Bacon engineered in a lab from Pork stem cells

Options
doorki
doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
Science has finally produced something worthwhile!

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/research-innovations/stories/scientists-grow-bacon-from-stem-cells

My question now, is if this becomes a viable source of meat, will vegans and vegetarians come back to their meat eating roots?

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    i don't know.
    as a veggie for 20 years, I ask myself this every time an article is released.
    I guess i have to wait for the official word from PETA??
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm.....genetically engineered bacon.
  • doorki
    Options
    i don't know.

Why do you need official word from PETA?
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    It isn't bacon, unfortunately! Bacon is cured. Apparently it's strips of meat with a soft texture like scallops, which nobody has wanted to taste yet! But I suppose it's maybe the start of lab-grown meat?

For vegans and vegetarians, I suppose a lot would depend on their reasons for being vegan/vegetarian. I've known people who don't like to eat any animal product at all, regardless of whether cruelty was involved, and I suppose this would still count as an animal product?
  • doorki
    Options
    It isn't bacon, unfortunately! Bacon is cured. Apparently it's strips of meat with a soft texture like scallops, which nobody has wanted to taste yet! But I suppose it's maybe the start of lab-grown meat?

For vegans and vegetarians, I suppose a lot would depend on their reasons for being vegan/vegetarian. I've known people who don't like to eat any animal product at all, regardless of whether cruelty was involved, and I suppose this would still count as an animal product?

True, it is technically not bacon yet, but it is pork. The technology is getting there.

I would think that this would allow those who are vegan/vegetarian for moral reasons to enjoy the tastiest of the tasty once again.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot stick. Why do people think genetically altered food is OKAY TO EAT?!
  • delekium
    delekium Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    when bio industry came out, we were told wold hunger would end. it never did. this bacon isn't bringing heaven to earth and sounds disgusting to me personally.
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    wtf??
  • doorki
    Options
    I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot stick. Why do people think genetically altered food is OKAY TO EAT?!

There is nothing genetically altered about this. It is simply "grown" in a lab.

Why is this food not okay to eat?
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    You eat food that has had it's genetics altered*.
    Is that not okay too?

* Both by humans and natural selection.
  • doorki
    Options
    when bio industry came out, we were told wold hunger would end. it never did. this bacon isn't bringing heaven to earth and sounds disgusting to me personally.

It can take decades or even centuries for an industry's full potential to be realized. The first computers were seen in the 10th century.
  • doorki
    Options
    For the late crowd!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    BACON is EVIL!

Cloning is okay.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Praise the bacon in it's ever growing glory.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    i don't know.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcJtvwSOGRgrBq773fQ5HvSkgdcSwT0Nn7qjeCpaHX9Iayk42-
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian and have been for 20 years. I have no moral objection to this. I'd eat it.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Also, whatever PETA's stance is on this has no bearing. As someone who has dedicated her life to animal welfare, PETA is not the end all be all in animal advocacy. I personally stand against most of the things PETA preaches. The head of PETA is a diabetic and takes insulin derived from pigs. They advocate a vegetarian diet for cats which leads to horribly debilitating nutritional deficiencies and death. They secretly euthanize animals. Don't take my word on it, do some research before blindly following some organization's directions.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Well...if they grew human tissue in the lab for consumption, would you eat that? I don't think I could. While I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, I can see how some still wouldn't want to eat the lab grown stuff if it were available.
  • doorki
    Options
    Well...if they grew human tissue in the lab for consumption, would you eat that? I don't think I could. While I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, I can see how some still wouldn't want to eat the lab grown stuff if it were available.

That is nonsensical. I would eat a pig if found in the wilds of my grocer or butcher's shop where I would not eat human flesh regardless of how it was produced. Pork is pork, it is the same cells and molecular make up just different processes were used to tell it to grow.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options

There is nothing genetically altered about this. It is simply "grown" in a lab.

Why is this food not okay to eat?

How is 'grown in a lab' any different than genetically altered? It's entirely genetically altered! It doesn't grow in nature that way. :laugh:

I do not trust it. To each his own, but I try to eat as much organic as possible, non-altered foods and most foods in their raw natural state.