How to Resist Foods in the Office

Options
sohutto
sohutto Posts: 12 Member
So I overeat when it comes to sugar and baked goods. I absolutely always have to have that donut, and I don't know what it is that is driving me toward it. Please help!

Today a coworker brought in these huge store bought blueberry muffins (the really unhealthy kind - I'm not even logging them yet out of pure embarrassment). Even though I already had my meals planned out for the day, I reached for one! It was like I was watching myself from above with 0 self control. What's even worse: I ate a second one when my coworker didn't eat hers! Now I have so much regret. I'm working out twice today so I can try to burn it off, but I'd really like to just resist in the first place and eat healthy items. I splurge on weekends to try to eat healthy during the week - and am already failing Monday!

I don't understand what's happening in my brain that makes me crave these things so badly. Why can't I stop? What do you do to resist? Should I write things down? Ahhh!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Just say no. It really comes down to willpower. Also, if I entertain eating office goodies, I log it FIRST, then eat. Sometimes after seeing the number of calories I would blow on a muffin or pastry makes me change my mind.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Wish I could help, but I suck at this too. I will resist for most of the day, hoping someone else will eat them. then when the 3:00 sweet craving comes around, I cave.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Read the book "It starts with Food" It really has opened my eyes to not only our physical drive for food, but mental as well.
  • cobalt719
    cobalt719 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm so totally with you. I have the hardest time when people bring food into the office. They just look so delicious and you don't want them to go to waste. Sometimes its just mind over matter telling yourself "no." Sometimes I just compromise and maybe cut the muffin/donut/cookie in half just to have small piece to satisfiy my craving. That way I haven't completely wrecked my calories for the day.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Time and control... eventually after controlling yourself for so long, you won't give saying no a second thought :)
  • MariaLivingFit
    MariaLivingFit Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I've had to deal with similar cravings - actually more of an addiction - to sugar. I really like the book "Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program", because it explains the biochemistry of how our bodies get addicted to sugar and what to do about it. I am still trying to "recover". Just recently I was able to cut out most processed sugars (after quite a few withdrawal symptoms I might add). It's very hard for me. I'm doing okay, but to help myself along I ordered some glutamine and chromium supplements, which I have read are very helpful for these types of cravings. I hope they help. Good luck on your journey!
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    One muffin will not ruin your entire food plan. Account for it, adjust your plan for the rest of the day, and see if you can fit in a half hour's walk (even if it's in the grocery store). It's best to leave room for goodies, or you will just feel totally deprived.

Another thing: figure out what you can eat in the morning that will satisfy your taste buds and keep you from craving till lunchtime. My go-to is Morningstar Farms' Spicy Black Bean burgers. For some reason, they do the trick, and I can resist the siren call of kitchen goodies.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from it! Also, have you ever tried just cutting a little piece off and savor it? Or, if you are like me -once you eat it, you want more. Then dont eat it at all. Hey, if you have room for it calorie wise, go for it. You deserve to treat yourself once in a while. But, not all the time. Good luck!!! My hardest is the salty chips and popcorn
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    Think about how much your workouts burn and when you look at the calorie count simply think "is it worth another 30 minutes or an hour added to my workout."
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I just picture the most disgusting person in the office pawing all the goodies before I got to them.
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Just think, it will get easier and easier within time.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    As everyone on here says, time and control. It takes time to develop the willpower to avoid them. I like the suggestion of logging it before you eat it, that way you have to acknowledge the calories. I would log both of the muffins in your diary today anyway just so you know how much it impacts your counts. Working out is a good plan to offset, but we all make mistakes. Just don't make the same mistake again! Next time, take half! :)
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could keep a picture of a really fit woman in your desk drawer and look at her before you commit to the second (this works for me lol).

I don't think there is anything wrong with the first treat once and awhile, but eating the second is probably the habit you need to harness into a different energy. Maybe every time you resist, you could put five dollars into a jar and once it has accumulated to the right amount, you could go buy yourself a new pair of jeans or a top :).
  • mnb7v3
    mnb7v3 Posts: 21
    Options
    I know that feeling! And when it comes down to it, I agree with those saying that it all really comes down to "Just say no." Sheer willpower. And it's not easy!

Some other things I do are:
    -Remind myself that it's not the last time that treat will ever be there.
    -Think about how yucky/tired it will make me feel afterward
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My recommendation is try clean eating for a couple of weeks. At first it'll be really hard but once you cleanse yourself from processed sugars, white flours and unhealthy omega 6 oils (the type in most prepackage or junk food), you won't need as much will power because the cravings will be gone if not at least reduced. The more "junk food" you eat the more you want. That's what I found anyways. You can add me or take a look at my diary or blog if you want.
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading Salt Sugar Fat by Michael Moss. It's basically an inside look into the food industry and how they have taken these things to manipulate us into desiring more. When I learned that Coca-Cola referred to people like me as "heavy users" it pissed me off so much, I gave up diet coke. If nothing else, it gives you some insight into food. Also, any of the Michael Pollan books are good too.

I also suffer with the same issue, but instead of coming at it from a willpower perspective, I'm now able to find myself angry that the food industry has manipulated the food to make me want it. I don't want anyone to have power over me but me.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid the room (out of sight, out of mind). At least in my office food doesn't last very long, so I go with the thought that if I still want it after eating my lunch than I can have it. The food is usually long gone or starting to look disgusting from sitting out too long or being poked around.
  • sohutto
    sohutto Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I love the book suggestions. I love reading and would like to invest in a book to help with my food control.
    Logging the calories is a great idea. I'm about to log them. I can't believe I ate two. :( It's a good thing I really enjoy working out!

My office also does a once a month birthday celebration for all birthdays which usually involves delicious homemade cake. SUPER hard to resist that one! Or maybe I could make that the one day that I do eat food in the office?

I love hearing that a lot of you have the same problem. I'm not alone!
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Here is a snippet of the book
    "You struggle with food cravings, bad habits, compulsions, and addictions. You know you shouldn't, but you feel compelled to eat these foods. Sometimes, you don’t even want them, but you eat them anyway…. All of which makes you feel guilty and stressed—and more likely to comfort yourself with even more unhealthy food. We’re here to tell you: It’s not your fault. You’re not lacking willpower. You are not lazy. And it’s not your fault that you can’t stop eating these foods."

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/06/15/review-giveaway-starts-food/
    Read the book "It starts with Food" It really has opened my eyes to not only our physical drive for food, but mental as well.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. Everything that goes to the office break room, passes right by my office. Temptation everywhere.

I try my best just to stay out of the room. :flowerforyou: