Disappointed?

Options
Have you ever been disappointed with yourself? Currently I am feeling that way. I have been on again and off again with my weightloss. I haven't gained a tremendous amount, maybe a few pounds. I've been successful with keeping almost 30lbs off over the course of a few years. However, each time I get set to finish the last 10-15 pounds I fall off my routine. I become "too busy" or just become "lazy". Then I look at others around me who kept with their routines and look at how amazing they look and then I start to feel disappointed in myself. Yesterday I tried on dresses and felt "overweight". I shouldn't as the dresses were a size 6. I am a 5'2'' curvy gal at 140 pounds. I want to be 125 pounds and I know I can get there and need to get there. I need to get over this major hurdle and push forward. It is the beginning of March and my family will be going to the beach in June and I want that bikini. Each time I've set myself up to work towards a goal of looking and feeling fantastic, I've fallen off and then when that event comes up I beat myself up pretty bad. I guess I am reaching out for encouragement from those of you who read this. Thank you all in advance.

Replies

• xtravisfx
    xtravisfx Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I know the frustration, though I still have 50 to go fo to get to where I want to be. You can do it! One day at a time, one meal at a time.
  • LaDonnaF
    LaDonnaF Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing and keeping off that 30lbs! That is a big accomplishment.

I feel like the trick is finding the perfect balance between clean eating, not so clean eating, and exercise. You'll get there!
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I do the same thing and it gets really frustrating. But the good news is that you can change it. Keep up your good habits and don't let excuses get in your way and you WILL reach your goal.
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    Hey we've all been there. Just have to dust yourself off and tell yourself you can do this! Been stuck at the last 10 lbs for almost 2 months now but I'm pushing on!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    set your goal to 15 lbs less than your actual goal. maybe you can trick yourself into stopping at your actual goal.
  • deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. Most of us have delt with the same issues regarding fitness and healthy eating. We know what we have to do, but somehow we can not get ourselves into the routine.

The most important thing I did for myself is to make myself a priority. I work full time, weird hours, have a husband who needs assistance, 2 children, house, dogs etc. I found myself so exhausted at the end of the day that there was no way I was going to exercise and spend time fixing healthier meals. What I found though is that if I woke up a few minutes earlier while everyone was alseep, I could get up, exercise, and plan out my dinner for the evening. If I have my main dish defrosted and in the frig, im less likely to go against that when it comes time to fix it at night. Now this has become a habit instead of my old way.

None of us can promise you that we do not have bad days or even bad weeks. What is important is we get up the next morning with a fresh start and try out best that day.

MFP is a great way to start and a great way to find supportive and motivational people to help us along our journey. You can learn alot from the boards and from the friends you make here. Each of us is on our own journey and on our own program but together we help each other reach the goals we have set for ourselves.

You can do this. You are worth the effort it takes to find the you, you want to be
  • cassiemk85
    cassiemk85 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    NOT AT ALL ALONE....I have a terrible habit of having no problem dropping 20 lbs or so, but the problem is, when I do, I get this mindset like 'Ok I did all this work, I can have a cheeseburger' which in moderation, that is fine, but then it turns into, EVERY day I am like 'I can have these cheetos, this chocolate cake, this that and the other' and then before I know it, I am completely off my wagon. CONGRATS on losing and keeping off the 30 lbs, that is awesome!!! I have over 110 to lose to be healthy, so I have so far to go, so I am trying so hard to win the mental battle I have with myself every day, we can do this!!
  • eAddict
    eAddict Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    The most important thing I did for myself is to make myself a priority.
    THIS!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. All I know to do is pick myself right back up and get on with it. I'm exercising regularly again after a long slump and will keep pushing for that persistent and consistent effort.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Make today the day you put in the effort...just for one day. Repeat tomorrow. Each new day will get you closer to that goal. You already know how you'll feel in a few months if you give in to these feelings and do nothing so start the mindset of "that's not going to happen because I am in control." Good luck in your journey.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    First congrats on the weight you lost and kept off already! That's awesome.

Second, you're gorgeous .. so nothing to be disappointed about there.

Finally, I get what you're saying. I'm coming up on my 3 month mark of going to the gym and generally being healthy. This is usually the point where I stop. I'm a yoyo when it comes to working out. I've ran 2 1/2 marathons and sill hit the gym for a few consecutive months out of the year. But honestly, since being here, I'm motivated to keep going. The diary and tracking what I eat, lift and do really helps me.

Keep going sun. And if you need a little bit of encouragement ... and honesty, feel free to add me.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of shifting your focus from that number on the scale. Instead, set goals around your eating and fitness. Basically if you work on these two, and of course stay within your calories, the weight loss should follow. Eat more fruits and veggies, drink plenty of water, and start strength training to get the physique you're looking for or find other fitness goals to keep challenging yourself.

Also, I can't help but wonder if you're limiting yourself too much in some way. With only 10 pounds to lose, your weekly weight loss goal should only be 1/2 pound per week. This gives your body the adequate nutrition it needs so it's more likely to let go of the fat stores. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein too. The MFP limits are quite low so don't worry about that number going into the red. This will help you to maintain/build lean body mass which will also contribute to that physique you want.

Take body measurements and pictures to keep track of progress instead of the scale.
  • sunshine77081
    Options
    Thank you for the wonderful advice Travis!!
  • sunshine77081
    Options
    Sociopath - my goal is exactly 15 pounds away.
  • tanya7712
    tanya7712 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat and am also 5'2" and 140 pounds. Its frustrating. The last couple of pounds are always the hardest but you can do it. You just have to push yourself. That is what I am trying to do and never give up!

Good luck on your journey!

-Tanya
  • sunshine77081
    Options
    MinnieinMaine - I haven't kept track of anything over the course of a long time. Might fit in 30 min of exercise here and there and do portion control. But then, I'll completely fall off with eating. Not gain a lot...maybe a pound or so but no more than 5lbs. As far as fruits and vegetables...I'd love to but health issues beyond my control limit that. I know as silly as that sounds. More of a stomach and digestive problem. That makes things more of a challenge when it comes to eating. The main goal is more fruits, veggies, and fiber...my body fights me pretty bad with all three of those.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    why are you losing motivation?
    is there any reason, buried in the back of your mind, why you wouldn't want to reach your goals?
    is it really just laziness or is it self sabotage?
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and was down to 126#. My goal was124#. Then I got so lazy. I stayed at #126 for so long and nothing happened despite my hard work and eating right that I just gave up and packed on 18# in about 6 months.

Everyday I work out hard and think how close to my goal was and how I just let myself go because I didn't hit that certain number on the scale, even thought I actually was happy with how I looked. Now I have one pair of jeans that fit me and all those other clothes I bought that are just too tight.

This time I have a goal weight, but I'm just going to focus on how I feel and look more about what the scale says. I feel better when I am exercising and not being lazy, so I am going to focus on fitness.

Good Luck! Having to start working my way down again sucks. One thing I am not going to do this time - toss on a pair of yoga pants because my jeans are too tight - that's what started it all ;)
  • Taybaybay5212
    Options
    Sunshine, congrats on the weight you have already lost!! I started around 144 to lose weight. If you want to lose that 15 pounds, keep the beach in the back of your mind for motivation. Whenever you make up an excuse not to work out, think about how much closer you will be after that one workout. Over eating is a big down fall of mine!! Even if you don't want to work out that day, watch what you eat instead. 15 pounds and that bikini are right around the corner and can be done! Good luck girl!!
  • shirdiana
    shirdiana Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you, it's a struggle almost every day to not let food win the battle! That's why I'm here, I can't do it alone! Thanks for all the input, it all helps!