What fills you up?

Options
chette78
chette78 Posts: 82 Member
I need things that fill you and are healthy so I am not hungry in 20 min...Snacks, Dinners, Lunches....Anything is welcome and if you happen to know the recipe the way you like it that would be great too!

Replies

• AshS1050
    AshS1050 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    in an effort to boost my protein intake, this morning i revamped my breakfast smoothie by just adding some protein powder. it filled me up SOOO much that i had to motivate myself to eat lunch 4 hrs later! so apparently protein really is the best filler. i'm betting any meal you can make that is high in protein will make you feel full longer. MSN had a good article abt that this morning:

http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/new-best-foods-weight-loss

btw, smoothie was: 1 cup kale, 1/4 cup strawberries, 1/2 a banana, 1/4 cup soy yogurt, 1/4 cup soy milk, 1 scoop soy protein powder, 1 tblspoon ground flax seed.
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and celery mmmmm good long time before you will get hungrey.
  • bostonbren
    bostonbren Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    protein !
    I eat 4oz skinless chicken breast every 2-3hrs (nothing after 7pm) all within my calorie limit. The protein & the short length of time between is a huge filler. When I don't have protein I don't stay full long. I also drink 16oz of water with every meal working towards a gallon a day.
  • traceyaand
    traceyaand Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My protein shake! For sure. I was amazed at the difference between my old shake (Visalus) and my new one (Cytosport). Cytosport has 27 grams of protein per serving, compared to 12 in Visalus. That truly makes a difference. I add a banana and a Sugar Free Cocoa packet. Yum! Good to go until lunch. I've usually have one for breakfast and had one with my dinner last night. These feel like a DQ treat! LOVE them. I got my giant bag of powdered mix at Costco. My husband is a personal trainer and he loves it too.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I look you should also look at your sugar intake. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw that for breakfast you took 6 tsp of sugar, plus native valley granola bar and yogurt (on some days). That is way too much sugar. I am not saying you should give up, but try taking 1 tsp less every day until you are at least down to maybe 2 or 3. One of the things I pay particular attention to is my sugar and salt intake, I have 1- 1 1/2 tsp in my porridge (I am trying to wean myself off) to only have sugar from when I eat fruit.

As someone who do not eat any meat/chicken/sea food, I get a lot of my protein from eating salmon and I love black lentils (which gives you 9 grams of protein per 1/4 cup dry). Tomorrow I plan to have that for lunch along with mango lassi (plain yogurt with mango and milk) about 10 grams of protein plus what I will get from the black lentils.. That will keep me full until at 5/6 p.m. in time for dinner.
  • sweetawreet
    Options
    I agree with a couple earlier posts -- protein will fill you up, sugar will make you hungry. I try never to eat sugar for breakfast, because it ruins my whole day.

A successful breakfast for me lately is: baked tofu with garlic/ginger/scallion infused soy sauce, 1/2 c brown rice, and some veg. The protein and fiber fill me up, and the umami taste from the soy sauce makes me feel full and satisfied for several hours.
  • justjean
    justjean Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Check out my open diary! I'm never hungry, I try to eat fresh things I make at home. 1/3 cup of Steelcut oats is easy to prepare and keeps me full for longer. I'll add some cheese and protein sometimes as well. It's easy because I have a electric kettle, I pour some water in and 10 minutes later my oats are ready.
  • teksurv
    teksurv Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This keeps me full for 2-3 hours:

Serves 3 (makes ~3 cups)

1 large chicken breast, cooked, cooled, and chopped
    1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
    2 Tbsp dijon mustard
    1/2 lemon, juice
    1/8 tsp dried dill weed
    1 stick celery, diced
    4 celery leaves (from the top of your celery stick), minced
    2 Tbsp red onion, diced
    1/2 cup apple, cut into chunks
    1 heaping Tbsp raisins
    6 walnuts, roughly chopped
    8 grapes, sliced in half
    In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. And done.

Be sure to let your chicken cool before mixing it all together. Enjoy! <3
    Credit: http://immaeatthat.com/2012/09/07/greek-yogurt-chicken-salad-for-your-sandwich-or-sweet-potato/

Calories: 485
    Fat: 16
    Sodium: 460
    Carbs: 65
    Sugars: 22
    Protein: 50

This is for the entire batch.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Food for one thing. I know you're just doing what "MFP told you to do" but really, you're eating like a 5' nothing 80 year old calorie wise. You may want to reconsider your weight loss goals to be somewhat less aggressive. I know, everyone...including myself gets all gung-ho and picks 2 Lbs per week...I did it for a couple weeks and decided that I simply wasn't going to be able to last on that restrictive of a calorie deficit.

I had to ask myself, do I want to drop some quick pounds here, but ultimately not be able to stick with it and ultimately fail...or do I want to lose somewhat slower but be happy and not hungry and be able to eat many of the things I enjoy eating without throwing myself off my diet? I ultimately went with option B as it is much more realistic and I know that I'm in it for the long haul...had I chosen option A I can tell you, I'd probably be right back where I started by now rather than 25 Lbs down. It's slow, and it's going to most likely take me over a year to get where I want to be...but it's really not hard and I'm never really hungry or have hunger pangs.

If you want to stick with the more aggressive approach, you're going to have to really watch the kinds of food you're eating to make sure you're getting proper nutrition. That's the true difficulty of a 1,200 calorie plan...getting all of the nutrients your body needs. Look towards lots of lean proteins like chicken, turkey, fish...you want a lot of protein to both keep you satiated, as well as preserve LBM at any deficit, but particularly an aggressive deficit. Lots of veggies as well...all colors of the rainbow to get your vitamins and minerals and lots of satiating fiber...nuts, berries, fruit...lots of whole foods. Lean proteins and whole foods are your friend here as you get a big bang for your caloric buck.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Chocolate peanut butter protein powder with 2 tbsp of PB2. Love it!
  • LINDYLOU67
    LINDYLOU67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds can be added to pretty much anything... look like poppy seeds initially, but expand considerably in fluids. I love to add to smoothies and yogurt. They're high in fiber and the texture reminds me of tapioca. Definitely helps to keep me full!

For more info:
    http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/diet-tips/ask-diet-doctor-should-i-eat-flaxseeds-chia-seeds-and-hemp-seeds
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My afternoon go to snack as of late is a banana with homemade almond butter. Just enough saltiness with the protein that I need. Almonds, peanut butter, Kind Bars-really good!
  • Kaylaef
    Kaylaef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Hard Boiled eggs, I tend to have two for breakfast--and then much one some fruit abound 11 or so before lunch. I try to eat as raw of a diet as possible.
  • joeherbert48
    joeherbert48 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of chicken legs. Sometimes 2 a day everyday. Sometimes with spaghetti and sometimes with beans and mashed potatoes an okra. Tyson's or Pilgrims are the most healthy chicken legs I've found so far. (no added salt)

Try to add as much protien to your diet as you can EACH meal. Forget the fiber. I've found that 1/2 of a 1/4 quarter cup of peanuts or any kind of nuts really kills the need to eat. I'm allowed a 1/4 cup a day so that's two filling snacks right there.

If you gotta have filler though think of things that blow up or swell in water like Spaghetti, beans, peas, corn. Anything that swells if you put it or soak it in water is a filler food. I found if you soak the 2oz of spaghettie overnite you can get up to 7oz of spaghetti out of it and it still has no more calories than the 2oz of uncooked spaghetti you started with. I eat it practically everyday now.

Ribeyes 4oz is high in protein and believe it or not it's part of my breakfast plan. I have a 4oz ribeye (when they are onsale), a hash brown patty and 2/3 cup of okra. I stay full for hours and like someone else above I have to almost force myself to eat lunch.
    They have sales here from time to time ribeyes are only 4.99 or 5.99 a lb. I grab a bunch and cut them into 4oz cuts. So like 4 meals per steak. Oh sure I could eat the whole thing but less not go overboard. My doctor says everything is alright to eat as long as in "moderation". That's what most people can't do is stay within the moderation limits. Fillup on protein and you can.

There's a protein bar at Walmart's. Double chocolate Vanilla crunch that has 17 protein in it. Low carbs, medium fats, no fiber at all and it is a good breakfast food as well with a glass of milk. Fill you up for hours.

But, there is another ingredient to dieting, Stop thinking about food or your next meal or watching the clock. Focus your mind on something else or do something. Make the time pass without food. The computer usually does the trick for me since I can't walk very well (had a stroke from too much salt) But, I've found if I focus my mind on something else and not about food it makes it a lot easier between meals. If I don't and just watch tv it doesn't work I end up binge eating everything I can get my hands on.

Another inexpensive meat I eat with high protein is Lean Bottom Round steak. Still 4 to 5 oz though. Just replace it with the Ribeyes from time to time. I think it's usually 2.99lb but the last batch I got was 1.99lb if you have an Albertson's watch for sales on it.

One thing of note ground beef or commonly called hamburger meat does not have the protien in it like regular steaks and roasts. Get the real deal and ground it yourself if you have to. Grocers will leave a lot of fat in hamburger and not much comes out protein. I bought a Pound of 73% burger meat and only got 8oz of cooked meat. Think about how much you are paying per ounce when you buy hamburger meat. Most of it is fat and water that comes out when you cook it.