walking the weight off??

Options
124»

Replies

• artex1024
    artex1024 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I went from 265 to 188 by walking 2-3 miles a day. At first, I walked about 2.5 mph, but now I walk 5-10 miles a day at 4.5 mph. I love it and it's great for your heart and stress level. The recommended amount is 30 min of brisk walking (3mph) 3-5 times a week, but I'd recommend doing it every day if you can.
  • RhodRhod
    RhodRhod Posts: 109
    Options
    I lost 33lbs just from walking so yes it will help if you watch what you eat.
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 10# simply walking 4 miles 3-4 times a week and watching what I ate. my neighbor lost over 100# by just walking. If you are doing something, it's better than doing nothing. I eventually added in some workouts I can do at home. I like to do the wii exercise games. I am currently doing The Biggest Loser Challenge and 30 Day Shred. I don't have to leave my house to do it and with the biggest loser challenge, I can set up the length of my challenge for 4, 6, 8 or 12 weeks and the level from easy to Hard (actually I think there is one level up from hard). and the length that you want to work out - I am doing an 8 week challenge on the Challenging level for 20 minutes. Every week you get a weigh in just like the biggest Loser reality show. Keeps me motivated looking for my Monday morning weigh-ins.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Loving this topic and everyone's great stories. I don't know if it's just the posts I choose to read on here or what, but sometimes I start to feel like if I'm not squatting 300 lbs while jump roping uphill barefoot in compression pants, I'm not working hard enough. :)

I agree.
  • iceman7840
    iceman7840 Posts: 110
    Options
    Walk your heart out. That is how I got my start and a year later after all the cardio, crossfit and weight training I still find the time to walk a few times a week. Not only is it good for you but I find it very relaxing and peaceful.
  • SexyTmar
    SexyTmar Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    For the first month and a half after I joined MFP, just changing my diet and eating healthier was my focus.

After that, I started walking on my treadmill. I watch Netflix while I walk, so sometimes I do an hour and sometimes I do more!

After a month or so, I incorporated a wii fit plus or zumba workout after the walking. Because both of these are Wii games, it makes it a bit more fun and challenging and you can build custom workouts, but you can get regular workout videos as well. Right now, these workouts are fairly short for me but I am working my way up to longer sessions as my cardio improves :))

Whatever you do, it is better than doing nothing and can only benefit you. I hope you find something you really enjoy and good luck with your workouts!
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    We walk with our dogs for at least an hour every day. Our Jack Rusell terrorist is unbearable in the evening if he hasn't had his hour.

Until very recently that was our only exercise, and it's still our main exercise.

YOUR DOG IS A TERRORIST?!!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Every bit helps! My mom actually has to make an effort to maintain her weight because as soon as she adopted her dog and started going for hour-long walks twice a day, she started losing weight unintentionally. Granted she eats like a bird but she wasn't losing before the walks started.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    We walk with our dogs for at least an hour every day. Our Jack Rusell terrorist is unbearable in the evening if he hasn't had his hour.

Until very recently that was our only exercise, and it's still our main exercise.

YOUR DOG IS A TERRORIST?!!

:laugh: I don't think it's an accident "terrier" and "terrorist" sound so similar!

(Joking, btw...I've had terriers my whole life and love them to pieces...but they can be quite rambunctious little troublemakers without their exercise!)
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 80 pounds by walking (okay, an occasional half-hearted attempt at an aerobic DVD). So yes, it can be done!

I now run, do the spin bike, and strength training DVD's.... but my favorite activity? Walking! I walk every day and prefer it to all my other activies. :smile:
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Walking is great as a form of exercise, even if you do other kinds of activities. And sometimes the peace and quiet on a walk (I'm lucky to live in an area where those are possible) help to keep me on track in other areas of my life. So walk on.
  • Wanting2BSkinny
    Options
    bump
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i like walking with my dog because he's young and he forces me to pick up my pace, we usually go for a 20 or 30 minute walk, but i need higher impact cardio exercise to lose weight. walking alone doesnt do it for me.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I love to walk. It's an hour to myself to clear my mind, listen to some good tunes, and get a workout in too. I walk 3 miles a day on the treadmill and am slowly building up to running. Forrest Gump had it right. :tongue:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    It's a great exercise. I live in the country and a walk around the section is 4.7 miles and takes me an hour and a half, more or less. Depending on whether I stop at the alpaca farm to look at the new crias ( calves, foals...) The only time I had to worry was on a secluded and overgrown section of road where the houses were far apart, the woods crowded the road on both sides, and a van with two guys slowed way down and looked at me in a way I was not at all happy with. I don't take that side road any more. I've seen eagles, herons, wild turkeys, deer, turtles, three baby raccoons looking out of a hole in a tree, all of that. Gonna start walking again come warm weather. .
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Hiking or walking on hilly terrain burn a lot more calories.
  • cthompson1002
    cthompson1002 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. Keep up the good work.
  • tenintwenty
    Options
    I lose about a pound per day walking with a 40 lb pack for 6-8 hours per day or a lb per 3 days without the pack. Any less than that, and I doubt walking is going to produce much in the way of weight loss. It's just walking. Our bodies were designed to do it efficiently for most of our waking hours.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone may be walking along with proper diet and losing weight? I love to walk, its about the ONLY exercise I enjoy! I've never been a gym goer (yes, I did try it and had to drive 20 minutes to get there every day) I'm in the country and thinking I would love to walk, but I'm not sure how long, how fast or if it would help at all. Anyone having success with it?

I did enjoy moderate success with it, but eventually my body got so used to me walking 8 miles + every day, it became very efficient at doing it and it became more about fitness than weight-loss...but cycling or anything that raises your heartbeat with a decent ( but healthy) calorie deficit will yield in weight loss
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I do lots of walking. Some general, but most at a 4.0mph pace. Really good steady burn and I am losing weight.