do your family work out with you?

Options
this morning, for the first time, i took my 12y/o son out on my 4am jog around town. he absolutely loved it and, even though there wasn't much conversation, i felt like it was quality time and a bonding experience.
on pleasant days i'll crowbar the teenager off her computer and we'll all go for a nice, long walk in the woods.

Replies

• kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For the last couple of weeks my 11year old daughter has come out jogging with me in the evening :) I agree about the quality time .
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    No I ran away when I was a teenager.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i hope you have people around you now who you can rely on x
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    For the last couple of weeks my 11year old daughter has come out jogging with me in the evening :) I agree about the quality time .
    and, hopefully, we're encouraging a love of exercise by making it a fun thing.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    I do not workout with friends, family, or anyone. All the extra talking keeps you away from why you are there in the first place and only slows you down (at the gym)

I do run and do cardio with my Fiance though.
  • jak2315
    jak2315 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My husband and my 2 kids (age 14 and 12) like to walk with me. They give me moral support and It's just nice to spend time with them.
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym a lot with my brother. My mom usually goes early mornings while I'm still sleeping. Sometimes I'll go with her on the weekends if she goes in the afternoon.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    i hope you have people around you now who you can rely on x

SuperGirl, PowerGirl, CatWoman, Starbuck & Batman.
  • niki87lewis
    niki87lewis Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old uses small dumbbells to copy me working out in the mornings :-)
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My family members get in such a bad mood when I ask, or demand they join me. So I stopped asking. They are responsible for their own good health and I can't force it. I did try for a while. It was futile.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I tried running with my kids a bit last summer (ages 7, 8, and 2 (stroller)) but my oldest isn't a good runner and is not particularly interested in learning. My middle child now runs at Girls on the Run so her and I did a 5K in December and the new season starts very soon so we'll do another.

What we do frequently though is bike. The kids are slow and complain sometimes. But last summer we would go to the park I run at, and bike for about 40 minutes. Then my husband would take the kids to the play set and I'd get in another 30 to 40 minutes at a more respectable pace. What I figured out is there is FAR less complaining if we go to various other parks so it's something new for them.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    My father, brother, sister in law, and I run a race together every year, but they live in Colorado and I live in WA so we can't train together (plus we all run at different paces.) My husband doesn't have any interest in working out at all, so it's something I do on my own, or with my friends.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    I think running together is nice (for the most part) but in the gym I'd rather keep to myself. I also do not have kids yet so I'm sure my views will change once I do.
  • Bridget0927
    Bridget0927 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! I love it !! My hubby and I always work out together. Gym time, runs outside, etc. When its nice my son 9 does his bike while we run, rollerblading sometimes. As soon as my son is old enough to be allowed at the gym he is coming too. I think its great to get young ppl to make it part of their lives. I wish my parents had done the same for me.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Nope! DH only enjoys outdoor exercise (running; biking). The kids are 5, 3, and 18 months so they do Child Watch at the Y. The oldest does start karate on Wednesday, so that will be nice!
  • jessmart83
    jessmart83 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old daughter loves to do yoga with me in the evenings before bed :)
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    This time of year I swim alone in the mornings, walk with my wife & dog in the late mornings & walk again with my son in the afternoon after he gets home from school. I also swim 2 nights a week with him at the school pool. Once my daughter finishes her Odyssey of the Mind season she'll walk in the afternoons with us too. In the summer I walk in the mornings with whoever wants to go with me, someimes it's just me & the dog but I coach both kids on a summer swim league team........
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I used to plan something outdoors every weekend for all of us to enjoy.

We also do squat night, which is when we use the 100 Squat Android App to coach us all to 100 non-stop squats. The kids have fun just counting off really loud.

I've also been teaching my oldest how to jump rope. Both my kids know how to hula hoop. And we also play games together on the Wii Fit.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Whenever I do Wii Just Dance as a work out my kids will do that with me. If I am just doing a cardio dvd, they do not participate. When it gets warm I am sure my kids will walk and ride bikes with me. I know my son likes to ride bikes with me, my daughter is not very good yet on her bike.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My children do Insanity :laugh: