

Now get out and do some lifting girl!
  • vikkistarr89
    vikkistarr89 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    So right, I am constantly told that i should be Cardio only, or atleast 90% cardio 10% strength training, is that not the case?
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Today.

^^This.

If your gym offers personal trainers, it is worth it to spend a few bucks for sessions. A trainer can get you kick started in a smart routine.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Asap
    x2
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yesterday...
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Options
    Unless you have a time machine and can start yesterday, start next time you go to the gym.

And if you do have a time machine, can I borrow it? I didn't start real strength training until I was at my goal weight, and wish I started sooner. It would have been nice to have, for instance, nicely rounded glutes as I lost weight, rather than go through that flat droopy bum phase and have to build it back up again. :smile:

Exactly, i did the same thing. Do it now!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your program.

Trust a person who lost muscle mass and has been on a "bulk" to try to develop it back. It is harder than anything I've ever tried to put muscle BACK on my body.

I've been at it seriously since November, have made good strength gains, great visible gains in my chest wall and delts, but we are talking parts of a centimeter, not serious mass. It's much better to never lose it in the first place.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    So right, I am constantly told that i should be Cardio only, or atleast 90% cardio 10% strength training, is that not the case?

If that's what you're being told, you're being told wrong.

I do about equal parts both. Cardio 3x a week, weights 3x a week.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    My only regret is not starting in the beginning. I started 4 months ago after losing weight over the past year. I was not truly happy with my overall "skinny fat" look. My advice is start now.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Now
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Start already
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    Please, for the love of all things holy, stop worrying about "getting bulky"...women are afraid of all the wrong things!! You don't wait until you're in shape to lift weights...lifting weights is what GETS you in shape. START.... NOW....TODAY....and never stop.

mfp41_zps17504c89.jpg
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

very much so, skinny people are toned people, women especially, it takes hardcore weight training for a woman to look stacked compared to a man, if you look at woman who do amature body building, while ripped when flexed, they barely look like they've got any muscles on them when not flexed, go for it!