Is it more expensive to eat healthy?

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
So any studies/stats on this? I know that eating your allotted quota of calories using only healthy choices is tough and requires a LOT of food. Wondering if that also translates into more money spent on grocery shopping. And for this discussion, let us ignore the cost of healthcare to a person of poor eating habits.

Replies

• ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I think it is slightly more expensive doing my weekly shop as I like to buy the nice healthy things that I enjoy . Things like nuts and some fresh fruit and vegetables can be very expensive but I suppose less takeaways and meals out mean that over all I am saving money.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    From a sociological perspective it absolutely does. That's why impoverished neighborhoods tend to be overrun by fast food joints (fast and cheap) whereas stores with healthy foods (fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats) are in more affluent areas.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Nope, I spend less. But I buy lots of vegetables and discounted meat from a high end grocery store and cook more from scratch than "fast food" healthy stuff. I spend less.
  • maggiemay22467
    maggiemay22467 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    yeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssss in winter it is
  • marqcutie80
    marqcutie80 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    From a sociological perspective it absolutely does. That's why impoverished neighborhoods tend to be overrun by fast food joints (fast and cheap) whereas stores with healthy foods (fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats) are in more affluent areas.

^^This is true^^

From personal experience also, yes it's more expensive. For example, bad weather affects crop returns, which then drive up the cost of fresh produce...
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options

True. As any student of economics would tell you, McDonalds is an inferior product - McDonalds has done very well since the 2008 recession.
  • Sorashi
    Sorashi Posts: 41
    Options
    Where I live (Spain) it's not. I don't know how is it in other countries but here veggies and fruits are fresh and quite affordable. Other thing is good quality meat or organic foods, those are more expensive.
  • StephShuttle
    StephShuttle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've just finished my 3 years as an undergraduate student so I've had approx. £0 during that time. When I started Uni I was eating pretty unhealthy buying easy processed and unhealthy food. Then when I realised I couldn't carry on spending so much on food I check out how much carrots were.

I very quickly learn that it was soooo much cheaper for me to buy the ingredients and cook whatever I wanted to eat from scratch. In doing that I accidentally started eating properly.

So in my experience healthy food has been a lot cheaper than unhealthy food!
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yes, particularly if you want to have any variety in your diet and actually enjoy what you're eating. Though, you'll always get people saying stuff like healthy is cheaper and to "Just go to the farmers market! Buy oats and dried beans!"
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Even when you eat a lot of fast food stuff, you still have to make grocery trips for perishable things like fruits/salad/milk/etc.

In my experience, I spend less now buying mostly healthy food with 1 fast food trip a week, as opposed to mostly fast food and still having to replace the perishable food I bought that went bad when I didn't eat it.
  • jess6741
    jess6741 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think certain things like out of seaon fruits and veggies do. But if you are cooking everything from scratch then it isn't. A box of rice and can of beans will cost the same as a meal at a fast food joint but will last for 4 meals instead of one.
  • jzebracki
    jzebracki Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! The price of fruit and veggies is so high - especially compared to about a year ago! Applies used to be $0.89 per pound, and now they are $1.99 per pound! The climate changes have contributed to the higher cost for fruit and veggies.
  • Corruptkitten
    Corruptkitten Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I think in the long run lower quality, less healthy food will cost more in medical bills. Eating healthy is preventative maintenance and an investment in my health. When I shop I try to buy all organic when possible. I just buy what is in season and on sale and honestly it costs about the same if you are smart about it and pay attention to what is on sale. Also if you do your cooking at home rather than buying processed meals it is less expensive.
  • Sorashi
    Sorashi Posts: 41
    Options
    I've just finished my 3 years as an undergraduate student so I've had approx. £0 during that time. When I started Uni I was eating pretty unhealthy buying easy processed and unhealthy food. Then when I realised I couldn't carry on spending so much on food I check out how much carrots were.

I very quickly learn that it was soooo much cheaper for me to buy the ingredients and cook whatever I wanted to eat from scratch. In doing that I accidentally started eating properly.

So in my experience healthy food has been a lot cheaper than unhealthy food!

THIS. I noticed this also when my parents leave me home alone for a month and I should make my meals, I spent more the previous years that I was eating processed and canned foods than this one when I started eating healthy.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think healthy is more expensive.

I bought a 5 pound bag of oranges for $3.49. A 12 oz bag of potato chips would cost about the same.

I also got boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.99 a pound, frozen carrots for $.99 a pound, 10 pounds of potatoes for $3.99 (bogo special). That'll go a lot further than a couple McDoubles and fries. Anyone who thinks anything off the dollar menu is really a bargain needs to do some math and learn to cook.

Now, if you're talking about CONVENIENCE, that's another story.
  • BunkyBumBum
    BunkyBumBum Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you're buying.

I live in the city, today I went to pick up some produce, here's what it looked like:

5 good sized Gala apples
    1 gigantic Organic Fuji Apple (probably $2 all by itself but my 5 year old just HAD to have it)
    2 big bunches of parsley
    2 average heads of endive
    2 average heads of romaine
    1 large bunch of spinach
    1 large stalk of broccoli
    1 big green pepper
    2 large cucumbers
    2 medium zucchinis
    1 average sized brick of locally made tofu
    6 tubs of greek yogurt (usually $1.70 each but on sale 10/$1)

Total? $25

I don't consider that expensive, especially not for city standards.
  • bikinisuited
    bikinisuited Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Our family compose of three spends less money than your typically American family. We eat healhty which includes rice, beans, fashioned oats, eggs, fage yogurt, lots of produce and minimal processed foods. However, when we eat out, we splurge as I like great quality of food and less is better in my opinion...:laugh:
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Well, Costco is my friend for stocking up on non-perishable nuts, brown rice, tubs of chicken stock, and frozen chicken and fish tenderloins. My freeze is packed, but those big bags last me for a very long time.

I hit the local farmer's markets for fruits and veggies, which last longer than store-bought ones. I also find that with planning, I waste a lot less food because I tend to buy only what I need each week and use it all up.
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    At first it seemed more expensive but then I added up the money I was spending on lattes and eat out and junk food. Was a real eye opener. I always try to follow the seasons and eat what is in. Apples are about the only fruit we eat year round. Have also been teaching myself to blanch and freeze fresh veggies and also which fruits freeze well. Recently discovered that pineapple does so when my store had them for $1 a piece. I bought 10 and cut up and froze em. Yum
  • littlebre33
    littlebre33 Posts: 318
    Options
    personally, compared to eating out, no. I found it more expensive getiing fast food

but...

when my bf and i were low for cash we ate alot of spaghetti/mac n cheese/ raman noodles, which were quite cheap, but not very healthy. Now that we are buying produce, fresh meats I'm finding it wayyy more expensive..

that's just my take on it!