beans and rice?

Options
I love beans and rice, but when it comes to weight loss how will it work?

i was thinking in having a cup of each every day, how does it sound?

thank you all.

Replies

• SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I know one cup of black eye peas is 200 calories and high in protein and iron. I ate a lot of beans during both my pregnancies because I was anemic and I didn't eat much "red meat".
  • curleegirl68
    curleegirl68 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I usually have half a cup of rice and a cup of beans. I love them too. I'm hispanic. lol
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    does it fit in your protein/carb/fiber/calorie macros? Does it give you terrible gas? Does it have added salt and preservatives or is it just beans and rice?

If the first answer is yes, go for it. Second and third are subjective...(aside from sodium)
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you do brown rice, you'll add more fiber.

Beans ~ I like most of them but like black beans the best. Beans also have a lots of fiber.

If you add veggies (chopped fine), you can really get the beans and rice to look like a lot of food and be visually interesting.

For me and my kids, I do beans and rice several ways.

Indian (with dahl beans)
    Mexican (black beans)
    Cajun (red beans)
    Italian (white beans)
  • mrsbigbum
    Options
    Beans and rice sounds tasty. A recipe would be good. Wouldn't mind trying it myself!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Do it!! They are so good for you:).
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you can't eat beans and rice?

Eat it if it fits into your calorie/macro goal.

There's nothing wrong with beans. There's nothing wrong with rice either.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Since a serving of rice is half a cup (cooked) I would do half a cup of rice, one cup beans, and maybe add some protein to the mix (chicken or turkey sausage) and some veggies (tomatoes, peppers and onions). Brown rice is somewhat healthier than white rice, but only moderately healthier so making the switch is up to you. Another alternative to rice would be quinoa.
  • lorealbies
    lorealbies Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I eat a lot of beans and rice too, but for keeping my carbo intake in the limit for that day I usually eat a dinner with fish and veggies.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I eat beans and greens as much as possible. My favorite rice is the short grain brown rice, has a delicious nutty flavor, but I have to limit the rice. Actually I found that potatoes work better. They are ultra high in potassium and fiber. You need both to lose weight.