Need help - exercise routine, home gym vs. gym

Options
I'm still struggling to nail down what my exercise routine should look like.

I'm 42, 5' 3", currently 140 lbs. I work full-time and go to school part-time. I have herniated discs in my neck, and my left foot has a history of stress fracture after being broken twice. I currently do 20-30 minutes of cardio (walking either Leslie Sansone video or outside) and 30-45 minutes of cardio on the weekends for a total of 5-6 times per week. I weight train, either circuit or sets, at home 2-3X per week for about 20 minutes per session.

I commute almost 30 miles to work each day, and the gym I belong to is in the opposite direction about 20-25 minutes away so I find that the only time I can go is on the weekends. I have a weight bench at home, a set of weights, an exercise ball, medicine balls, etc. but I don't have any cardio equipment at home. I live in Minnesota so working out outdoors isn't always feasible.

Can someone recommend a good routine for me? I feel like I should be doing more, or at least mixing up my routine a bit. And do you think it would be worthwhile to look at getting a treadmill for home?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm 35, 5'2", and 143ish pounds, looking to go down to 120 lbs.

If I was in your shoes, 40 hrs/wk work, plus 20 hrs/wk school... I'd be immediately ditching the gym membership (save money & time), and get my favorite piece of cardio equipment to use at home.

When ever I have time in the evening, I can go in my garage and hop on my elliptical machine. Best $1,000 I ever spent. Treadmills may be cheaper than ellipticals, but think how many months of a gym membership that is - or how much gas for the 20-25 minute drive to the gym.

I can't help you much with setting up a routine - as that's my current struggle as well.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Get an xbox kinect and do Zumba, dance central and stuff like that.... I live in MN also and I have NO desire to go and drive to a gym in this crap weather... I do Zumba for like 45 min to 1 hr and I burn between 430 and 500 cals a session... But I am also 5' 4" and 160 lbs. I use this calculator for my Zumba calories

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • katmumn
    katmumn Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Get an xbox kinect and do Zumba, dance central and stuff like that.... I live in MN also and I have NO desire to go and drive to a gym in this crap weather... I do Zumba for like 45 min to 1 hr and I burn between 430 and 500 cals a session... But I am also 5' 4" and 160 lbs. I use this calculator for my Zumba calories

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

There is a Zumba version for the Wii too isn't there? I will need to get my Wii back from my 20 yr old, although he also has an XBox so I guess I could borrow that too. Thanks.

Yes, this winter has been brutal for trying to work out outside. Some of the sidewalks near me are still pretty icy.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,156 Member
    Options
    I just got the Zumba DVDs but haven't really explored them yet. My subdivision gym has classes but I think I want to try it out myself first. I just started doing the Jillian Michael's 30 day Shred this month. It's 20 minutes a day and combines cardio, strength and abs. There's a group on this forum for people doing it in March.