Sodium Intake??

Options
2»

Replies

• kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I cook almost entirely from scratch, never use salt (I don't think I've touched the salt shaker in two months), and eat mostly fresh produce, and still my sodium goes above 2500mg almost every day! I do use the frozen chicken breasts 3ish times a week, so maybe that's it, and I think my protein shake has quite a bit in it, but other than that, I can't figure out where it comes from every day, haha. I do drink loads of water to combat it, but I'd like to figure out how to get it consistently under 2500mg. Ugh!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    You need *some* sodium in your diet, but not too much. You can mitigate the effects of excessive sodium intake if you up your potassium. Yes, bananas, but also things like spices have a lot of potassium. I thought spices had no calories to speak of so I didn't log them, but ever since I started, I discovered that quite a lot of them have huge amounts of potassium (and negligible calories). The nice thing about spices is that they will make up for the flavor you are used to from salt. I know it is hard to retrain your palate away from salt, but healthy eating kind of requires it even if weight loss doesn't.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I try to keep the sodium down because I notice that I bloat more with high sodium foods. I also have fibrocystic breasts, which I notice swell and are more tender when I eat too many salty foods.