Upped cals + started lifting = initial weight gain

Options
Hi guys,

I'm one of people who the lost weight by starving themselves & am now trying to eat a bit more after reading numerous eat more to weigh less posts. This week I've been eating around 1500cals per day (exceptions being a 1000cal day where I didn't have time to eat & a 2600cal day but I figure they even each other out) & I've gained 2lb. I have started running again as well as lifting, and even though I KNOW the reasons, it's still disheartening to see on the stupid scale! I feel better in myself-more energy, not constantly thinking about food all day, not snacking etc & even look more toned already, but if any of you could share similar experiences, ending with the weight dropping off, that would be awesome of you :)

xxx

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not lifting, but doing Jillian michaels 30DS and a couple of other full body workouts and I gained 3# the first week despite the rigorous acdtivity and calorie burn. I have since dropped 5#, so it's slowly coming off again
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I also gained when I upped my calories to 1520.. BUT I did lose it after about 2.5 weeks. I think it just takes a little bit of time to recalibrate your bod :)
  • sailorsgirl86
    Options
    Hey girl! I also gained when I upped my calories to 1520.. BUT I did lose it after about 2.5 weeks. I think it just takes a little bit of time to recalibrate your bod :)

Are you eating 1520 + exercise cals or eating 1520 per day regardless of exercise?

Thanks guys :)
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Just because your weight has gotten higher is not necessarily a bad thing. Gaining muscle is a good sign and in the long run will burn more calories just by having it. I know it can be discouraging to see the scale go up but I would suggest taking other measurements too, such as a waist measurement, because just weighing yourself isnt always the best method to keep tracking of your health.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    When I began lifting, I started eating at a surplus (upped my calories a huge amount, staying consistently between 1800 and 2400 calories a day).

I gained 9 pounds but I also gained deltoids, my chest looks much much much better, my abs are stronger, and my butt looks like I could take it off and play a game of hoops with it. And I'm 40, 5'7", and 128 pounds this morning.

Oh, and I gained an inch around my neck, gained a half inch around my waist (which is now gone after a week of "cutting"), stayed the same around my hips, and LOST two inches on each thigh.

Now I'm cutting to get the fluff off. And it's falling off quickly at 1700 calories a day minimum.

If you have a high body fat percent for size (like I did) and want to actually build lean muscle, ignore the scale and focus on the results in the mirror and with a tape measure. Eat to maintain or at a very slight deficit and give it a good 3 months to even start to show results. Body recomposition is not a quick process. It takes a whole lot of time, patience and focus.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    You're not big so don't focus on the scale, focus on body composition (lifting is good). Assuming you work out 3-5 days a week you need about 2100 calories per day to stay where you're at.

Cut a little off that - so lets day 1850 per day. Just aim for that number and continue to lift. You can't build muscle in a deficit - but by not going too low you're going to preserve the muscle you have while getting the cardio and toning benefits of lifting.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    When I went from 900 to 1200, I gained about 4 pounds for two weeks, then it left and took a few pounds with it.
    When I went from 1200 to 1500, I gained about 4 pounds for two weeks, then it left and took a few pounds with it.

Now I lift weights 4x a week and do cardio on weekend, I aim for 2000 calories a day and I lost 24 pounds in 2 months after being at a plateau for 2 years.

Good luck!
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    if your total carb intake increased it could just be water added as your body retains more depending on carbohydrates.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/309135-can-a-high-carb-diet-cause-you-to-retain-water/

could be simple carbs + water that made you gain 2 pounds.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    btw, i love battlestar galactica
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    this happened to me. i gained several lbs of water weight before it slowly went back down to about 2lbs above my weight when i wasn't lifting.

i like to think i've gained 2lbs of muscle!

water weight gains will mask fat loss for the first few months of lifting. and some people don't see the water weight come off until they take a break from lifting.

learn to appreciate your body changing by looking in the mirror. scale weight will not please you while lifting. break the addiction to a random number on the scale and pay attention to the lines of your body, how everything is tightening up, and the fit of your clothes.
  • Whipppets
    Whipppets Posts: 267
    Options
    Like the others I had hit a plateau and decided to up my calories but do more strength training.
    I started doing 2500-3000 push ups and added a 4th body pump.. Quit 3 of my 6 spin classes
    and have seen my arms get larger but my waist get smaller.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
  • sailorsgirl86
    Options

You are awesome, thanks for the link!
  • BrandiBoo84
    BrandiBoo84 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    1520 is my TDEE -20% so I make sure to eat that on inactive days, and then on workout days I do my best to eat back most of my cals or eat over my 1520 before I go :) I want to always try and net that number ;) Sometimes I'm having a hard time eating that much but I do my best. Also I find it easier to eat more on weight lifting days! This is my first time eating more to lose more also but here are some links that helped me figure it out.

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • sailorsgirl86
    Options
    1520 is my TDEE -20% so I make sure to eat that on inactive days, and then on workout days I do my best to eat back most of my cals or eat over my 1520 before I go :) I want to always try and net that number ;) Sometimes I'm having a hard time eating that much but I do my best. Also I find it easier to eat more on weight lifting days! This is my first time eating more to lose more also but here are some links that helped me figure it out.

http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Thanks for the calculator hun, I'll check it out :)

Thanks for the responses everybody, definitely feeling better! Will get out my tape measure & try to ignore the scales.
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that after you lift your muscles swell up from the exertion so you are holding an extra pound or two in water weight after a workout (and the next dat or two while you are sore). If you weigh yourself after a rest day you will see that the weight comes right back off. Just stick with your new plan for a few eeks and you will see great results, I'm sure :flowerforyou: