Workouts: Weight Lifting Recommendations

Options
I know many of you will not want to answer this because the question might be too vague in your eyes but I'm just looking for some general opinions - I plan to incorporate weight lifting/training/exercises into my routine this week and I'm wondering if you might have some recommendations for actual weight amounts and exercises that will help me burn fat. (I'm open to any suggestions as I haven't yet purchased any weights but plan to do so tonight).

Some background: Right now, I do cardio about six times per week, anywhere from 30 - 90 minutes, depending on the day. I just began adding daily squats to the routine. My calories are set to 1,500 and I'm striving to lose about one pound per week.

Thank you for your help!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    2 approaches to take here...

1) do whatever you want that will make you work the hardest. Progress is 80% effort and 20% method, so what you do matters a whole lot less than how hard you do it.

2) go with an effective, established "pre-packaged" routine... new rules of lifting, starting strength, etc. They will spell out what lifts to do, reps, sets, etc.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    2 approaches to take here...

1) do whatever you want that will make you work the hardest. Progress is 80% effort and 20% method, so what you do matters a whole lot less than how hard you do it.

2) go with an effective, established "pre-packaged" routine... new rules of lifting, starting strength, etc. They will spell out what lifts to do, reps, sets, etc.

Thanks - I understand what you're saying about effort vs method and I like that.
  • TerranFla1
    Options
    If you are just starting, and/or if you are interested in burning calories more than building muscle, then go for lower weights and lots of repetitions per set. Over time adding weight is safer if done slowly. select weights in the beginning that you can do three sets of 12-15 reps with. I also like to start with weights and do one set of 12, add some weight, do another set, and add the last weight until I cannot quite finish the third set, or it is very difficult. This will gradually increase you weight capacity, while keeping you more in the calorie burn region (aerobic), versus the grunting and straining (anaerobic) region that weight lifters experience. There are many techniques that work as well. Starting low and adding weight gradually is safer and provides more toning than building muscle.
  • erin4455
    erin4455 Posts: 135
    Options
    If you are just starting, and/or if you are interested in burning calories more than building muscle, then go for lower weights and lots of repetitions per set. Over time adding weight is safer if done slowly. select weights in the beginning that you can do three sets of 12-15 reps with. I also like to start with weights and do one set of 12, add some weight, do another set, and add the last weight until I cannot quite finish the third set, or it is very difficult. This will gradually increase you weight capacity, while keeping you more in the calorie burn region (aerobic), versus the grunting and straining (anaerobic) region that weight lifters experience. There are many techniques that work as well. Starting low and adding weight gradually is safer and provides more toning than building muscle.

Well, thank you so much! I'm going to take note of all that and use some of that info when I go buy some weights tonight. Very much appreciate it!
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    strstd.com

the simplest regulator of weights progress Ive ever found.

Keeps you from going off too crazy, too heavy too fast. Keeps you from stalling as well.

THe best place to start? What weight can I only pick up 5-8 times if I use all my strength. Use that as your starting 'heavy' weight. It isn't your one rep max, it's just freaking HEAVY.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    do you have a gym membership?

If so I'd look into something like stronglifts 5x5 to get started. or read new rules of lifting for women