kids are mean

Options
i was in walmart mcdonalds getting my fiance some food (i dont eat mcdonalds) and a kid (about 10yrs old) points to me and yells out "your fat" i grabbed my food and just walked out. im so mad and upset (and i know i shouldnt be) but i am! :(

Replies

• DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Sorry that happenned to you. Take solace in knowing that his mother was probably horrified that her child behaved that way. I know I would be.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Kids can def. be nadty. Their little moral systems are still developing, and of course how their parents speak to (and around) them, has a big effect. Dont let it bug you too much. Youve lost 70 lbs, you're doing great :)
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I would have smacked my kid right up side the head and then make him apologize. Just plain rude....and by the way you look great. so eff that damn brat :flowerforyou:
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow.....wow....omg....I can't imagine what the kid hears at home if they just blurted that out! On a nicer note....I got hugged by a special needs girl who said I was soft & squishy like a marshmellow:) So much sweeter when not backed w/malice...
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Best to not let it get you down.
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    don't feel bad kids say lots of things and alot of times don't understand what they are really saying or the meaning of it. My 5 yr old sometimes when I am excercising really hard and sweating and have to take a drink is like Mom why are you stopping to take a drink. You gotta do what the ladies doing you don't want your tummy to grow all big and round. And I just have to laugh and say yep you're right honey just needed a drink. they don't say things to be mean when they are really little they just say things without thinking about it. if it was an older kid though then that is really rude I woulda just said be careful what you say God may cause you to gain weight when you get bigger. Don't worry about it you look great, I don't even know what that kid was talking about.
  • Sarahkoolkatkitty
    Sarahkoolkatkitty Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    As a mom of 4, I have to say a 10 year old should know better. I'm guessing that kid is not learning the right way to treat others from his parents or has a condition which limits his ability to filter. I'm sorry that even happened. You definitely do not look fat in your picture!
  • bethierose
    bethierose Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    At 10 years old, that is out of control... I am so sorry that happened to you. You are doing great! I would have "accidentally" punched him.. haha ;)
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I would have smacked my kid right up side the head and then make him apologize. Just plain rude....and by the way you look great. so eff that damn brat :flowerforyou:

Yes. Smack the children. Always good advice.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Kids are such a-holes. That's when you point at him and say "you're rude (or mean)."

Well, not really. For some kids, even negative attention is pay-off enough. Best no attention.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

YUP!!

little fker! grr :mad:
  • StacieHof
    StacieHof Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Young kids make dumb comments my oldest of 5 was at the DMV with my husband and pointed to the guy in front of them and asked my husband "Daddy who is that bad man!" My poor husband was so embarrassed but she was only around 3.5 or 4 years old. I agree with the others saying if a 10 year old says things like this it's a parenting problem. So not all kids are mean...some parents are stupid! Hope you have a better day and try to see your here working on your issues this poor kid is going to have a rough life.
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i was in walmart mcdonalds getting my fiance some food (i dont eat mcdonalds) and a kid (about 10yrs old) points to me and yells out "your fat" i grabbed my food and just walked out. im so mad and upset (and i know i shouldnt be) but i am! :(

10 is old enough to have known better. I taught my kids to reply with what Bill Cosby taught us watching his TV show Fat Albert. It is simply SO.....
    Most kids are impulsive and in today world Fat has other meanings like cool.....Yea he was rude.

Be happy do not let 10 yrs old take your joy.

Patsy
  • Sorashi
    Sorashi Posts: 41
    Options
    Not only kids, also grown ups, but heh don't let it get you down, it should make you stronger.
  • jennsavage3
    jennsavage3 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh, no! He was probably showing off to someone, but hopefully he did realize that was a totally crappy thing to do...this might haunt him for a while. Sorry you had to go through that! You look awesome in your pic!
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    10 is too old for that, and I hope the parent had a serious talking to.

However, this reminds me of when my son has just turned 3, we were on a bus and this woman got on and sat down, she was really big, like, sitting with legs apart and stomach almost touching the floor. She was the biggest person I have ever seen, and the biggest person he had ever seen. My son was staring at her and I discreetly distracted him, but he kept looking toward her despite my efforts. Eventually he blurted out, "That lady has a really big belly!" and I quickly shushed him and hoped she hadn't heard because she was far enough away and he didn't yell. The woman did hear, she turned to him and told him, "You're a mean little boy and you owe me an apology!" My son apologized because she told him to, but the look on his face at that moment made me want to get up and kick her face in, he was 3, he didn't understand why it was okay to tell someone they have really long hair, that their hair is super curly, or that they are as tall as his Daddy but it wasn't okay to tell someone they have a fat belly. What he did understand was what it meant to be a mean person, and for someone to call him a mean person really confused and hurt him, demanding he apologize just really sent home that he had done something wrong and he didn't understand what. Luckily our stop came up and we got off, the bus driver said something sympathetic to me, and when we got home I talked to my son about how sometimes people's differences make them feel sad, or bad about themselves and that we shouldn't point them out.

It still bothers me years later. I don't know what I should have done, being a city bus she could have been totally off her nut and I didn't want to engage her based on prior experiences with bus-nut jobs. I would have apologized if I knew she had heard him, but I didn't think she had, the bus is loud, he didn't say it loud, and she was a good distance away looking at something else, and I certainly wasn't going to try to get her attention "just in case she did hear" because if she hadn't, I'd be calling her attention to it.

Kids can be mean, 10 is old enough to know better, and kudos to you for not retaliating (I don't know that I'd be so level headed), but I wanted to add this for people out there that have taken harsh comments from young kids - the little ones don't know what they're saying, they just make observations and if you feel like they said something really hurtful, the proper response is not to yell at them and call them mean, it's to tell them, "It really hurts my feelings when you say that", or ignore it and understand that they're still trying to learn how to be people. It's super hard to teach tact to a toddler and as a parent you can't just shove a sock in their mouths every time you're in public (that's illegal, who knew?) Heck, my son is 5 and today at the grocery checkout he was yelling about having an itch in his butt crack that he couldn't itch and he wanted me to itch it. Yeah.
  • jcreazy
    jcreazy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would have insulted him back. That is just me though.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I agree at 10 his intent is malicious and it is a result of bad home training. I have had younger kids like 4 say stuff like wow you are fat but I chalk it up to them not having been around people my size. During my walk today and elementary school was being released many kids were walking home and no one said anything. Just remember you are a beautiful person. Kids say the dumbest things.
  • amosmoses88
    amosmoses88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you're fat, that must make me a hippo. Kids are cruel and they do hurt even though we know it's just a kid that lacks correct discipline. But brush it off. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL and I LOVE YOUR YOUR CURVES!
  • adk88
    adk88 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My five year old niece asked me if my bathing suit bottoms were too tight once and asked why I had "fluffy bits". I still can't wear that bathing suit without a tank top now.

I don't think they meant any harm, but I agree that I hope his parents had a good talking to him! There's no excuse for that at that age!