I have a weight bench & an elliptical... now what?

Options
I just got my elliptical set up yesterday. All I could manage was 5 minutes, but my goal is to increase my time by 5-10 minutes a week until I'm up to 45+ minutes.

I also have free weights & a weight bench.

Should I alternate cardio & strength training? Cardio daily, with strength just a few days a week?

Replies

• MOaishia
    MOaishia Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't overwhelm yourself. If you want to try some strength training maybe try a couple days a week at first. Light weight. Focus on form first.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Kinda depends on your goals, but generally speaking I'd do a nice mix of both... 3-4 days of cardio and 3-4 days of strength.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks! My immediate goals are to get my resting heart rate down to something more normal (currently between 90 - 100 bpm), and get in shape.

I suppose I just need to experiment and find a schedule/routine I can live with.
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    start off with weight training then finish off with some cardio...total workout about one hr....3 days a week..
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Good for you in taking the steps to a better life! When I got on the eliptical in July 2012, I wanted to punch things after 5 minutes!! In about 3 months, I was up to 45 minutes.

With that said, concentrate on the weight lifting. You may be different but I saw very little results with just elliptical (besides endurance), I needed to add weight training.

Good Luck!